iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storm Trees

Started by Slab Slicer, November 06, 2012, 10:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slab Slicer

With the recent storm here in the northeast, there is an abundance of downed trees. Unfortunately, there are more people intrested in making firewood, rather than lumber. One thing they are staying away from are the evergreens. In this case, norway spruce. I've already accumulated a large amount of logs ranging in size from 26" on the small end, down to 11" on the small ends. Ranging in lengths from 10' 6" to 12'. I'm a very small operation, so I can't haul longer than the 12 footers, but will have access to a larger trailer in the coming weeks.. These are all "urban forestry" trees.

Now, finally getting to my question.....would these be suitable for structural lumber, as well as siding for a larger stick framed shed project? No ground contact at all. I'll have to build the base from PT lumber unfortunately.

At this point, the logs are free, other than my chainsaw time, and hauling. In fact, the tree service I work part time for is paying me to remove the trees off of houses, cars, garages, etc, and has no use for the logs.

Thanks in advance for any information / guidance.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Ron Wenrich

I've only sawn a few Norway spruce.  You can use them for structural, but there are a lot more knots then white pine, and it is harder to saw.  The knots are tight.  You won't be zipping through them like you do pine.  Another hard one is blue spruce. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Slab Slicer

Thank you Ron. I'll be sure to pick the best for the structural part of the building. I couldn't pass these logs up. There are so many, I shouldn't have any problems completing the project, and have plenty left over for another, or possibly some sales. Is there any market value for normay spruce?
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Ron Wenrich

Nothing other than utility grade.  I wouldn't use anything with big knots as structural.  I'd also make sure everything is full cut.  For siding, you might find it attractive to use a live edge.  You shouldn't have a whole lot of taper in those logs.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!