iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some of my Pines have Popcorn

Started by Magicman, November 17, 2012, 08:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This is not widespread and the trees affected are seemingly healthy trees. 

The question is obvious.  Should I be concerned or not??

Near the ground.

Further up the same tree. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blaze83

Magic,

I think your pines are trying to fight off a beetle attack, if they are healthy they may do it, If it gets worse you may want to cut them and burn the slash and slabs to kill the bugs......yellowstone in the 80's comes to mind if they get really bad.

just my simp;e opinion.

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

pineywoods

Yep, beetles. You may get lucky and have them hit just a few drought stressed trees. If they start spreading to nearby trees, the only practical solution is cut and burn..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

Looks like black turpentine beetle, not the most aggressive.  Can be treated with regular applications of an insecticide
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Yep, pine beetles.  Looks like black turpentine beetles.  There are three pine bark beetles that infest southern pine.  The deadliest is Southern Pine Beetle.  They are almost always fatal.  They hit the mid to lower bole of the tree.  They can kill acres of pines at a time.  The second is Ips.  They generally only kill several trees at a time in patches, and are usually fatal.  They hit the upper half of the tree bole.  The third is black turpentine beetle.  They always only hit the lower 6 - 8 feet of the tree.  The tree can survive black turpentine beetle attacks.  This might be adult beetles that have hit the tree to survive the winter.  You might be OK if that is the case.  Watch the tree or trees.  If the needles start to turn yellow, well, you know.  You have cut a whack of pine beetle killed SYP  :).

(Note: I see that TR just posted before I did.  Hopefully you have black turpentine beetle and the trees will pull through).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

VT_Forestry

I agree, Black Turpentine Beetles.  There will usually be a lot more fine sawdust around the base of the tree if you are dealing with SPB. 
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

WDH

Yes, the sawdust at the base of the tree is from the secondary attackers, the ambrosia beetles.   That is a clear signal that your tree is toast.  Ambrosia beetles are opportunists.

Maybe this one will pull through. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

I have been told by a forester or two that if the number of BTB pitch tubes is less than the diameter of the tree (in inches), then the tree has a good chance to survive the attack.  The beetles kill by essentially girdling the tree.  If you don't mind, count the pitch tubes and see if this holds true.  Most of the pines that I have seen attacked by any of the three beetles dies.  Have a good Thanks Giving.  Caveman
Caveman

Magicman

I will watch this particular tree.  The tubes in the picture are all that are on the tree.  This activity is not widespread in the plantation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Phorester

I'd also say black turpentine.  Good luck with these pines.  Southern Pine beetles might not be far behind.............

SPIKER

If it is only one you have found perhaps a local spray to keep them in check ASAP?   Not that I'm fond of chemicals there may be some natural fixes too...

MM
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Magicman

Sometimes when you need to kill something you either have to poison it or shoot it.   ;D

tcsmpsi

I have several I am watching with the same symptoms.  Here, we have been really whammied these last few years, with Rita, Ike and long dry stretch finally culminating into the unprecedented drought.  Many have never fully recovered from the beatings of Rita, and then shoved back into the arena.  Lots of tree trauma.  In many regards, it is amazing we have any left.  Once 5 or 6 feet of the top has browned, it is a goner.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Phorester

"Sometimes when you need to kill something you either have to poison it or shoot it."

Not necessarily........

Texas Ranger

apparently she was a music critic.

Planman1954

I think they need to string the guy up!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

WDH

Definition of a Gentleman:

"Someone who knows how to play the banjo, but chooses not to."

Unless you are a musician, you might not see the humor in this, or either you have never met a banjo player.  :D :D :D

Phorester

Sorry, Magicman.  Didn't mean to hijack this thread.  I think they call that "threadjacking".

If you only have this one tree with the Turpentine beetles, I'd suggest cutting it down to avoid them moving into adjacent trees.  After cutting, heat the trunk with a handheld propane torch to kill any larvae inside.  Don't have to burn it, just heat it up good.  Or, i you don't want to cut it down, all the pitch masses are within reach, and it's safe enough, you can simply heat the standing trunk with the torch.

Texas Ranger

I have had success treating with malathion.  Water solution, wetting agent, spray about every 3 weeks, or after a rain, which ever  comes first.

We used to use BHC, but enviros killed it, rightfully so.  Nasty stuff.  Particularly when laced with DDT.  Some slick salesman sold the forest service some BHC and forgot to mention the DDT in it.  Embarrassing.

Magicman

I will be walking over the entire Pine plantation during deer season.  I can then see if this is widespread or just an isolated instance. 

Hanging sounds like a good idea.  Dead is dead.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!