iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4-Way Wedge

Started by Knute, March 29, 2019, 07:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

Wondering if anyone is using a 4-way splitting wedge on their woodsplitter and if so, do you like it. Considering one myself but never used one so looking for advice.

hedgerow

Answer to your question is yes I am using actually a six way on a homemade firewood processor with a six and half inch cylinder. Now the answer to the second part of the question is I like it some days. Multi wedges are good if you have the power, strength and the right wood. I have two of the three. If I were only splitting ash the multi works great problem is I mostly split locust and hedge and it can get ugly. When you watch all the Utube of the multi wedges they are usually splitting nice easy splitting rounds. What do you have for a splitter and what type of wood are you splitting?

barbender

I made a 4 way for my MTD horizontal/vertical splitter, and used it once. They don't work very well on the moving wedge type splitter like mine, the wood ends up hung up on the wedge and not split all the way.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

I have an 8 way I made, and rarely use it.  we split mulberry and elm.  if you get half way though, it may take 30 minutes to get it off your wedge.  I use a chain and pull back with the cylinder.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

Quote from: barbender on March 29, 2019, 08:19:40 PM
I made a 4 way for my MTD horizontal/vertical splitter, and used it once. They don't work very well on the moving wedge type splitter like mine, the wood ends up hung up on the wedge and not split all the way.
That is the problem I faced when I built one for a customer. The machine also did not have enough power so we installed a larger engine and cranked down the relief valve only to bend the ram. Fortunately the hoses held. It worked reasonably well on pine but sure didn't like fir or birch.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

upnut

I have a light-duty 4-way wedge from TSC for the 22 ton splitter which works ok on perfectly straight grained wood. Once it's stuck in a gnarly piece it's a pain to remove and easily bent up. After several sessions of straightening and reinforcing I only use it to make kindling out of perfectly straight wood...

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

barbender

Yep, I kind of feel multi-wedges only belong on push through type splitters👍
Too many irons in the fire

Hilltop366

I have thought of making a three way split "T" or "Y" shaped wedge with the top wedge sticking out further than the horizontal to start the split first.

Also the top would be deep enough to hold the block to return it for a second split if required. I have a push through wedge splitter.

thecfarm

I had one built for mine. Just slipped over the head.

It worked ok on certain size wood. Now I split some pieces that are 2 feet across. I can no longer use this wedge. I added on to the top of the wedge about 6 inches for some of the big wood I was splitting. I had some 3 feet across. That add on of 6 inches made things so much easier. This is mostly white pine,soft wood. I was using the 4 way on hard wood,when I was burning wood inside.
I posted about this before. I have more pictures in my gallery that I put on another thread. It's under wood splitter,easy to find.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Knute

Thank You for all the information. I have an older TSC splitter which I replaced the engine with a 6 hp BS last spring. It is a push through type. Based on all the info, I'm not sure it is a good idea for me. My wood is almost all oak with some cherry and the oak can be difficult when it is not frozen.

doc henderson

i think that is wise, or you may spend your time finding the next weak link and not splitting wood.  My splitter has a 8 x 8 H-beam and a 18 hp motor, and I rarely use mine (8 way wedge).  It is like computers, in the long run prob. a wash in terms of time savings.  IMHO
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

goose63

Mine had a bolt on 4 way its just a one way wedge now from the start
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

hedgerow

Quote from: Knute on March 30, 2019, 02:12:55 PM
Thank You for all the information. I have an older TSC splitter which I replaced the engine with a 6 hp BS last spring. It is a push through type. Based on all the info, I'm not sure it is a good idea for me. My wood is almost all oak with some cherry and the oak can be difficult when it is not frozen.
If your oak is like what we have around here the grain seems to be twisted a far amount and a four way will probably break your splitter. Any time saved splitting will be more than made up in doing and paying for repairs on the splittter.  

GRANITEstateMP

I have an old American brand splitter, for 4ft wood.  We have a slip on 4 way.  Depending on the wood it either gets used a lot or almost none!  Last weekend we did a cord and a half of the oversized and crooked wood that my processor won't eat with that splitter.  The 4 way was on for 3/4 of the time. Since it's a slip onon, it's easy to pull off when that ugly, knotty piece of beech is next up on the brow!

This is the ole girl

Business end

4 way slipped off.  The regular wedge needs some touching up and sharpening, it's been a lone winter and this thing feeds 2 OWB plus my smaller oversized pieces
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

jmur1

Hi Knute:
Read this post through and find myself nodding and agreeing with everything here.  I have spent a considerable amount of time messing around with two different wedges on my processor.  I am sure some of my findings are also applicable here.  
My first wedge design was intended for smaller log diameters, and used an "up and out" approach to the split wood pieces.  It worked very well  except when I got into some Ironwood or knotty Cherry where it could bind up very tight.  Note - both my wedges have an angled cut face mainly on the top of the horizontal wedges (just a bit on the bottom-side).  I felt that if you drove the wood pieces downward after splitting the binding would be a major problem.  (Also in the processor the wedge is height adjustable - so binding down would mean you could not adjust the height easily without removing wood from the wedges)   

The second wedge was larger without the top brace and worked very well for larger log sections - but still gave large splits that often had to be run through again. 

A major difference between the two is the main vertical wedge width.  On the smaller one it is 3/4" and on the big one it is 1".  The thinner one splits easier - hands down.  Even though it is out of the processor in the pics above - it is the one I use the most.

Anyhow ....I have not seen an add-on 4 way wedge that tries to do this on a hand splitter.  But if there was one out there it should work better and would not bind up as bad.  I may try to add this to my hand splitter - Ill keep you posted. 
Easy does it

Thank You Sponsors!