iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A nice day for it

Started by Peter Drouin, March 09, 2014, 12:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

This is the time of the year I put up firewood for next year.

I pick it up with John and dump the wood on some logs and cut them up

Then fill the truck. Works ok, I do like to do firewood, It's a nice brake from sawing all week. It was so nice I let them out too. ;D

And some hardwood saw logs I have to get to.

Well lunch is over back to play  :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Peter Drouin

Got all the wood I cut today split and stacked 6' wide 4 1/2' high 16' long and helped a customer too. not to bad for a 59 year old man  ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

You're going to have eye lid trouble like Lyle over in Alberta. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Looks good Peter. I need to take lessons.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Most years I cut a little at a time all winter but this year I'm way behind. We got a wet snow early that had ice under it and then snows just kept pilling on top, now its warming and anywhere without ice is mud. I hope I can soon work at it without the mess.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Peter Drouin

Quote from: gspren on March 09, 2014, 08:07:52 PM
  Most years I cut a little at a time all winter but this year I'm way behind. We got a wet snow early that had ice under it and then snows just kept pilling on top, now its warming and anywhere without ice is mud. I hope I can soon work at it without the mess.

It has been a hard winter. Good luck  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Alcranb

Geesh!! Peter you gotta slow down. Your gonna make us chronologically challenged guys look bad   :D
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

scleigh

Peter,
I use the exact same setup when splitting a truckload of wood. I put the splitter behind the truck, on oil change ramps

to raise height, and throw wood into bed.
I takes about 4 splitting/throwing/stacking sessions to get my 14 ft. bed fully loaded.

WDH

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 09, 2014, 07:45:20 PM
not to bad for a 59 year old man  ;D

Peter,

You are just a sprite. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on March 10, 2014, 11:59:38 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 09, 2014, 07:45:20 PM
not to bad for a 59 year old man  ;D

Peter,

You are just a sprite. 

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Is that you in the new Sawmill and Woodlot mag top right corner page 3?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Don't know  :).  I have not seen the magazine.  Is it a handsome guy?  If so, must be me  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

All done last sat

10 or so cords, I lost count  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

If I ever come to New Hampshire, I will want a "How to Cut and Stack Firewood" lesson  :D.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on March 31, 2014, 11:50:40 PM
If I ever come to New Hampshire, I will want a "How to Cut and Stack Firewood" lesson  :D.

:D :D smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

petefrom bearswamp

My son and I just got a start on wood for 2015 to 2016 on Saturday.
I always keep 2 yrs ahead.
Still 12" or so snow in the woods but we skid to a central location to buck and split, so the logs are nice and clean.
Peter Is that a winters worth of wood?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

Good job Peter. I have been cutting and thinning,but it's for the guy that buys some firewood from me.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on April 01, 2014, 09:36:49 AM
My son and I just got a start on wood for 2015 to 2016 on Saturday.
I always keep 2 yrs ahead.
Still 12" or so snow in the woods but we skid to a central location to buck and split, so the logs are nice and clean.
Peter Is that a winters worth of wood?

Yes, All I need, and the wife keeps the house at 7o to 80° all winter. :D :D ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on April 01, 2014, 09:38:14 AM
Good job Peter. I have been cutting and thinning,but it's for the guy that buys some firewood from me.

Thanks cfarm, How much firewood do you sell in a year?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

No more than 6 cords.  :)  He saws and splits it up here.

Peter Drouin

That's nice of you to let him work at your place like that. Do you skid the trees to where he cut and splits it?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Yes,I do. My woods is not easy to get around in on a pick up. I lay down some trees, about once every 4 feet. Keeps the tree off the ground. You saw into the ground here and you will probably hit a rock. I do wish he would come get it before the end of Oct.  ::)  I have told him many times,dries better split and in a shed. Or at least in a shed. But each year in Oct,he is here. I did not fix the place up last year for his wood. So it's off to the side waiting for me to lay down some wood first. I almost did it last year,but did not know I would be thinning this area out that I have been wanting to do for 20 years. So now I have to re handle the wood again. So far maybe 2-3 cords.

beenthere

Finally able to get in the woods and do some felling, and collecting of some logs for further processing.
All ash so far.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

Did you have a lot of mud? Here was not bad and was gone in a week.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Peter,still kinda froze here. I have stopped cutting wood in the thinning area for now. That is just about to break up. And with this rain today,just about might be here. The firewood yard has some mud in it. I was able to work around it. Yesterday was the last day for that. Only a few inches of mud there,but that will change. That whole area is full of bark and sawdust. So that keeps it soft longer.

Thank You Sponsors!