iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3pt. hitch spittlers

Started by Redbark, January 25, 2015, 10:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbark

Thinking of going with a tractor mounted wood splitter and hoping to get recommendations on which one and, pros and cons of those who use them. Be using it on a 60hp tractor.
Thanks,
Red

landscraper

I have one, a Kelly brand horizontal I've been happy with.  I've run it on tractors from 40 to 90hp.  Not the fastest thing in the world, it has a sharp skinny wedge on the end rather than on the ram so each piece pushes the last piece through.  It has split everything I've ever been able to lift or roll up onto it.  I hear guys say the best thing to do is skip the remote hydraulics and get a higher flow PTO pump to drive it if you want faster cycle times.  I've never tried that. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

beenthere

Slow is what I have heard, and besides running a big tractor engine rather than a small 8 hp or so.

And it takes a tractor out of the mix for moving wood.

(I use the tractor to move a pallet of blocked wood to the splitter to set up on blocks, and to remove the pallets of split wood to the drying yard. No lifting. The tractor is kept busy.) 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Redbark

Like that idea. Nice way to split big ash and even better idea when it comes to 20" dia. beech.

JohnM

Big fan of my Split-fire.

The duel direction wedge means you're not waiting for it to return each time.  Pros and cons for tractor mount splitter vs. a stand alone.  I've used both and this set-up works well for me.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Hilltop366

I have an older one with a 4" cylinder that i bought second hand (around $400), no idea what kind. It is faster than a axe or maul and wedges and a lot easier but it is a bit slower compared to a self contained one with a two stage pump. I do have a "one of these days" project in mind to make a 4 way wedge for it which will speed things up on the larger pieces.

My brother has a home built one with a 3" cylinder and it is faster with a bit less power.

Some of the advantages of a tractor splitter is when I am done using it I don't have to worry about rotten gas or rusty fuel tanks (that is the biggest one for me). If I am cutting easy to access trees I can cut split and load in the front bucket rather quickly if I only have a limited amount of time that day.  Adjustable height with the ability to lower the splitter to the ground and roll large pieces on the splitter. Compact to store if space is an issue.

Jhenderson

A PTO pump is necessary for reasonably fast cycle times.

r.man

My worry would be fuel consumption and wear and tear on the motor of the tractor. If your tractor gets good fuel economy and wearing it out isn't likely then three points have some good features. My brother had one and found it very slow but it only has to keep up with you. Get the cycle time for the ones you are considering and decide if you can live with the speed.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Polish Hammer

Quote from: JohnM on January 25, 2015, 04:02:05 PM
Big fan of my Split-fire.

The duel direction wedge means you're not waiting for it to return each time.  Pros and cons for tractor mount splitter vs. a stand alone.  I've used both and this set-up works well for me.

I'm with John the split fire is the way to go. Cutting on both strokes saves so much time and the 4 way cutting blade makes it even faster. We run mine as fast as one guy can load the logs and the other runs the control and throws the cut stuff in the pile. My uncle has one that's  12 years old and has split more than 20 cords per season and it's still going strong.
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

DeerMeadowFarm

What's a spittler?  ;D :D ;)

Redbark

Me not too smart. Good thing I'm pretty.

ckhenshaw4

I used a 3 point splitter on my Kubota for approx. 14 years.  By all means, it is better than swinging a maul, but it is slower than a beaver chewing through a steal pole. So this year I purchased a RuggedMade Splitter. Their "37" ton model with the log lift and 4 way splitter, and MAN what a difference in speed, and being able to send the round through once and getting 4 pieces out the other end !!!!  The only problem that I have had with the RuggedMade, is the valve for the cylinder leaked, and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. Really good customer service.  Now to see if it lasts me the next 20 years ????
Getting TOO old to "man handle" wood anymore. Looking at building a firewood processor.

bandmiller2

Any splitter is better than no splitter, and a lot depends on how often and how much you split. If you split up you supply of wood at once a tractor splitter is hard to beat, if you sell and split often your better off with a dedicated splitter. Most tractor hyd. pumps don't have the capacity for snappy splitting, you need an expensive PTO pump. I have built several splitters, all have worked well. I think my next will be electric with the two stage hyd. pump, sure easy to start in the cold and quiet. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

acrosteve

I have one for my 23hp tractor.  Only splits one way, and the wedge is on the ram.  I modified my valve and made a kick out lever, so after I split, it will automatically return and be ready for the next log.  The wait is no big deal, as I use that time to stack the piece  or two I just split.  No log lifter, but i do have a basket on the back side, so very little split wood hits the ground.

You guys with the 4 ways and dual splitters just let the pieces fall on the ground and then pick it all up later?  That's too much bending over for me.
Timberking B-20

beenthere

Easy and cheap to make a temporary "bench" for the backside to let splits drop onto, just a large block on end, or a couple blocks on end with a piece of board on top. Could even have a board ramp to it to roll larger blocks up for splitting.

Also, I've a carrier called a "Firewood Gripper" that is a rubber hose with sharp hooks each end that I find is very easy on the back to pick up blocks for splitting. Saves bending so far down to get hands under the next block to split.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trapper

simular to BT I use a pulp hook use it to pick up one end grab that end with my free hand then grab end on ground with hook.  Dont have to bend over so far.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

John Mc

I use these for picking up the rounds (marketed by Husqvarna, though others make th esame thing)

Saves a lot of bending over, and I can pick the logs up with one hand. Just drop them down over the log and lift. They make both 8" and 12" tongs. I use the 8", since they are smaller and lighter - I can still pick up most rounds up to 12" diameter or more. It does not work so well in split wood (partly because I split things pretty small).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

boilerman101

I've used both. 3 point set up is great if you have the tractor already and you can take it out to the woods.
A tractor can idle for hours without burning much fuel.
Splitfire is a great fast splitter cutting in both directions. I think Central Boilers Stryker is the same thing.
You can see it on video at https://www.youtube.com/embed/jT-SAaMt-wo?rel=0&modestbranding=1&autoplay=1
about 3/4 of the way through the video they show their 3 point model in action.
My boys and I used one. Fast! Wore us out!
Available in many different stroke lengths up to 48 inches. We used a 36" model.

Thank You Sponsors!