iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon 40v Max

Started by KB0NES, September 30, 2011, 12:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB0NES

I just caught a banner ad on Facebook for this new saw. I searched the forum here and didn't see anything yet.

http://www.oregonpowernowtools.com/

Anyone seen one yet? The video kinda sucks, you can't hear it or really see how its cutting. Perhaps for a reason...

All in all I really dislike cordless tools, they always seem to be dead when I need them. But modern LithiumIon/Polymer batteries have made them a LOT better.

This may not be a _bad_ thing for homeowners for pruning and cleanup.

I probably won't trade my 200T for it ;)

Phil
Burnsville, MN
MS 261 & MS 200T

clww

I caught 5 minutes of an info-mercial on TV 2 days ago talking about one. Looked okay, and not very expensive. I think it was under $100.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

KB0NES

Actually they are pretty pricey, MSRP is listed at $399 and $499 if you want the double capacity battery. This appears to be a fairly serious saw, not just cordless junk.

I wish they would rate the amperage of the motor, only spec they give is a no load speed of 6400 RPM as the only data.

I did just see this video on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbtXsV4RZ2w

Here they demo the internal sharpening system by dulling the chain on the asphalt!

I wish there was some idea given of the numbers of cuts per charge etc. The saw is none too speedy all in all, but for a homeowner that starts it twice a year maybe.

Phil
Burnsville, MN
MS 261 & MS 200T

Cut4fun

I was going to say, you better go try close to $400. Husky and Stihl has versions of this out now too.

clww

I'm probably wrong then, it was late at night :D If it's $300-$400, I'd just get another MS290.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

old 030

i also just read about this saw today, saw them priced at 399. and 499. at amazon. biggest advantage i can see, is for early mourning landscape work. the only reason i thought about a cordless saw, is when i need to remove a downed branch or tree on my atv trails that are close to homes, as not to make too much noise, i've used my cordless sawsall on smaller braches, batteries don't last too long on these either, 400. or 500. just for this use is not practical, i'll stick to my hand saw, or wait til the time is right to use one of my quieter chainsaws to reopen the trail ::)

KB0NES

Quote from: old 030 on October 04, 2011, 03:57:06 PM
biggest advantage i can see, is for early mourning landscape work. the only reason i thought about a cordless saw, is when i need to remove a downed branch or tree on my atv trails that are close to homes, as not to make too much noise

These saws actually make a surprisingly large amount of noise. Not sure if they have a gear box or what but they scream in an annoying way. The Stihl International website lists the MSA 160 cordless as actually being louder then most of the smaller gas saws!

Biggest advantage I see is that they start when you pull the trigger, ideal for the very occasional use of a homeowner. Of course this is provided the battery is charged...

Phil
Burnsville, MN
MS 261 & MS 200T

old 030

it did sound loud in the video, sounded like whining reduction gears, i'm shure they will work on that, let's hope they work on the price also!. it does look better the other cordless saws out there. ;D

Cut4fun

Quote from: KB0NES on September 30, 2011, 01:41:46 PM
I wish there was some idea given of the numbers of cuts per charge etc. The saw is none too speedy all in all, but for a homeowner that starts it twice a year maybe.

Phil

I thought I had posted a link  to that info from chainsawrepair. Anyhow here you go.

* Long-lasting standard lithium-ion battery pack provides no-fade power

* Powers through logs as large as 10 to 12 inches; instant trigger-pull start

* Trims up to 125 2- to 3-inch branches on single charge; built-in chain sharpening system

* 60-minute charging time; weighs 9.5 pounds (with guide bar, chain, and battery)

http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/chainsaws-not-listed/oregon-powernow-battery-powered-trim-chainsaw/

Thank You Sponsors!