iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calf Fries and Sweetbreads

Started by HOGFARMER, April 01, 2009, 09:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGFARMER

Have eaten both and they are excellent if properly prepared.  Does anyone have any favorite recipes for them they would care to share?
Manual LT-30

okie

Reckon I'd like to try the calf fries. They have several festivals here and I just never got around to goin. What are you calling sweet breads?
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

HOGFARMER

Sweetbreads are the thymus gland from a calf.  They are cooked with spices and have a texture similar to bread hence the name.
Manual LT-30

woodsteach

Okay the calf fries yes but for some reason the sweetbreads I just can't seam to put down the hatch. 

As far as cooking them roll in milk, cracker crumbs and fry in oil.

I kinda miss the fries as the last 2 years we have banded our weanlings instead of cutting them.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

HOGFARMER

The larger ones from bulls I remove the outher membrane, slice soak in salt water, rinse the flour and pan fry them.  If done right they remind you of pork tenderloin.  Had an uncle from New Mexico that did a mexican style breading that were good also.  The sweetbreads my mother did were cooked with ginger and actually were more like a bread in texture.
Manual LT-30

okie

Learned something new :), calf fries are quite popular round here but never heard of no one eating the thymus gland. I was thinkin about spice bread, punkin bread, and the such :D
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

WDH

I think that I will stick with the grits  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

okie

Quote from: WDH on April 03, 2009, 11:27:16 PM
I think that I will stick with the grits  :).
I dont know, gonads and grits got a ring to it :D

WDH

Yes, the proverbial hollow ring  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

okie

Thank You Sponsors!