iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln finally ready to go.

Started by Delawhere Jack, December 22, 2016, 08:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

This took a lot longer than I had anticipated, nearly three months. The kiln is finally ready to dry some wood. It is the Virginia Tech design with a few minor variations. The major difference is that is built on a trailer. I intend to offer it for rent to milling clients for drying their wood. I'm sure I can get a lot of use out of it as well when it is not out for rent.

After sealing the loading doors, the kiln reached 105 deg F today. It was sunny and about 45 deg outside. Humidity inside was 25%.

Now I need to develop some very simple (foolproof) guidelines for the clients to follow. To start with, I will not offer it to rent for drying anything but the most forgiving woods. Eventually I would like to add some automation to measure the RH inside and open / close the vents accordingly. I'm looking to see what is available commercially to this end, or I may put something together myself with an Ardiuno controller.

I've offered first use of the kiln to a client who generously gave me enough walnut to replace the deck boards on my truck.

scsmith42

Very nicely done!

If I can make a suggestion.... consider adding some load leveling jacks on the corners for increased stability when loaded.

Craftsmanship looks great!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Delawhere Jack

Thanks SC. Yes, I have stabilizing jacks to place near the corners when I set it up. They're rated at 6,000lbs each. Some of the load will remain on the axle/tires. I'll be adding a caster wheeled jack at the hitch end to help orient it to the south.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Looks awesome.

As you go down the road, the wind will try to remove the roof, so you might want to have a tarp to tightly cover the roof and the edges when moving.to prevent 60 mph wind damage.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Nomad

I like it!  Interesting concept.  I suspect it will be very sought after by your customers!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

dean herring

Looks good I like it . Can we get some inside pictures?
Can't tell how its loaded, does it have to be unloaded off the trailer?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Delawhere Jack

The three rear doors are removable for loading. It remains on the trailer. I could take some pics of the inside, but since it is painted black with foundation coating it wouldn't show much. I'll get some pics when the first load goes in.

DelawhereJoe

Any idea what the total cost, minus trailer, was ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

D6c

Nice looking kiln!   I've had ideas of doing a similar project for a while and like seeing what others have done.
What size did you make it?

I'm looking for a wagon undercarriage to use on mine (4 wheel hay rack or gravity wagon).....won't be high speed on the road but my intention is to just make it movable around my own place...or for short road moves.

Post as many pics as you can so I can steal your ideas, and let us know how it performs once you get some drying done.

Darrel

This kiln looks really good. I like the fact that it is mobile. I'm thinking of junking out an old travel trailer and using the frame for the base of a mobile solar kiln. The AC unit if still functional, can be converted and used as a dehumidifier if I choose to do so. Please keep us posted with progress and Pictures.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!