iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Next year's wood.

Started by Kwill, March 27, 2019, 08:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

Been working on next year's wood today. Bout got the shed full. 

Another tree and I think I will have it full
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

WDH

I have been working on next year's wood too, courtesy of Hurricane Michael :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

You read my mind Kwill, I just started bucking last night, not a lot. I am still working on setting up a new 'processing area' down in the woods where I have the logs stacked. Last year I cut the trees, then skidded them into the shop driveway,bucked a few logs, then split and either piled or stacked, Then I would load the splits in the mule and move them to the house pile and stack. I needed to cut down on handling, so this year I will cut and split right where the logs are stacked and throw the splits onto a forwarding trailer as I go. When the trailer is full, I pull it up to the house and stack. I hope it will save me some time, and leave the mess in the woods. Last year my goal was to get it all done by June 1st. Let's see if I can beat that goal this year. I need more time at the mill, and I have some nice saw logs to pick up that will take some time. I have the forwarding trailer down there, and need to move down the splitter. Before all that, I have to re-stack the leftover wood from this year so I have a place for the new wood. Still looking to do 5 or more cords. I think I will end the season, which was a month longer than normal with just under a cord left over. But it's not done yet, so.... ANd this year is different. It used to be everything was firewood, now that I have the mill, I have to make choices, so I may not have enough logs to split 5 cords if much of it becomes saw logs.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

AZ_builder

The highway dept. in AZ cuts and trims trees along the freeway and exits every year. They spread the small stuff but the bigger stuff gets cut to fireplace length. They stack it real nice and let it sit. I'm sure one of the workers is wanting to go back and pick it up but I usually grab it first. Public road way. I'll get 3-4 pickup loads a year of green mesquite. More than enough for our winters

thecfarm

Not fair!! I can only get to certain places on my land because of the snow. Where I made a trail before we got all the snow is easy. Now where I have not been takes a little time. Don't like to chatter. :o  Hard on equipment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kwill

This is all split red oak with a little post oak. No limbs or rounds. There is 4 rows. Not sure how much is in there but it will give me a good start next winter
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Kwill on March 27, 2019, 10:13:03 PM
This is all split red oak with a little post oak. No limbs or rounds. There is 4 rows. Not sure how much is in there but it will give me a good start next winter
Easy to figure LxWxD in feet = cubic feet. 1 cord = 128 cubic feet. That's how I figure my work anyway.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Taking a guess looking at the photo, if it is 5' wide, 6' high and 12' deep, that is 360' cubic feet, divide by 128 and you have 2.8 cords. Not a bad load.

uplander

I have been too. Well three years from now that is. I have a fair bit to go but the ground has just been so wet to work on.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

hedgerow

Its too muddy yet to get into were my logs are stacked to start processing wood. We had a fair amount of washing around here when we had rain and the the big snow melt. It washed the crossing out on the farm were my logs are stacked and the firewood equipment is store on that farm in a shed that I can't get to because of the crossing missing. It finally got dry enough yesterday to run the Cushman out in the CRP and pasture and start cutting small cedar trees by hand. Looks like we have more rain coming in tonight and then for a few days. We need some dry days so we can get the dozer, tractor and scraper out and get those wash outs fixed. We hope to be planting corn in two weeks. 

John Mc

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 28, 2019, 07:12:04 AM
Taking a guess looking at the photo, if it is 5' wide, 6' high and 12' deep, that is 360' cubic feet, divide by 128 and you have 2.8 cords. Not a bad load.
I was going to guess 4'w x 6'h x8'd = 1.5 cords. Hard to tell from those shots.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lxskllr

My next year's wood is the same as last year's wood for the most part. I started with 6+ cord of black oak, and still have 4+ cord left. In addition, I have a bit more than a cord of cherry I got from work this year. Been considering splitting more wood at work, and stacking it in the woods. Not sure I'm that motivated, and hot weather's just about here.

Babylon519

I go through about 7 bush cords a year keeping the house warm as well as the shop. Normally, I'm not too particular about the shop, but we inherited a 12-yr-old cat last fall, so I kept the shop a lot warmer than usual this winter. 
I was back to the woods last weekend, and in again tomorrow. The ash just keeps falling over. Last weekend, had to buck up a tree just to get in to the woods, and another huge one a hundred yards in. Because of the ash die-off, I can't remember the last time I had to fell a tree - the wind is doing the work for me. Anyway, 1 cord in the shed and 6 to go!
-  Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

GRANITEstateMP

I try to stay at least a year ahead on wood, but man I'd rather stack it in a shed vs my pallet system.  Well, add another item to the wish list, 3 sided wood shed. ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Old Greenhorn

Well I got my new 'system' set up Saturday, but didn't have the whole weekend to work. I did two loops of bucking splitting, moving and final stacking, which put up just a little over half a cord. Not a lot, but I clearly see that I have eliminated a LOT of wasted handling time and effort. Hoping I get it done earlier than last year, which was an early record for me anyway. Yes, I would like a shed too, but that won't happen for a few years, at least, too many other projects.

Randy88

Worked about three half days in late march and got about 30 cords or more done for next winter, another weekend with the processor and we'll have more than enough to last all next winter and then some.   

Old Greenhorn

Well, I am fully into it now. I have around a cord and a half up. More distractions this year and less chance to cut and split after work, but I was out there stacking until about 9:30 last night. The trailer is clear again and ready to fill. Rained all night and still dripping. But I am going to hit it hard today. I have a bunch of logs spread around the woods to gather and buck as I have now just about finished off the logs I had stacked since last March. I am sorting out the saw logs from firewood as I go. The goal was to clean up the woods and it is really starting to show. I expect it will take another year or two to really get all the dead fall out.
 3 or so cords to go, then back to milling.

Old Greenhorn

Well, I don't have a processor. I use 4-5 cords a years. I have a splitter and a saw. My operation is under way and its all hand hand work, so it takes time. Today was a long day and my back is a bit sore. The photo is 8am today, it's all cut split and stacked now. I have run another group of logs through today also, bucked a few after that to end my day. On the one hand I think I am ahead of last year, on the other I feel like I am very slow. It is what it is. It sucks to get old, but I have to give it to my chiropractor that I haven't had this little working pain since I was 40. I hurt and ache right now, but I expect I will be pain free in the morning. I sure wish I could find a 16 year old kid in the neighborhood that wanted to work for a day or 5.

John Mc

Quote from: Babylon519 on March 29, 2019, 04:33:08 PMI go through about 7 bush cords a year

What does a "bush cord" mean to you? I've heard several definitions from various people, but they don't agree or are not specific. One guys definition is a "face cord" (4'x8'), but that's meaningless unless they give you the length it is cut to as well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

LeeB

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 13, 2019, 08:16:48 PM
 It sucks to get old, but I have to give it to my chiropractor that I haven't had this little working pain since I was 40.

I'll take getting old over the alternative any day.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

lxskllr

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 13, 2019, 08:16:48 PM
Well, I don't have a processor. I use 4-5 cords a years. I have a splitter and a saw. My operation is under way and its all hand hand work, so it takes time. Today was a long day and my back is a bit sore. The photo is 8am today, it's all cut split and stacked now. I have run another group of logs through today also, bucked a few after that to end my day. On the one hand I think I am ahead of last year, on the other I feel like I am very slow. It is what it is. It sucks to get old, but I have to give it to my chiropractor that I haven't had this little working pain since I was 40. I hurt and ache right now, but I expect I will be pain free in the morning. I sure wish I could find a 16 year old kid in the neighborhood that wanted to work for a day or 5.

People pay good money for that kind of workout. You're getting it free(nominal cost of fuel, chains, wear/tear), with a bonus of free energy on top of it  ;^)  It also isn't pointless work. When you leave your gym, something got done. Beats moving weight around a room for no purpose.

I'm not a fan of "alternative" wood measurement systems. They lack specificity, and in a sales environment, lead to fraud, and hard feelings. Cords, fractions thereof, or cubic feet are the only acceptable measures imo.

scouter Joe

A face cord is 4' high X 8' long X the length of the blocks .( A single row of cut blocks ) A bush cord is 4'high X 8'long X4' wide .(3 rows of 16" cut blocks )

lxskllr

I wasn't familiar with the term bush cord aside from seeing it printed every so often. It's another name for a statute cord.

thecfarm

Never heard of bush,face cords until on here.
Still not wood cutting for me,in the woods. I have some wood that I brought up before the warm up. I still have snow in the woods. Don't want to rut the ground up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: scouter Joe on April 14, 2019, 07:57:19 AM
A face cord is 4' high X 8' long X the length of the blocks .( A single row of cut blocks ) A bush cord is 4'high X 8'long X4' wide .(3 rows of 16" cut blocks )
So by your definition, a bush cord is the same as a cord. If heard others define a bush cord as being the same as a face cord, with no defined number for the length, and still others define it as meaning a face cord with specifically 16" length

Thank You Sponsors!