iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita 4.5" Cordless Saw???

Started by lxskllr, September 19, 2018, 05:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

I was looking at cordless chainsaws at HomeDepot, and ran across this...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-4-1-2-in-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Top-Handle-Chainsaw-Tool-Only-XCU01Z/205561449

I can hardly imagine what that's good for, especially for that kind of money. /Maybe/ chainsaw carving, but I'd think the (relatively)huge powerhead would get in the way of seeing what you're doing. The few reviews it has are relatively good, but 4.5" is waaay below the point I start using handtools. I'd chew through a branch before I paid $180 for that  :^D  Any of you see any point in it?

edit:
and LoL at the middle picture on the side. I'd break that branch with my hands  :^D

Caloren

Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

teakwood

they're designed for felling big red wood in California! 

what a choke
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Dave Shepard

Reminds me of Dirty Harry.  "A man's got to know his limitations" :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dougand3

That saw is a special kind of stupid. It's be $285 with tax and cheapest battery. You could complete it's job with a $10 pair of loppers.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

barbender

4.5" and then you lose an inch to that tip guard!😂😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

It's a gardening tool, for pruning shrubs and fruit trees. Not a lot of use if you are lift pruning 500 pine trees, but for an arborist or gardener I can see how it might be useful.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

teakwood

Yes but then you can also use any other model with a 8 or 10" bar

I have a 120i stihl with a 12" (which is actually just 10" long mounted ) bar for stockpruning my teaktrees and sometimes reaching around a tree even that bar is to short.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

lxskllr

I could see a handful of people around the world that have very unique tasks, who would think "Where's this been my whole life?!", but not enough people for a company to release it as a product. For general pruning, I'd go up against someone using this, me with my Silky, and I bet I could out produce them in a day's work.

Bthomasb3

Air Lad

Crikey.. What a puny little pea shooter
It could no doubt chew through flesh and bone if used carelessly
The brand's claim of zero emissions would only be true if it's batterys were charged by solar and even then there was the emissions from the factory that built it
Seems to be the way it will go in the future tho

hatman-nz

ummm a tad small   even  for. use in the garden   
the cordless  thing is ment to be  taking off   dealer  I spoke to. has  heard  alot of outfits  finding it. too hard  to meet  specs  with smaller saw motors and also  such a small market  for fuel powered saws  better  improving cordless 
way he was talking  alot of  outfits will not  update  there range under 50 cc   
tradies  builders  etc. already  use alot of battury powered tools so just need to  the chainsaw skin 
tree  guys  ummmm guess  markets too small 

Thank You Sponsors!