iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickled Eggs

Started by Chuck White, January 17, 2018, 07:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Anyone have a good recipe?

No dill, and not so hot that the average guy/gal can't eat one!

Four dozen are going into a 1-gallon jar!

Thanks for any input!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Roxie

Drain the juice out of about six cans of beets.  Heat the juice up on the stove.  When warm, but not boiling, add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup cider vinegar.  When sugar is melted, take off the heat and taste.  If you want more sugar add a quarter cup at a time.  Pour juice over eggs while warm. 

My family prefers the 1 cup sugar and 1 cup vinegar flavor. 

Say when

sawguy21

??? He is wanting to pickle eggs, not beets. I love pickled beets, sorry Jeff  :D, but can't handle the eggs
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

Quote from: Roxie on January 17, 2018, 07:44:30 PM
Drain the juice out of about six cans of beets.  Heat the juice up on the stove.  When warm, but not boiling, add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup cider vinegar.  When sugar is melted, take off the heat and taste.  If you want more sugar add a quarter cup at a time.  Pour juice over eggs while warm. 

My family prefers the 1 cup sugar and 1 cup vinegar flavor.
I do almost the same but I add onions cut real thin after the eggs are gone I eat the onions  digin_2

Chop Shop

I usually just save the juice out of the Hot n Spicy pickle jars and the Bread n Butters and put it in a big jar and toss the eggs in.

Wait a few days and eat up!

starmac

In my opinion eggs is the most versatile foods there is, you can cook them any way you want and it is pert neer impossible to make them unedible, unless you pickle or poach them.
Shoot man I would even eat grits before I stuck another pickled egg in my mouth.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

coxy

Quote from: starmac on January 18, 2018, 09:29:11 PM

Shoot man I would even eat grits before I stuck another pickled egg in my mouth.
what are you thinking  dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! boxingsmiley boxingsmiley :D :D

Roxie

Coxy, the addition of onions sounds good.   :)
Say when

Weekend_Sawyer

I agree with Coxy and Roxy by proxy. (I enjoyed typing that)

I like the onions and add garlic cloves and pepper corns.

I'd like to have some right now!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

catalina

I do exactly what Weekend sawyer did by proxie via Roxie and Coxy! Just had the last egg out of a dozen I did at Christmas. Very Tasty!

Al_Smith

Try several with a can or two of beer if you like .The reaction should happen in about a half hour  :D

Dave Shepard

My father and I went to a pig roast many years ago and my grandfather sent a huge jar of pickled eggs. They were a big hit, especially so with Bubba. Not long after, Bubba was asked to maintain a significant distance from the festivities.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pineywoods

My sil without thinking, fed several eggs to their St Bernard dog. Works same as on bubba.. smiley_airfreshener smiley_airfreshener
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

That St would have to spend the day outside!   ;)

Stuff like that affects people differently though, sometimes you don't know and other times you know immediately!    smiley_smelly_skunk
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Al_Smith

If everybody eats them just put the blame on somebody else  .If not blame the dog .

tree-farmer

Bars around here always had a lage jar of pickeled egg behind the bar. In the years spent in such establishments, I was never wasted enough, or hungry enough to try one. Always wondered if they ever sold any.
Might be good with grits.... digin1
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

hopm

One of our coaches in HS kept a couple of gallon in the gym and sold them at the end of class every day. It was a year round fundraiser. No telling how many eggs he sold through the years.

Texas Ranger

In my school days at Mizzou there was a bar called The Stein Club, $0.15 drafts, and a cheese plate for $0.50.  One pickled egg, crackers, and rat trap cheese.  Fairly regular lunch when funds were down.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dave Shepard

Rat trap cheese? You didn't have to take it out of the trap, did you? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Growing up seem like most small stores had pickled eggs. I never tried one. I really don't know why,I do like eggs,but not hard boil. Maybe that is why I never tried one. I can remember the clerk would give it to them in a small waxed bag.
If someone wanted one now,I would have no idea where to go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Memories .The little podunk town I grew up in had an American Legion Post that was opened to the public .About every Saturday afternoon a bunch of old coots ( my age now ) would gather ,eat pickled eggs,Penrose hot sausage and drink beer out of quart bottles for 40 cents a pop and argue .As the afternoon went on they got louder and more aromatic in a sense . Olfactory sense as a matter of fact .

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 21, 2018, 09:46:45 AM
Rat trap cheese? You didn't have to take it out of the trap, did you? :D

Yankee's   ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

Al, I remember the jar of pickled eggs on the bar  ;D After a few beers I got the nerve to try one, only did that once.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

Pickled eggs, kielbasa and cheap draft beer breakfast of champions.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

coxy

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 22, 2018, 08:41:45 AM
Pickled eggs, kielbasa and cheap draft beer breakfast of champions.
no no  venison and beer breakfast of champs  :D

Thank You Sponsors!