iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clean Up

Started by Jeff, September 20, 2018, 08:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Last week I returned home from a week up at the cabin. I had tried to find someone to go, but no one was available so went by myself. My Sister did come up the last couple days I was there to visit and see the work accomplished.

Last year we had two episodes of flat line winds. They either tipped over or broke off most all of the larger trees on the place leaving it a very dangerous woods to simply walk around in. It also closed most of our trails by uprooting trees into them or snapping them off and the tops falling into the trails or hanging overhead. Most of the trees are very large aspens. up to 30" in diameter.  I spent 8 days clearing trees from fields and trails where I could, and built one new trail almost a half mile in length because the old trail was pretty much obliterated. Much of the mess back there God will have to take care of because it is just to dangerous for a guy and a chainsaw.  I thought I's share a short video that shows some of the mess and some of the before photos of the front field.  I have some after pictures on my phone yet along with some U.P. photos I took in the evenings. I'd work all day, then go to what seemed like my own giant bath tub to clean up.  Northern Lake Huron.  It was after labor day and there was absolutely no one around.  The weather was glorious. Low 70's during the day and low 40's at night. I never saw a cloud in 8 days and best yet, never saw a bug!  The east end of the U.P. is in a state of drought and really needs some rain which I think they will get this week.

Storm damage - YouTube

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

A mess and I agree, it is sometimes much easier to detour around than to recover old trails/roads.  Safer too!  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

Here are some after photos of the front field clean up.  What a mess it was. Glad to have my 8n up there!

Place of Rest. Very comfy!:)

Next two photos are where I would go to clean up in the evening. Northern Lake Huron, about 5 minutes from the cabin. Each night I was there by myself. It was awesome. Because of the very stable sunny weather the water was quite warm, although it dropped twenty degrees over night the last day because of storms way to the south that turned the lake over.

Southside

Looks beautiful there Jeff.  Only question I have is did you remember to put the antifreeze in the TV?   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Here are a few photos I took while I was gone. All are taken at the cabin, or within just minutes of the  on short little drives to look for deer and such after working during the day. I just love it up there. Last year I did not go up after the pigroast, and through the year, I didn't hardly go up at all and I could feel it. Its a place to get my soul right.

Field off the gogamain swamp road, on my way to Thompsons general store to get an icecream cone.

End of pier at the Raber Bay boat launch

There are deer in the photo somewhere.

Along M134 minutes from the cabin

Stump from a broken aspen from years ago along a cabin trail
<br

pileated woodpeckers have been busy here.
>

Back field at the cabin trail cam photo

There is an eastern Bluebird on top of the pole I was trying to get a photo of. Turns out the Stars and Stripes was the real star.

Shot of the back of the cabin from the corner of the yard.

Near the Cranberry floodings, south east of the cabin

Somewhere along Zeigler lake road, which is the same road as the cabin, except renamed west of M48. probably 3 miles away.

More invisible deer. they were out there.

A big lighting struck whitepine on the shore of Zeigler lake. Quite remote with like one or two cabins on it.

Oh YEA! Whitefish dinner at the Yooperman bar in Goetzville 10 minutes from the cabin. Pronounced "Gatesville". You take your life in your own hands if you go in and pronounce it goatsville in front of the yooper loggers.  Me, I just call it "GO EATS VILLE!

Pic I texted home to say hi to Tammy

My 8N parked behind the cabin

Freighter out from the DNR Marina in Detour Village

I guess its a weed

Picture can't do it justice that afternoon. Multiple shades of aqua as a freighter passes out from raber bay coming from limeisland.

Witches broom in a spruce in the cabin woods

liv

Peter Drouin

With the 8N it should have made the job easy.
Good luck with the rest of the mess. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bwstout

Wow would love to be there it is beautiful nothing quite like that here in East Tx.
home built mill

rjwoelk

Jeff there is truly something about the woods that is comforting and relaxing. Spent 4 summers in the mountains on horseback. Sure do miss it. 
When the kids were 11 or so we would go for a week of riding in the mountains. The memories are strong.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

barbender

Beautiful area, Jeff! Those windstorms seem to be getting more frequent, and you have wisdom to stay away from that windthrown timber.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Nice pictures.
I clean up those blow downs and use them for fire wood. BUT most of mine are small fir.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

curved-wood

That grey Ford reminds me bad experience while skiding. I flip over , had a skull fracture. The slope was long enough that the tractor continue his run so I was not stuck underneath. The accident happened 3/4 mile of my home. Very lucky , I walk the first 100 feet and went in a black-out, my angel took care of me and brought me home. I woke up at the corner of the house. Spend 1 month in the hospital. No after-effect. Life is good! Still enjoy skidding but not with a grey Ford

Jeff

I won't pull with an 8n.  to dangerous. I was using the back blade to push brush and chunks of wood up to the edge of the field.  I did have an incident. I had a block of wood that I was pushing catch on the blade, pick the blade up, then pick up the entire tractor rear end off the ground. That was the last couple days I was there when my Sister came up. She was out in the field watching. I'll give her a call, she might even have a picture

Jeff

She had some video, but after I was hung up.

Clearing with the 8n - YouTube

Jeff

One evening before I returned home I went into Detour to check the forum and send some messages as most days there is very little service at the cabin. I sit at the marina and watch the boats. As I sat there I saw the Drummond Island Ferry coming in with a log truck on board.  I tried to make it to the Ferry dock before it got there, but arrived only as it began to unload.

A maple float. Load coming from Drummond Island - YouTube

Ljohnsaw

Wow, quite a load of wood there.  Couldn't quite see it but I think that trailer had 6 axles on the ground and two raised?  Half expected to see the ferry jump up when he came off!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

8 axles are typical here.

olcowhand

Jeff,
Some great pics of the Eastern UP. I love it up there, and spend any vacation time I have in that area.
I have a buddy that owns some land outside of Rudyard, and I've spent many days hunting the area and fishing the St. Marys River. My fishing grounds are a little north of Raber Bay; I prefer Munuscong bay, because of the Muskys. I also fish the upper river for Salmon and Steelhead, and enjoy the same in the Carp river in the vicinity of where it crosses I 75.
I took my daughter up there for the fourth of July this year, and reserved a cabin for Labor Day, but the high winds we had here just before that weekend re-arranged my priorities.
I can relate to the "Soul Right" comment. It's been a while, but I've always enjoyed the All you can eat combos (Perch, Walleye, Ribs, etc.) at Raber Bay Bar.
I'll sign off with a quote from Henry David Thoreau (I think): "A weed is but a flower whose virtue has not yet been found."
At least your blind is still standing, my best ladder stand is laying with it's blown down tree.
Corrections welcome.....
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

olcowhand

Sorry, it was Ralph Waldo Emerson.....
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Jeff

Speaking of blinds, I really stayed busy while up there and that was another project.  I cleared a new trail back about a quarter mile to a place I saw buck activity last year, from there I cleared more new trail to get to my brother in laws blind that was totally cut off. Its a real mess back there, but his blind survived, but that is another story and another job.

I was going to put a new blind back in this new spot but got to thinking, I don't want to waste my time in an area until I prove it to be productive, so I'll put a pop up blind back there this year to start.

I took another blind kit up with me that I had made a webwork swap for. I decided to put that up in the back feild and hunt there this year, instead of the elevated blind. I've had some close calls up there from icey steps.  The new blind sits below it and I cleared a sneak path so I can get in and out of it without spooking deer out of the field. At night with the other blind, you have to spook the deer to get out. In the pictures below the elevated stand looks huge, but it is actually the same size as the new ground blind.

DPatton

Great pictures Jeff. You have a very special place there in the U.P.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Jeff

Here is a photo from my trail cam from when I was up there. I had to look at it for a little bit before I knew what it was.

samandothers

Thanks for the trip!  Beautiful area up there.  Those blow downs do look bad and something Mother Nature will need to deal with.  Hate to see the damage.  That plate of food looked very tasty and a good reward for some hard work.

I liked your bathing accommodations, a whole lake! I was expecting you to indicate it was cold, glad to hear it was warm enough.

I understand the need to go to a place like that to get your soul right.  That is the way I feel about our place in Va.

I appreciate the sister's video.  I love to hear the governors on those old Fords work.  Those a great old units and yours seems to be running great.

Ed_K

Nice pictures 8). It's great to get away for a while, to bad there was work involved.
Ed K

DelawhereJoe

Looks like you could use one of them 2hp stump pullers yourself.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!