iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log stress and sawing techniques

Started by dgdrls, March 12, 2014, 07:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

http://www.nzffa.org.nz/specialty-timber-market/information-resources/sawmilling/hardwoods/sawing-eucalypt/

Found this article and thought it would be a good one to share.

It helped me better understand tension/movement and sawing techniques.

Best
DGDrls

Magicman

I had a customer that wanted me to make a 12X12 Poplar cant and then split it 4 ways.  I told him that it would not work.  He insisted, and sure enough, it did not work.  I made a banana similar to that picture.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JustinW_NZ

yeah, small eucalyptus is such a pain for that :(

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

thecfarm

OMG,if I did not know better,photoshop
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

ain't not photo chopping going on there,  it can get real ugly, real quick , I've had first cut heavy slabs jump off the log and off the mill,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jamesamd

Still a lot of good wood in that log......

Fire wood ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

mesquite buckeye

That looks like pretzel board championship material ;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

JustinW_NZ

Im sure others might have had this, but when there a bit bigger and really bad they can jam up on the head frame if your not careful..
now that makes you reach for the saw and go for 'firewooding'  :D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Left Coast Chris

Looks like repeated 16" cuts perpendicular to the trunk would be the way to go.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WDH

If you sharpened the ends, you could make a gig for some really big frogs  :),
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wellmud

Woodmizer building firewood processors now? ;D
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

5quarter

You mean it's not supposed to do that?

;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Chuck White

If that was on my mill, it would end up being firewood!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

I've had some bad logs, but nothing that bad...Every new sawyer should keep a copy of that pic taped to the mill  ;D Might help educate some customers too ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

MattJ

So I have a question for you guys from this picture.  I want to play around with timber framing and up to this point I have sawed 3/4-8/4 material without problem but have never messed with anything thicker.  If I want to saw 6x6 posts is my only option to box the heart?  I was wondering if I can saw multiple 6x6's from the same larger log, i.e. from the quarters.  Per the picture it doesn't look like it.  I also have flexibility in species available.  Could use SYP, red oak, tulip poplar, maple...all easily available.

Thanks

Matt

dboyt

That kind of splitting occurs because the juvenile wood (within the first 6 growth rings) is under compression as the tree grows.  when you split the wood as the original poster did, the compression is released, like a spring, which bends the wood.  Boxing the heart keeps that compression balanced inside the beam.  You can get more beams out of a log if you keep the edges and corners at least 6 growth rings (12 is better) from the center of the rings, and might get a beam from the center, as well.  The absolute LAST thing you want to do is to get four beams, each with a corner on the pith-- unless you are building a Hobbit house.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ianab

If the log is big enough you can probably recover 5 beams, in a star shape. One will be heart centered, and the other 4 will be ~3" away from the pith (Free Of Heart).

Most logs won't misbehave as badly as the eucalyptus in the picture, but they generally will move to some degree if you saw them like that.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

MattJ

Thank you guys for the advice. That helps.

Matt

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is common to use a two saw headrig (both saws cut at the same time so stresses in the can't stay balanced...such as a Skragg saw or double band) to saw logs with stress...growth stresses.  Growth stresses exist throughout the stem, not just in the core.  We do see some stress is yellow poplar and in some pines with compression wood grown in plantations.  Fortunately, we do not have high stress in most of the trees growing in North America.

Note the sawing with two saws, or any other sawing technique, does not remove the stress, but rather keeps the stress balanced.  Subsequent processing including drying will have warp that makes the lumber or cant unusable.  The literature is full of attempts to make high growth stress timber like eucalyptus perform well, including steaming prior to sawing.  There is no magic bullet.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!