iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learning to use my combination plane

Started by coalsmok, February 10, 2018, 11:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coalsmok

Ok so after asking around I bid and won a craftsman combination plane with most or all the cutters that came standard with it.  8)Now to teach myself how to do the stuff I have been doing with power tools by hand. At his point the goal is to just be able to do the rabbets, dados and some beading after cutting the parts to size while the kids are asleep.

So as my first project I took a some scrap and have started on a small box with sliding lid.
First a pile of cut to size scrap. This is 3/8 thick pine and 1/4 cherry.

Got excited and cut the dados with the grain first then realized the cross grain rabbets were going to be a issue at the intersections.  :-\

coalsmok

Tried running the cross grain cuts with the built in nickers down and decided that they were causing the plane to rise up over the growth rings in the pine. So I rotated them up out of the way and just used a knife to make a initial score and took light cuts to get to depth. All cuts made for the box I done a trial assembly.

I now have the box assembled but still have to cut the rabbets down into the lid to fit it and sand the box. Pics of this won't load at the moment I may have to reduce them to get them to load up.

JV

Keep at it.  The mistakes are part of the learning process.  I am a firm believer that using hand tools will make you more proficient with power tools.  There is something soothing about the sound and feel of a hand plane.  I also enjoy using my treadle lathe.  I need to get busy with my grandsons and get them involved.  I'm by no means a master woodworker but I enjoy it.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

JV

One thing on the nickers doing dados, draw the plane toward you with them down first.  This should score first without the cutter engaging and hopefully lessen chatter.  Just a suggestion.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

coalsmok

JV I'm pretty sure that the knickers in this plane need sharpened to work properly.  Also the material was pretty crappy quality as it was the remains of a pine project panel from Lowe's I had planed down to 3/8".

Not the best looking work at the joints but not bad for learning a new technique for cutting them.

Cut a small bead in the lid along the edges of the slides just for added visual effect

Then put a light coat of danish oil on everything so that the difference between the box and the lid is not as obvious and called it done.

Thank You Sponsors!