iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw recomendations in a confusing time???

Started by 747mopar, February 12, 2018, 07:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

747mopar

Just joined up and am looking forward to digging threw many topics seeing how I work in the sawmill industry, love woodworking and heat with wood. What brought me to this site was my searching for info on chainsaws in a time that proves to be very confusing?? I currently own a Husqvarna 550 but after purchasing a boiler I'm looking for something a bit bigger as I generally cut all of my wood in a few days and it really taxes the little Husky.

Onto the confusing part.. I love my neighbors Jonsered so I found a local dealer but nothing much in stock do to a relabeling of the brand, turns out they're going to now be marketed as RedMax??? Heard great things about Dolmar so I look at those as well but they're now Makitas and sport the dreaded "made in China sticker"? As of right now I'm leaning towards a 372 XP Husqvarna but see Chinese carbs on a lot of models which concerns me. With the wealth of knowledge on here I'm sure you guys have ran them all so I'm curious to hear your input. 

Thanks

hopm

alot of folks will have alot of recommendations for some really good saws......but for the most bang for the buck.....at 350 or so the echo 590 is hard to beat for the investment

DelawhereJoe

It will really depend on what your budget is or how much you can justify spending on a saw. With that being said, buy the largest saw you want to carry around the woods that gives you or does for you every thing you need. For me it was a Stihl ms 362 c-m at 60cc, 4.7hp and will run a 25" bar. Where I live there aren't alot of trees over 30" most being 16 - 24", so I didn't really need a +70cc saw and I only cut 3-5 not really more then 7 cords a year. When/if I do purchase a larger saw I'm going to hold out for a ms 462 unless its completely out of my price range then it will be an Echo cs 800p.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

747mopar

The extra weight or size isn't really a concern, I have the 450 for carrying around the woods but all of my firewood cutting is done in one spot so no need to lug it around. One of the perks from working at a sawmill is the firewood, I pay a logger and he stacks it all in a pile in my field. The logs typically range from 12"-30" in diameter and very from Maple, Ash, Oak, Popular, Cherry, Walnut, Hickory and Elm so I do cut some big ones. My biggest reason for wanting to upgrade is to buy something that has the power and bar length to get the job done in a timely manner.

I honestly haven't heard much good about the Echo's but my experience has always been great with Japanese 2 strokes? I did look at some today, the dealer basically said you could bet on them being roughly 10% less power in comparison to the top brands but said they were great saws.

As far as budget goes I'm just wanting to spend wisely once and get a great saw, $800 or less.

starmac

If you want a jonsered and have a decent dealer, the 2171 is the same exact saw as the 372, just a different color, air cleaner and top cover. Iirc the angle on the handle is different too,

If I am not mistaken red max was already building the some of the smaller huskies and jonsereds, it is all the same company.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  I have not heard of chinese  carbs on the pro line of Husky saws, but I can tell you from personal experience that the 372 is the king of the hill.  Not putting down any other saws here and I have read the same thing that Starmac says, I just have not run a 2171 to personally compare the two.  I have had Stihl and a couple smaller Huskys in the past along with yellow saws over the years, but these days I only run 372's.  With a 24" bar and a full chisel skip chain they will pile up the wood, good on fuel and they are tough. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

747mopar

Quote from: starmac on February 12, 2018, 11:50:49 PM
If you want a jonsered and have a decent dealer, the 2171 is the same exact saw as the 372, just a different color, air cleaner and top cover. Iirc the angle on the handle is different too,

If I am not mistaken red max was already building the some of the smaller huskies and jonsereds, it is all the same company.

I just really liked the one I ran but have been told many times that they're the same saw as a Husky,  if that's the case I'll just buy a Husky.

747mopar

Quote from: Southside logger on February 13, 2018, 12:19:18 AM
Welcome to the Forum.  I have not heard of chinese  carbs on the pro line of Husky saws, but I can tell you from personal experience that the 372 is the king of the hill.  Not putting down any other saws here and I have read the same thing that Starmac says, I just have not run a 2171 to personally compare the two.  I have had Stihl and a couple smaller Huskys in the past along with yellow saws over the years, but these days I only run 372's.  With a 24" bar and a full chisel skip chain they will pile up the wood, good on fuel and they are tough.

Good to hear, I'll most likely go with the 372 since everybody basically says the same thing abour them.

Thanks

celliott

You really won't go wrong with a 372 it's a great saw and sounds about perfect for what you want to do.
Just to throw another wrench in the mix, the 372 is due for replacement and it's replacement is the 572xp, already released in the euro market, supposed to be here the end of 2018 I believe. Not tried and true but supposedly they really did their homework and it's gonna be a great saw.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

747mopar

Quote from: celliott on February 13, 2018, 06:17:46 AM
You really won't go wrong with a 372 it's a great saw and sounds about perfect for what you want to do.
Just to throw another wrench in the mix, the 372 is due for replacement and it's replacement is the 572xp, already released in the euro market, supposed to be here the end of 2018 I believe. Not tried and true but supposedly they really did their homework and it's gonna be a great saw.

Funny that you brang that up, the dealer I was talking to yesterday (not a Husky dealer) was telling me that it's supposedly a better saw. Don't know how true it is but according to him they put a better crankshaft setup in it with bigger bearings. I'll definitely look into it but don't want to wait that long.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Southside logger on February 13, 2018, 12:19:18 AM
Welcome to the Forum.  I have not heard of chinese  carbs on the pro line of Husky saws,
Southside, actually the Husqvarna XP carbs are China made. I ordered this carb for my 346XP from my Husqvarna dealer a few years ago.
This is what I got. "Parts made in China".
Welcome to the forum 747Mopar.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

weimedog

It would be disingenuous to not mention Pro saws currently in production from both major brands have ignition/carbs from the major carburetor & controls companies who manufacture in a variety of places, China being one. Zama does. So you have to look from model to model to find where each of the components are manufactured if that is important to you.  AND the c3-el32 comes from a line of saw the range from  350 to 346's. NONE of which you can buy new off the shelf. Therefore a net zero when considering a new saw.:)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on February 13, 2018, 10:38:22 AM
AND the c3-el32 comes from a line of saw the range from  350 to 346's. NONE of which you can buy new off the shelf. Therefore a net zero when considering a new saw.:)
This c3 carb I bought came off the shelf from Husqvarna and that doesn't mean that this carb is the only carb with Chinese parts on Husqvarna saws.

340  353 435 440 445 450 365 555 562 570 576 all have Zama carbs.
Zama  has factories in Japan USA Philippines and China.

Stihl owns Zama 100%.........

So who wants to keep shopping for a new Saw? :)

747mopar

Talk about service!! Stopped in at my local Husky dealer to drop off my leaf blower and was chatting about the different saws,  he tells me I'd probably love the 562XP and offers his for me to try!! That's going the extra mile, once my blower is repaired I'll bring it home and make a few cuts and see what I think. I guess if I really liked the 2260 Jonsered then this should be a step up at least in performance. Hope I really like it because it a nice size without being to big and is already readily available.  We'll see

747mopar

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 13, 2018, 02:31:54 PM
AND the c3-el32 comes from a line of saw the range from  350 to 346's. NONE of which you can buy new off the shelf. Therefore a net zero when considering a new saw.:)
This c3 carb came off the shelf from Husqvarna and that doesn't mean that only this carb series # has Chinese parts on Husqvarna saws.
Stihl owns Zama 100%.

This is what I was referring to when I said confusing, all these companies outsourcing, made here and there.... hard to ever know what your buying?

DelawhereJoe

The Jonsered 2260 is the cousin on the 562xp, some of the same parts are used in both saws. I was going to get the 2260 but dealer around here are well there aren't any, theres 1 Husqvarna dealer and its on the next county. So Stihl was a better option for me, I haven't had any complaints about the ms 362 c-m no hot starting issues or any other issues for that matter. It cuts like a champ even with a 25" bar  doing a full cut in oak. The 562 xp, 2260 or ms 362 would be a great option over your 550.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

pinefeller

i use my 562xpg everyday at work. perfect all-around saw felling limbing bucking. 372xp is the back up, and the 385xp is the back up back up  ;D (notice the trend) i use a 1-1.5 gal of gas a day if you want to know how much i actually ''use'' them i have had 0 problems so far (2 years, probably at least 3 days a week) i havent even changed a plug or filter yet. before that i completely wore out 3 359 huskys (all threw c clips and destroyed the jugs.) my next saw will be another 562. anyone interested in a 372? ;D
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

HolmenTree

I may have My 562XP sold tomorrow. I had a long  5 years with it.
But I sure don't miss the hot start flooding issues, screws falling out, broken mounts and the extra step to set the fast idle after choking from cold during starting.....and after the saw is already warmed up . ::)

Southside

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 13, 2018, 02:31:54 PM
This c3 carb I bought came off the shelf from Husqvarna and that doesn't mean that this carb is the only carb with Chinese parts on Husqvarna saws.

Stihl owns Zama 100%.........

Why shop? The 372 is not on this list, and does not have the hot starting issues. Sometimes you just can't build a better mouse trap.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

pinefeller

i forgot, i did have an exhaust bolt go UA once. i blame myself for that one though, pushing really hard on it cutting off a dirty stump in the landing she got pretty hot. pretty sure thats when she left me. and yes if you repeatedly start and stop (like in tree work) the starting can be finicky. the way i work in the woods i keep my saw starts to minimal so its tolerable. power to weight cant be beat and handles like a porche.

you know, i would be open to tryin the sthil equivalent. its the 60cc,s and weight that are the most important factors for me easier starting would be a huge bonus though.

i got a 372 for you ss  ;D
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Southside

If your 372 has issues send her to Wicked Work in TN, just be ready to hang on to her when she comes home...
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

pinefeller

Southside

Of course the exhaust will have a southern accent to it when you get it back...
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

HolmenTree

Quote from: Southside logger on February 13, 2018, 09:33:20 PM
If your 372 has issues send her to Wicked Work in TN, just be ready to hang on to her when she comes home...
Here's my 2006 OE 372XP (non X-Torq) I have for sale right now. You won't need to send this one away for mods.
Lot's of power with excellent compression and tight main bearings. Never had the cylinder off.

HolmenTree

I also sold my 2008 395XP and mint 1993 272XP last weekend to one happy customer. Also sold my 550XP the week before.

Thank You Sponsors!