iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB gaining water

Started by ButchC, March 19, 2018, 09:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ButchC

Last week I noticed the slab was damp under the OWB so I kinda kept a closer watch on it and it was gaining water and overflowing.  I by passed the domestic water heaters hoping it would continue because a leaking fill valve would be an easy fix but no luck it quit overflowing

So,, Water is going from the domestic side to the boiler loop at the heat exchangers.  I have both a side arm and plate type. Side arm was a year ago with this installation, the plate is 10 years old from the original installation of the OWB.

Question is one or the other more likely to be the issue? The tube seems pretty simple?? Dont know a thing about what the plate looks like inside. I think I have figured out a way to pressurize them after removal. Just looking for ideas, Thanks!!
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

DDW_OR

here is my central boiled 750 install
NEW Central Boiler Install in Firewood and Wood Heating

sounds like your plumbing got crossed, or there is something wrong with your heat exchanger.
"let the machines do the work"

hedgerow

Those plate heat exchangers are pretty tough. If you don't freeze them or over pressure them they usually only plug up. Where I worked before I retired we took tube and shell out and put plate in because they lasted better. Why do you have both? I just run a plate with a pump on my domestic never run out of hot water.I run a softer so in 10 years I have never had to clean the plate yet. 

E Yoder

I have seen acid water eat out the copper brazing in a plate exchanger and overflow the stove. Or a sidearm could pinhole too.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

ButchC

Thanks all,
There isnt a crossed plumbing issue, it worked fine for 5 months before it started.

Why both? Long story.
We had a plate type for many years. Only (slight) issue was when there was no hot water use for long periods the tank would cool down. Then we moved and took the OWB with us.  The dealer said a side arm would be the cure all for the tank cooling down so I bought one and installed it. Then we had a new issue the side arm couldn't keep up with my clean freak Wife's hot water demands. At that point I couldn't take it back so I put the plate exchanger back in line. They actually work great in tandem. The plate heats the water as you use it and the side arm keeps the tank hot overnight. Yes it's over kill.

Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

DDW_OR

so, the side arm is new and the plate is old.

when the weather permits, you should take each one off and do a pressure test to see if either one leaks.
"let the machines do the work"

Southside

Quote from: ButchC on March 21, 2018, 07:49:40 AMcouldn't keep up with my clean freak Wife's hot water demands

Milk just came out of my nose... Thanks!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

r.man

If you have the units bypassed they are set up to pressure test where they are. Disconnect the furnace pipes on one and see if house water comes out.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!