iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Addition to the Equipment Family

Started by Jason_AliceMae Farms, April 14, 2018, 10:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_AliceMae Farms

It has been WAAYY too long since I have posted anything or even spent some time on the forum even lurking and reading.  The day job has been keeping be busy but I did find a little time to pick up this old gal for a steal.  Started right up without issue once I put in a new battery.  All the hydraulic lines need to be replaced as you can see and I need to replace the fuel boots from the return off the injectors as the rubber boots are cracked and dry rotted so she leaks diesel.  This is my first crawler and I am already looking for another 350, this one is a 1970 from what I have found so far. 

Any good sources for parts that you guys have used?  I have found a couple sites but always looking for more sources for parts for this old gal.  Also, any thing jumping out to you experienced crawler folks?  She needs to be greased thoroughly and I think the tracks are a little loose. 

Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

starmac

The forest service hauled a case about the same area out for dome work on the log road last summer and it quit on them. They just left it in the woods 20 something miles in. They ask if we could haul it in for them, my understanding is they want to haul it to town and sell it off, I am tempted to see what they will do where it sits. It is a dozer with the hoe attachment though, not a loader.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

mike_belben

Case dozers use a left and right transmission with high low for their drive.  Theyre a little quirky to operate at first but are the only old machine to have both tracks powered in a turn.  One in high and other in low.  They also dont have nearly as much issues with stuck clutches and brakes as similar vintage machines. You just have to be sure some noob didnt drive it "through the brakes" without shifting the track to neutral before mashing the pedal...  as theyll strip out the splines on the brake hub.

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Jason, start brush painting motor oil onto every fastener and plug now.  Make sure the rolls, idlers and finals all have oil and not water in them.  May have to pull rock guards.  Also if the belly pans are full of oil mulch try to get them cleaned out.  Keep a fire extinguisher and mini shovel on board, they burn down fast when the belly pan lights.

Hows the sprockets and bushings?  Do the tensioners take grease?  Id soak all that in oil too.  Buff up the tensioner cylinders as best you can too.  The rust will wreck the wiper seals. 
Praise The Lord

Iwawoodwork

If you have not moved it yet I would use a diesel/old motor oil mix to spray on the rails/pins, bushings then let sit for a day then move it back and forth then after moving it around look at the tracks for adjustment.  the track (left) in the photo does not look that far out of adjustment, you want a little sag. If too tight you will eat up idlers, and rails. 

PA_Walnut

Looks like ROPS wasn't in fashion back then!  :D
Keep'er with the yellow side up!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Ford_man

gspren

Before the motor oil treatment I'd get a 16 oz bottle of Blue Creeper and squirt anything that looks like you might one day want to loosen, I've found it to work better and it's not that expensive per application.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Jason_AliceMae Farms

It has moved, it was loaded up and took a few hundred mile trip north to my place.  The tensioners do take grease as do most of the other fittings I have checked.  I am planning a week off from work around Memorial Day and I plan on spending some time getting all the mud and debris cleaned off and then a good pressure washing.  I don't have a hot water pressure washer but I may look around to see what it would cost to have someone come in and do it.  I am thinking that may do a better job than me spraying down with a degreaser and pressure washer, thoughts?

Once cleaned up I am going to do some spot paining initially to get something on the bare metal and also a good grease bath all the way around.  I will definitely lube up the rails, pins, bushings, etc.

It did have a ROPS on it at some point, I am hunting for one now.  I do plan on taking it into the woods to do some trail work so I am considering a little cage with the ROPS and some branch sliders (not sure the real name) from the hood to the ROPS.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Jason_AliceMae Farms

A Bluecreeper order is definitely on the list along with the injector boots, manuals, more tubes of grease, hydraulic lines, seats, ha-ha......I knew as soon as I decided to get it the to-do list and list of things to order were going to grow by a few pages

thecfarm

It's home,that is good. I could do some damage with that. ;D
limb risers,I think.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Any forum members from Vermont ever worked with Pete's Repair Sales & Rentals in Morrisville, VT?  This machine was in their hands at some point as it has their contact info sticker on it.

Searched for them and they are still in business, started in the early 1970's so they may have been the dealer that originally sold the machine.  I am going to give them a call this week and see what I am able to find out about it.  Maybe even get lucky if they have some parts still on the shelves.

jason.weir

ROPS for a JD 350 should be easy to find.

If you can't find one closer, try these guys http://pbhequipment.com/.

Last time I drive by, they had a few ROPS sitting in the yard..

mike_belben

Yeah theyre called limb risers.

Btw if you arent using the hoe, take it off.  Way more nimble.
Praise The Lord

woodmaker

I have the same machine,but no hoe. Mine has a 4-in-1 bucket. My dad and uncle actually built it out of two machines,using the best parts of each.We sat the two machines side by side in the shop.
 The bottom of the track chains looks a little thin,so check for wear on the bushings.If the bushings are worn,then the pins are too,and you will have to be very careful operating on side slopes.
 As mike said,take the hoe off if you aren't using it,Its a lot easier on the undercarrage.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

scsmith42

Your photo's bring back memories!  Back in the early 80's I worked on a ranch in west Texas operating a 450B with a backhoe and a D7 17A cable dozer with a LeTourneu cable scraper.

Good memories!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Resonator

Nice old iron! The backhoe attachment looks similar to my 310A TLB I sold last fall. When you do those short hydraulic lines, draw a diagram so you know which hose goes where. When I did mine I replaced some O rings in the wobble stick valves too. Check all your cylinder rams are dry, and if there are nicks or gouges in the chrome, (they will cut gland seals). Check online for aftermarket parts, (in my experience the dealer parts were priced WAY high), and start looking for salvage yard machines to scavenge off of. I used the JD dealer "Old Construction Yellow" when I repainted my 310A. $75 a gallon, but well worth it, with very good results.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I won't get a chance to do anything on the crawler until closer to Memorial Day but I am starting to get a few things on order to include the service/maintenance manuals. 

Thank you for all the input so far and things to look for.  It is definitely going to be fun learning.  I am already looking for sister machines, maybe a 350 dozer with a winch or one with the 4-in-1 bucket like woodmaker (who knows maybe all 3 at some point, ha-ha).

I will definitely be taking a lot of pictures and drawing diagrams once I start digging into the work.  For those of you that have added hydraulic thumbs to backhoes, any tips?  I need to do some more research to figure out how I would go about adding one to this machine, hoping that some of the manuals and accessory books will help point me in the right direction.

Thank You Sponsors!