iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Punky oak for stickers?

Started by Crusarius, April 18, 2018, 04:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I just cut up my first log on my mill. It was a punky red oak. seemed pretty dry but the wood is definitely not good for anything.

Well, maybe not anything. What do you guys think of using them for stickers on some maple cookies and slabs?

The slabs will be less than 3' long and probably 3/8" to 1/2" thick. The purpose for these slabs is crafty projects for my wife. Signs, wood burning planks. stuff like that.

I am all ears, look forward to hearing some opinions.

Crusarius

YellowHammer

I would be very cautious with punk wood.  It will have a tendency to be weaker, so can't be stacked as high, and will have a tendency to generally be a different moisture content than sound wood.  Stickers that are too dry will cause white streaks, stickers too wet cause zebra stripes.  They may be useful for some things but I would not the use them on wood I cared about.  Maple is very prone to sticker stain.  

Punky wood is also prone to insect infestation.  I've had bugs come out of my stickers and drill beautiful, straight lines of holes in line with the sticker contact area right through the wood I was drying.  Ruined the wood for selling.

The old adage, "Good stickers make good lumber" is time tested.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crusarius

Thanks yellowhammer. all good info I never thought of. very glad I asked. Hopefully somebody else will find this helpful in the future.

now I need to go find some good wood I can cut for stickers since next weekend is my Cinco De Mayo party and I am planning on cutting a backsto..... err putting on a show :)

scsmith42

Punky stickers will break on you when you're handling them.  Plus the compression strength will vary between the punky versus non-punky portions, so your lumber may not come out flat.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!