iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw shed and barn swallows....

Started by D6c, April 24, 2018, 05:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

The dang barn swallows showed up today.  They're fun to watch but they make a heck of a mess in the open side of the pole building where my sawmill is.

How do you deal with them?  Any good ways to deter them from nesting in the rafters?
I could line it with steel but I'm not sure that would stop them.  They seem to be able to build on just about any surface.

CCCLLC

Owl decoy from farm store and fake rubber snake from Dollar general.

SawyerTed

The owl and fake snakes work but I've found you have to move them every few days.  I didn't and the barn swallows made a nest on the owl!

I've hung up sections of black flex pipe as simulated fake snakes. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

bags

I do a lot of ADC work for the farmers around here and put'in up bird netting will cure your problems with the swallows.

Chuck White

I do as bags suggests!

The rear of my garage, where I keep my sawmill during the winter doesn't have a door, and the opening is 10X10!

I put bird netting across it, down to about 6½feet and the bottom foot and a half just swings up and out of the way when I move the mill in or out!

I really put it up to ward off the Robins, they are about as persistent as the Barn Swallows!

It's very rare, but once in a while one of them will come in, but they just worry about how to get out more than building a nest!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bags

Theres a lot of different ways to install bird netting. The way I usually put it up in sheds or pole barns is--- 1. On the outside, I cut a piece a little wider than the width of the soffit and as long as the length. I staple one side of the width to the bottom of the facia board and attach the other side about 6 inches down ( so its angled) to the shed wall and run it the length of the soffit. It doesn't have to be stretched tight--- it works better if its a bit loose.

2. On the inside, I run it about 6 inches below the rafters wall to wall, covering the entire ceiling area. Its best if its not pulled tight. Where the netting sags out in the center areas of the shed, it can be hung from the rafters with some lengths of bale'in wire so all the netting is suspended about 6 inches below all the rafters.

The holes in the netting are sized so the birds cant fly up through it because its hanging--- their wings are too wide while in flight. If they land on it, their feet have no stable purchase to let them turn up so they can only hang up side down. When installed properly--- it will keep the birds out.

DR Buck

I use the plastic owls that have the movable heads.  The heads turn and bob with any slight breeze.   Has worked well for many years.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

curved-wood

I know that barn swallows are dirty but I try to keep them around. I've heard that they eat as much as a tablespoon of mosquitos a day! I have over 50 of those birds around. Over the years that means a lot less mosquitos around .
As an incentive, I drive 4'' nails where I prefer that they built their nests because the poo is mainly just under their nest. My nailing does not work all the time but it helps greatly. Also in the second floor of the shed, I unscrew an 8'' board every spring so they have an opening to fly in . Quite impressive to see the swallows crossing an 8'' opening at full speed.

D6c

I might try a swivel head owl or two to start with....cheap fix if it works.  Otherwise the netting hanging from the rafters might be the fix.  Looks like Home Depot has rolls 14' x 100...probably take two rolls.
Closing off the opening completely with netting will be difficult since the whole side of the shed is open for 72' and I'd have to figure out a way to roll it up to access the shed.

I like having the swallows around to eat bugs but dang, they do make a mess.

alan gage

I'm with curved-wood. I like having birds nesting in my buildings or under my eves and barn swallows are tough to beat. At my old place I used to leave the sliding doors open a crack so the barn swallows could get in/out. If there's something under the nest I don't want to get pooped on I cover it up but most of the time it's not a problem. 

I like the idea of tacking up nails or a nesting shelves to encourage them you nest where it's not inconvenient for you.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Peter Drouin

There only there to do the egg thing then gone, Never a problem here.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

slider

They tend to want to nest in my tool box if i leave the lid open . I just can't deal with that.
al glenn

Chuck White

Quote from: curved-wood on April 25, 2018, 08:51:56 AM
I know that barn swallows are dirty but I try to keep them around. I've heard that they eat as much as a tablespoon of mosquitos a day! I have over 50 of those birds around. Over the years that means a lot less mosquitos around .
As an incentive, I drive 4'' nails where I prefer that they built their nests because the poo is mainly just under their nest. My nailing does not work all the time but it helps greatly. Also in the second floor of the shed, I unscrew an 8'' board every spring so they have an opening to fly in . Quite impressive to see the swallows crossing an 8'' opening at full speed.
I put up 15-20 birdhouses to attract the Eastern Bluebirds and Tree Swallows, works like a charm and we rarely see Mosquitos or Black Flies around the yard!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Sounds like you may need a mill cat. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!