iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

455 Rancher oiling issues

Started by bmg88201, June 04, 2018, 07:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmg88201

I am new to this forum and I may be rehashing the topic but I have a 455 Rancher and it has never oiled the chain and bar properly, I have read many and do mean many complaints about this particular model that has oiling issues for the bar and chain. I check it while I am using it to make sure it is not clogged up with chips and debris around where the oil is supposed to come out. Is there a fix for this. I have disassembled the saw down to the oiling mechanism and cannot see anything wrong. Otherwise the saw starts well and cuts good until the bar and chain start to lose lubrication. I am on my third bar and third chain. I am pretty much disgusted right now with Husky, this is a $400 saw.

I could use some advice before I drag it behind my truck down the interstate.

DelawhereJoe

If you warm the saw up, turn it off, then take the bar and side cover off. Start the saw up, look to see if the oiler is pumping oil if not increase rpm till the clutch starts to spin to see if it will even pump oil but be careful as its an outboard clutch. It may be just barely some oil leaking out. Oh also did you turn your oiler up or is it turned all the way down ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

bmg88201

I do have the oiler turned all the way up and have always had it in that position and I will try your other suggestion but I do not know what you mean by an outboard clutch. If you mean be careful not to lose a finger, I get it.

Thanks for the advice,

kenskip1

If memory serves me correctly the oiler for the 460 has a larger volume and will fit directly in place of the stock oil pump.Ken 
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

FYRWOOD GUY

keep your SHARP chain tight don't force a dull chain to cut

FYRWOOD GUY

tried to upload pic of IPL says to big.

15= 537 26 14-01 latest pick -up hose
16= 510 04 43-01 latest pick up hose filter

the early ones were too small and pinched easily,and too small filter.

hope this helps
keep your SHARP chain tight don't force a dull chain to cut

rasawing

First thing to check is: is the saw itself putting out oil. You find that out by taking the bar off and looking at the outlet. Being sure it is putting out......the next thing is: check the bar. A lot of times the weep hole (that gets the oil into the bar) is backed up. (That just got me last weekend.) You run a light gauge wire through the hole to be sure it isn't blocked. Cleaning the groove (where the chain runs) on the bar is good too. 

kalevan

I'm kinda new to chainsaws too. I bought a 455Rancher off of Craig's list without chain and bar.
I got an Oregon bar (the heavy-duty 0.058 roller bar) and chain for it. 
With this combo the saw seems to oil the chain just fine. 

A couple of things, though...
Make sure the oiling hole in the bar matches the oil channel of the saw.
Make sure the oiling hole in the bar is clear of sawdust. Keep a paperclip handy to clear it.
Make sure you clean all the sawdust off the bar and the saw before putting the bar on. That sawdust can allow your oil to leak out between the bar and saw. 
Use a high viscosity bar oil. 
Make sure the passages/tubes between the oil tank and oil pump are clear. 
Perhaps there's a problem with the air check valve for the oil tank. If air can't get into the tank as the oil is pumped out, a vacuum will develop which will interfere with flow to the pump. 
Make sure the oil line filter isn't plugged. It's cheap, so maybe just replace it. 
That's my 2ยข

Thank You Sponsors!