iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple In Trouble

Started by lowpolyjoe, July 03, 2018, 12:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Hey Everybody,

It's been a while since I've been on the Forum.  Hope all is well.

One of our favorite trees is this maple in our front yard - and it's not looking good this year.

I noticed over the past winter that it held all its leaves... i'm not sure if that's normal but I don't remember seeing that in previous years.  Now this spring, maybe 1/3 to  1/2 of the branches have no leaves.   

I see at the base of the tree a little of what looks like sawdust but it's hard to see any holes.   

There are some lines that look like cracks along the trunk.

Weather has been crazy this past year.  We had some wind storms and some serious temperature swings... like 30+ degs in 12 hours sort of thing.   

One other thing - I think my lawn has grubs... and the tree is only a few feet from the lawn.  Not sure if that could have any impact.

Any idea what's going on?  Is there anything I can do?

Thanks a lot,
Joe

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on July 03, 2018, 12:17:19 PM30+ degs in 12 hours sort of thing

Out here, in the summer, we can see 30° to 40° swings as it goes from 65 at dawn to 100° at 4 in the afternoon!  Worst I've seen is 73° in the morning and 117° at 5 pm.

But back to your tree.  It looks like maybe some frost cracks?  And that sawdust is bad, bad news.  Either some boring bugs or termites have taken over.  Is the bark flaking off in places (easy to pop off with a screwdriver)?  I'd say that tree is destined for firewood :(
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mike_belben

I suspect youre gonna find ants inside it.  Theyre after the sugar
Praise The Lord

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 03, 2018, 02:35:36 PM
Quote from: lowpolyjoe on July 03, 2018, 12:17:19 PM30+ degs in 12 hours sort of thing

Out here, in the summer, we can see 30° to 40° swings as it goes from 65 at dawn to 100° at 4 in the afternoon!  Worst I've seen is 73° in the morning and 117° at 5 pm.

But back to your tree.  It looks like maybe some frost cracks?  And that sawdust is bad, bad news.  Either some boring bugs or termites have taken over.  Is the bark flaking off in places (easy to pop off with a screwdriver)?  I'd say that tree is destined for firewood :(
Thanks John.    I haven't had a chance to see if the bark will flake - but I think it will.  It looked a little suspicious when I was taking that first round of pictures.  Total bummer that it sounds like there's not much we can do  :-\      I'm starting to worry about my house - all wood and only about 15' from this tree.  I'm debating if I should call in a tree guy or a bug guy.    
I think you have me beat with those temperatures ... but the weather has definitely been getting crazier lately.   A few months ago I believe it was around 90 one day and down into the 50's that night.  Really bizarre.  

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: mike_belben on July 03, 2018, 03:04:32 PM
I suspect youre gonna find ants inside it.  Theyre after the sugar
thanks for the feedback - gonna be sad to lose this tree 

Thank You Sponsors!