iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut plantation

Started by waynorthmountie, July 09, 2018, 09:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynorthmountie

I recently bought 45 acres in PEI and found this article the other day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-black-walnut-trees-investment-crop-1.4728356

Just curious as to the groups thoughts on this type of plantation. Will be ready for harvest when I'm 65 lol. But I am actually more interested in harvesting the nuts to sell locally to restaurant's and other consumers. The guy will also sell companion trees like hazelnuts and chestnuts to add to the plantation. Spoke to him the other day and he said he would plant and care for the trees at $20 each for the first year including weed mat and pruning.

Has anyone done this, is there as good of financial benefit as stated.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Lee

Tom the Sawyer

There is a lot of information on agroforestry and walnuts at www.walnutcouncil.org 

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

TKehl

We've got a bunch of Walnut and love them.  They are great long term investments, emphasis on long.  They may be saleable in 35 years, and there will be some $ in thinning, but the better bet is to consider them as increasing property value and eventually selling to someone that will see them through to harvest.  Site conditions are very important.  

To get the $5/Lb  they mention you would have to hull them, dry them, crack them, pick them out and sell the nut meat.  A lot more work.

We do pick and sell nuts if we have free time in the fall, but sell them to a hulling station.  $14/ hundred weight after hulling.  I'm trying to improve efficiency (currently using nut wizards), but it only works out to $7-8/hour using the nut wizards in woods grown walnut.  We do it more for tradition and getting the kids out in the woods than anything.  Sometimes they even help.   ;)  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!