iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pasty

Started by Nomad, July 14, 2018, 06:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Got a question for you folks from Michigan.  How do you pronounce "pasty?"  I had a young lady ask me that today and I have no clue.  She said it's "pasty" with a soft a, like in "ambush."  I always thought it was a hard a, but I really have no idea.  Is it one or the other, or is it a regional thing varying between areas?  I know I like 'em, but now realize I don't know how to ask for them properly.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WV Sawmiller

I assume you are talking about a pastry (Paste Ree) the little pies with flaky crusts and not the little round things I hear a stripper wears. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

Its past-ee if we're talking the Cornish sammich kind, the soft a. I haven't had one in years, wish they were around here, yum! I think it can be spelled pastie too.

Nomad

:D  Yes, I was talking about the pastry, not the "decoration."  Consensus seems to be it's with a soft "a."  Thanks for the clarification.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Jeff

It is a soft a, like in last. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Texas Ranger

I used to know a girl named Patsy.  Wait, never mind.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

PA_Walnut

My mother, being a Yooper, made those things on regular occasion.

It was a big production, but I never saw the appeal. I guess it was a comfort food for her since he father was a miner and took them for his lunch.

Made a visit up that way last year. Beautiful countryside and lake views!!

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

DPatton

Funny thing is when we made the trip through the U.P. this summer we stopped at Lehto's Pasties near St. Ignance. The wife tried to order 4 pāsty's. She was quickly corrected by the lady behind the counter that they are pãsties. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

reride82

One of the Pasty shops here in Butte, MT which has a strong Irish/Welsh background due to the underground mines, has a saying. "If you want a pAsty, there is a place just outside of town(in reference to a strip club), but if you want a Pasty we have the best in town!" :D They also have cocktail pasties, which are my favorite potluck item. I prefer mine with pepper and ketchup.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Thank You Sponsors!