iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite Poverty Meal?

Started by No_Dude, August 07, 2018, 12:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No_Dude

As a little kid (heck I still dig it) I remember us doing the really cheap minute rice, the real cheap bar s franks, and either ketchup or some other kind of sauce to give it some kind of flavor. What was/is your favorite poverty meal?

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Ianab

Not really a "poverty" meal, but standing joke in our house that we are down to eating Salmon and Avocado pizza. 

Look it was the night before we usually go to the supermarket, and we were a bit low ingredients. I had a scrounge around and found the last avocado in the fridge, and a small tin of Salmon in the cupboard. Home made pizza base and some cheese and tomato and we were good to go.  :D

We go "upmarket" on the instant rice and get the pre-flavoured stuff. We keep a few packs in the cupboard as it bulks up a quick simple meal when you can't be bothered really cooking anything. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Quote from: mike_belben on August 07, 2018, 01:56:00 AM
Deer steaks.  Thick ones.
Growing up on a farm, with a Dad that was a keen hunter, we also get the venison and wild pork, and yeah, you didn't have to buy it, so I guess it counts. Along with the rabbit and eel I would catch, we ate pretty well really.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mike_belben

I live in a camper surrounded by squash and four legged filet. Life is good.

Well.. Except that blight got the cukes and some random chicken got my cherry tomatoes.  Thats fine, fatten her up. Ill get even.  
Praise The Lord

sprucebunny

Potatoes or cornbread. Canned tuna. Frozen green beans ( either home grown or store).
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Bricklayer51

Fry some burger and onion drain add a can of porknbeans stir in some mustard and ketchup aka cowboy stew. Serve on bread.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

Back when my family was young I fed us rabbit.
In the winter I would cruise the back roads at dusk and shoot them as they sat by their holes.
Got 43 in about 3 weeks and we had rabbit every way imaginable.
Cant stand the thought of it now.
Dont know about my ex or kids
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

I can remember when we first got married and times were tight buying lots of turkey necks which were pretty cheap. They made really good turkey & rice or T& dumplings and good turkey stew or soup.

Seems like back then we could buy a 3 lb box bacon pieces real cheap. We'd use it for seasoning on salad or to grease the pan to make fried rice or such. Another cheap meal we still like is fried cabbage & hot dogs.  Fry a piece or two of bacon to grease the pan and for seasoning, cut a pack of hot dogs crossways into cubes then fry them brown, coarsely chop a head of cabbage and cover with a lid and simmer till it is soft. Lightly salt and go heavy on the black pepper. Serve with cornbread. Makes a great one dish camping meal except for the cornbread.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Leigh Family Farm

Shepards Pie. Ground beef, potatoes, frozen peas, carrots, and onion. Leftovers were converted into soup by adding broth and blending into a puree. Cost was about $5 to feed a family of 6 for two or three meals. 

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Texas Ranger

anything we could catch or kill.  I am told during WWII my father killed jackrabbits out in Colorado, and mom would can them for later use.  Mom canned everything, so not unusual to see a mason jar sitting on the sink.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Southside

Red tailed hawk, Spotted Owl being a white meat just gets old after a while.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Southside logger on August 07, 2018, 09:20:04 AM
Red tailed hawk, Spotted Owl being a white meat just gets old after a while.   :D
You are a sick man!!!  >:(

No wonder you fit in so well here. :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Just Right

Red tailed hawk, Spotted Owl being a white meat just gets old after a while.   :D

Those and the Eagle. . . . .all taste like chicken!  Can't over cook them or you will dry them out.

If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

No_Dude

Quote from: Just Right on August 07, 2018, 10:49:04 AM

Those and the Eagle. . . . .all taste like chicken!  Can't over cook them or you will dry them out.
Well heck, I work for a Chicken company, I've seen so many birds I dont need any more in my life

Ljohnsaw

When we first moved out here, my wife never had sour cream or black olives before - and she loved them at first taste!  We were young and poor - we ate a lot of bean-cheese-black olive-sour cream burritos.  Like 2 or 3 times a week.  Probably less than $2 a meal for the two of us!  To change it up, pan fry them and have chimmichungas (sp) served on a bed of lettuce.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mike_belben

Im known to make a $1 pot of side dish noodles and a $1 can of corn into dinner pretty often.  More camper cuisine. 
Praise The Lord

Roxie

Growing up, it was hamburger gravy because one pound of hamburger would stretch to feed six people two separate meals.  We would have it for dinner over mashed potatoes, and the next morning over toast for breakfast.  In a seven day week, it was served no less than two times a week. 

This was the white gravy that was used to make chipped beef or sausage gravy.  We aspired to chipped beef, we dreamed of sausage.  If you could find more than a dime sized piece of hamburger on your toast, you were living.  :)

Say when

PA_Walnut

Surely, a pasty must be on this list!  :-X
(my mother, being a Yupper, loved these things. Me....not so much)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Jeff

WV Sawmiller

Roxie,

I think I'm coming to your house for lunch and breakfast. That sounds pretty good to me. I'm ready to try it over a bowl of rice right now. ;D
Howard Green

submarinesailor

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 08, 2018, 09:00:11 AM
Roxie,

I think I'm coming to your house for lunch and breakfast. That sounds pretty good to me. I'm ready to try it over a bowl of rice right now. ;D
1 pound of hamburger, one cup of uncooked rice and a can of cream of mushroom soap.  All cooked together to feed 7 of us.
Roxie - If you need a dime sized piece of hamburger, you had to watch out.  You may have gotten a folk in the back of your hand while trying to steal in from your sibling. :o :o ;D

Thank You Sponsors!