iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jobs In Forestry

Started by Ttrees, September 20, 2018, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ttrees

Hi, I'm in high school and I'm starting to think about what I want to do for a living and was thinking about forestry. I've grown up in the woods and my grandfather was a forester as well. My only reservation is the jobs available. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the job market is like for forestry graduates right now, and if it's worth it to spend the money to get a degree in forestry or wood science?

Southside

Welcome to the Forum Ttrees.  There are a good many foresters on here that can provide you with plenty of information.  I am going to tag a couple here just to get their attention anmd help with getting more eyes on your post.  @WDH @Wudman @SwampDonkey 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Wudman

On our end of the business it is a pretty good time for young foresters looking for jobs.  I'm in land management for one of the TIMOs.  My colleagues are getting a bit long in the tooth.  I'm one of the younger guys at 51.  A large percentage of our foresters are over 60 years old and will be looking to retire in the next few years.  We have had a difficult time attracting qualified candidates to fill our open positions.

Students interested in pursuing "dirt" forestry has waned in recent years.  There are not a lot of kids coming out of school that want to fight the heat, mosquitos, deer flies, and ticks to cruise timber or conduct inventories.  We are seeing a lot of folks interested in GIS and Computer applications as well as the "Environmental" side of things.  I've been in this business for 30 years and enjoy what I do.  I don't dread going to work in the morning.  I've been able to make a decent living.  Had I been a little more frugal, retirement would have been a possibility in the near future.  However, I'll keep on working as long as the Good Lord will allow.  At some time, it may be on my own terms.

I'll be headed to VA Tech on Monday for their annual College of Forestry career fair.  We are actively recruiting candidates......so, yes it is a good time for young foresters.  Drop me a PM and I will give you my contact information if you would like to talk.  I'm happy to answer any questions that I can.  Good luck to you.  Just so you know, VA Tech is the number one rated forestry school in the nation.  Go Hokies!

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

WDH

It has been a very rewarding career for me.  If you go to a good school and study hard and get an Internship, I would say that your job prospects are good.  There are many more forestry jobs in the South as this is where the heaviest concentration of Industry is located.  The sawmill business is doing very well right now, and there have been a number of new mega-mills announced recently in Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi.  It is also where the bulk of the commercial timberland is located.  This is not to say that there are not forestry jobs in Maine, just that the scale of the business in the South is much larger. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

RPF2509

I will agree with what others have said.  Its a good time to get into forestry.  Just got back from the Pacific Logging Congress and everyone is looking for young people to step up and take over from the older folks - loggers - foresters - millwrights - there are openings in all categories for young people to get their feet wet.  Many companies here in CA could not get summer technicians; licensed forester positions stay available for months - less than 20 people passed the licensing exam this year.  And yes the forester and logging community is graying and thinking of retiring.  I'd say that's universal across the US.  I see forests becoming even more important in the future with new products and uses being discovered and previously non valued attributes becoming marketable.  Standing trees are the worlds great oxygen producers and managing them remains an important job.  I'd say go for it and invest in a degree.  There are tons of options when it comes to focusing on your interests.  Many scholarships are available and summer jobs are plentiful.

SpruceGoose

Ttrees, go for it! If you like being in the woods and love trees there is no better profession, in my opinion. I would suggest that you try your hardest to get internships every summer you can while in school and take those internships in as many places as you can, the SE, the NW, your area of the NE, or anywhere else an internship may open up. Then after school you will know what you will be getting into if you get offered and accept a job in an area with woods you would otherwise know very little about. Working in the SE is very different than working in the woods of the north. With all that being said the job market for young foresters is great right now and be ready to cut your teeth in the woods cruising, painting sale and property lines, and doing inventory work. I don't think there is a better way to learn the forestry profession than spending a lot of time early on amongst the trees that you will be managing. Good luck, have fun, be the best Forester you can be, and live the dream. ;D

etroup10

A little bit different than forestry, but lumber grading is in the same industry and graders are in demand right now. Plus its a cheaper and shorter education. If you check around at mills they may even pay for your education. I am in the process of grading school and so far its a good experience. Lots of basic math and memorization. But depending on what route you take, you will be finished with school in 12 weeks if you go in person or if you do the partially online you would have up to a year. In my class i believ all but one person had their education paid for by their company. Look into it, see if its something you might like. Talk with a couple mills and see what a grader does and if its something you could see yourself doing!
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

acsa3

I graduated with a forestry degree in 2012 so I have some experience in the current jobs market.   Many of my friends have gone the route of utility forestry,  assessing power lines and gas line right of ways for interfering trees.   These jobs are more plentafle and tend to pay more than a traditional forestry job.   I have stuck with traditional forestry, You can still find jobs but I think the market is not as strong as it is for unity forestry.   When your starting out you have to be willing to take a seasonal position, maybe it will turn into more.   Also most jobs starting out are 14-16 an hour.  Being from Maine you might have good luck finding a job in your state iv seen a number of entry level fotestry positions advertised for lumber companies there.

Thank You Sponsors!