iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl saw ignitions

Started by Alleycat10281, September 26, 2018, 01:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alleycat10281

I have a friend that lost a huge Oak tree to a recent storm.
He started to cut it up with a Stihl MS310. The ignition quit after a few tank of gas. 
He then started to use his Stihl 044 and after a few tanks of fuel, it also failed the ignition.
He then started to use his small Stihl 017 which failed it's ignition aftere a few tanks of fuel.
I replaced the ignition on the MS310 with an after market ignition which lasted about an hour an it failed.
I replaced the ignition on the 044 with a Stihl original new part ($130) It lasted about three tanks of fuel and failed.
I replaced the ignition on the MS310 with a used ignition from another parts saw. It lasted a few tanks of fuel and failed.
So far, he has failed 5 ignitions on three different saws cutting this tree.
I suspect there is a nearby rock formation that is emitting EMP which is effecting these ignitions.
He is now going to remove all wood from the area before he cuts any of it.
Anyone else ever have a situation like this?

dougand3

Never seen this. Be interesting if saws no longer have ignition module problems outside this area. 
This may require Mulder and Scully.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Al_Smith

I can't say I've ever heard of a rock causing ignition problems .Electromagnetic pulse might have some effect in rare cases on some things,radio interference etc but highly unlikely on something as simple as  an ignition coil .Maybe enclose the coil with a tin foil hat ?

Alleycat10281

I'm not sure if it's EMP or something else but I know there are areas in the Great Lakes that are marked so no one takes their boat in the area because the area will mess up the electronics in the watercraft. why can't that happen on land?

lxskllr

Sounds crazy to me, but the ordinary is indistinguishable from magic to the ignorant. What I would do is try to test the area. You could start with your cell phone sensors. Even if you don't know what you're looking at, if the readings are drastically different from what you get at your house, it gives you a starting point to go "Hmm...", then take it from there.

sablatnic

I have had good luck finding lost tools with a metaldetector app on my phone. 
And it was free - you could try that to see if something "funny" is lurking.

bandmiller2

Your friend didn't just have a bad batch of gas did he, shorting out all the plugs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

joe_indi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 09, 2018, 07:06:57 AM
Your friend didn't just have a bad batch of gas did he, shorting out all the plugs. Frank C.
Thank you for asking this question. I had the same thought when I saw this post a few days ago ;D

Thank You Sponsors!