iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cold splitters

Started by trapper, December 11, 2018, 10:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Both my spliters with small briggs engines are very hard to start when it gets below 40f  Ideas needed
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

What model of engine? Make sure the choke is fully closed. Try 10W30 oil if you are not already doing so. Also try a lighter hydraulic oil such as AW32 to reduce the parasitic load.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

Mine starts really hard too. Ether.
Too many irons in the fire

stavebuyer

Torpedo heater or tank heater on the pump /hydraulic tank helps. Its the stiff hydraulic fluid making it harder and slower to turn over.

thecfarm

I have a briggs too. A 5 year old could start it on July 4th. A slow easy pull and off it goes. Down to 30,I pull and pull. I put one of those magnetic heaters on the bottom of the motor. Than I put a piece of old carpet on the top to keep the heat in. Much and I do mean much better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pulphook

Same hard starting below 32 F. I go to a higher octane in winter for the saws and brush cutter.
The ether starting fluid can be touchy. Flashback once burnt the beard.
It's one of the reasons besides noise and maintenance that I now use electric splitters. Much slower but no starting problems.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

straincm

Starter fluid. Just a quick spray. Then 1 or 2 pulls and it is off and running. Otherwise I would pull for 10 minutes and still nothing.

hedgerow

Quote from: trapper on December 11, 2018, 10:33:18 PM
Both my spliters with small briggs engines are very hard to start when it gets below 40f  Ideas needed
I always run syn oil in the engine on my splitters that helps a lot. If you don't have a way to heat the hyd oil up I would give it a quick spray of starting fluid. 

Southside

Just a thought but could you have clogged jets by the choke ? Especially if you have had ethanol gas in there sitting for a while? 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

trapper

I only use non ethanol premium gas in it at all times.  Will go to thinner oil maybe synthetic and the magnetic heater on oil tank.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

sawguy21

Ether is hard on these little engines, I have seen numerous galled cylinder walls and pistons. I much prefer a squirt of gas.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Hilltop366

barbender

I agree that there us plenty of evidence that ether is hard on them. It's harder on me when it won't start, though😊 One of the magnetic electric heaters on the hydraulic tank would work great I imagine. 
Too many irons in the fire

hedgerow

Quote from: trapper on December 12, 2018, 10:37:07 AM
I only use non ethanol premium gas in it at all times.  Will go to thinner oil maybe synthetic and the magnetic heater on oil tank.
Synthetic oil will help a lot. If you have power were the splitter is kept warming up the hyd oil will make it start like summer. My splitter is stored in a building that has no power on the farm so a little starting fluid is in order. I have been doing it on a V twin Briggs for 25 years and the motor still runs great and uses no oil. 

thecfarm

I tried that synthetic. I must be doing something wrong. I noticed really no difference.  As I said the heater on the oil pan and a piece of carpet kinda draped over it has helped more than the fake oil.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Check to see if you have a pilot screw adjustment first.  Fatten up the low speed and it should help.  

Bottle torch on the crankcase and aluminum pump housing for a few seconds doesnt hurt either.  I have gotten plenty and i mean plenty of cold diesels running with a fire under the oilpan and a bottle torch on the intake and fuel filter. Gotta do what ya gotta do
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

Great ideas.  I use the KAT'S magnetic heaters on hydraulic tanks over night if I know I am working wood the next day.  Sawmill and log-splitter.  It keeps the oil about 20 degrees warmer.  I recently shredded a belt turning the pump with increased viscosity from the cold. The smaller engines and the funky carbs that come with, often do better if you can run the carb. out of gas to store.  I put a little sea foam in occasionally and I understand it has some stabilizing component as well.  In a pinch you can put hot coals in a pan under the motor.  Watch out for dripping oil or gas, or the resulting fire may solve your whole "splitting in the cold" issue.  I tell my Uncle he needs to get all his splitting done in the spring.  He tells me the same thing.  We never seem to get it all done.  To hold in the heat, an old moving blanket works well, or a cheap one from HF.  Not sure what is harder on the engine, the ether, or the cold start.  I usually start things up and let idle for about 1.5 cups of coffee for every 10 degrees below freezing.   :christmas:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

upnut

Switch to a motor oil formulated for snow blower engines and park your splitter in the sun if you can.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

John Mc

When I had my splitter in for some engine work, the guy working on it filled it with SAE 30 oil. It started great in the summer, but started getting harder once the temp dropped below about 45˚F. Below about 30 I could not start it. I switched to a 10W-30 synthetic and it starts fine. I've tried it down to about 15˚F with no problem. I haven;t had the need to go much below that with my splitter.

I have started string it in the walk-out basement of my workshop. It's unheated, but since most of it is underground, it stays a good bit warmer than the outside air in Winter time.

I have resorted to aiming an old electric milkhouse heater at some engines in the winter. I also have a couple of heating elements that used to go in pockets of the cowl cover for our Cessna 172. They've been put into service by cramming them in around the engine of various small equipment, and then I throw an old blanket or worn out sleeping bag over the top to hold the heat in. I was surprised how much difference even a think blanket made in keeping the heat in.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Bruno of NH

-7° this morning at 5:45
Did other things till 10:00 both splitters started right up.
I run 10w30 synthetic for small engines
Kohler on one splitter Lyfan on the other
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

jwilly3879

thecfarm

When it dies I will. Starts so easy when it's warm,just a slow easy pull and it's going. Have to pull it quick when it's cold. 

Southside

Would a primer like those found on 2 stroke snowmobiles work? Always managed to start a sled even at -20 that had one on it - thinking of Ski-Doo specifically.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

Quote from: jwilly3879 on December 13, 2018, 09:33:57 PM
Put a Honda on it.

Mine has a Honda on it. Still can be a booger to start on cold days. Not sure what oil it has in it. I did notice some carb icing last cold snap and it wasn't really that cold, mid 20's maybe. Or at least I think icing was the problem. Ran fin with no load but would die under a load, even after running for a while. Ran fine once it warmed up outside. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!