iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scroll Saw Safety

Started by LeeB, December 18, 2018, 10:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

How safe are scroll saws? I'm thinking about getting one for Lindy. She loves to do craft stuff and i thing it would be another good outlet for her creative endeavors but sometimes her dexterity isn't as good as it used to be. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Larry

I think fairly safe.  I've taught shop class to a lot of young ones and have put them on a scroll saw without any problems.

The blades break on a frequent basis and I normally have to replace the blade for the kids.  Most of the saws have a hold down foot which needs to be in place or the part can get away from the kid and chatter.  Those are the only two issues I've seen.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DWyatt

Very much agree with Larry, a scroll saw can be a deceiving machine to a new person. The whole "such a small machine" thought can get someone in trouble. For a new person a hold down foot is a must. A piece can get away from you and slam on the table which for me is more of a scare than a threat. Once you get some time under your belt and understand the margins of safety for the machine the foot can be optional. 

The biggest thing I have learned is knowing what size of blade to use in relation to the thickness you are scrolling and the tension you can put on a blade. Too small of a blade with thick pieces can lead to premature blade breakage and a machine arm flopping around until you get it shut down. In short, go for it. For me it's definitely my meditation after a long day at work. :)

LeeB

Where do you get patterns from? Do you design your own? Do you print them and attach with spray adhesive? All new subject to both of us.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DWyatt

I tried the spray adhesive one time. never again, I am not sure if I used the wrong kind or what but it was a mess. Maybe other have had better luck but I strictly stick to double faced tape. It is easy and fairly fast to apply, I use about 1" pieces covering the back of whatever I use for a template, then when you're done, a razor blade removes it with no mess.

Sometimes I just draw on the wood, other times I print templates at work. Find a small engineering firm close to you, we are friendly (I hope I'm speaking for the majority) and we have the ability to print 36" wide and however long you want for a relatively small charge compared to large printing places. I find a lot of things online and trace them in AutoCAD then print at work.

LeeB

Good info guys. Any recommendation on a beginner saw without breaking the bank for something she may or may not use, yet not a piece of junk either?

jimbarry

If you can find yourself a Ryobi SC162VS, its a good little scroll saw for about $100. I've had one for +20 yrs. I use primarily spiral scrollsaw blades. 

Lots of places online to get plans and patterns. We own/operate FreeWoodworkingPlan.com So have a go there, lots of projects to source out.

LeeB

lil171

For plans, what I used is I believe 'carbon paper'? It is the stuff that old credit card receipts had in between the sheets, only in letter size. I would just find any picture I liked, taped it down with the carbon paper in between and trace it out. There is another method using I believe and inkjet printed copy face down on clean bare wood then use an iron on high and it will leave the outline. there are a couple other easy ways as well.

Kindlinmaker

Scroll sawing is like turning, instant gratification.  A great stress reliever and lots of different project choices.

Plenty of pattern books around at reasonable prices. They are good for complex work. Simple patterns can be made from anything printed or drawn on paper using the copier function on your printer (or your local copy center for larger formats).  My son does very complex work and likes to mount patterns using dry mount spray on wide blue painters tape applied to the entire wood block; sure beats gluing them on with Elmer's glue we did a hundred years ago when I was in school.  

DWyatt - What 2 sided tape do you use and where do you get it.  I like the idea but I haven't found a tape I really like. 
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

DWyatt

Quote from: Kindlinmaker on December 19, 2018, 11:09:13 PMDWyatt - What 2 sided tape do you use and where do you get it.  I like the idea but I haven't found a tape I really like. 

Kindlinmaker, I just use the normal yellow label "Scotch Double-Sided Permanent Tape" it has worked well enough for me that I haven't attempted to look for anything different. I make a good attempt to keep my business local and that Scotch Tape is what a friend of mine carries at his hardware store so that's what I use and it works. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is only 3/8"-1/2" wide so it take a lot of pieces. I normally tape only on the lines and use pieces about 1"-2" long, any longer and it can ripple the paper. It sticks well enough that the up stroke of the saw doesn't rip it off but a utility knife blade separates it from the wood real easy when you're done with no residue. 

jimbarry

What also works for sticking patterns to wood is printing on self adhesive paper. Just run it through a printer like normal paper (inkjet or thermal). Depending on the quality of the adhesive, you will want to test how hard to press down onto the wood. Good quality paper will not lift while cutting but will also be a bit difficult to peel off. If that is the case what you can do is first cover the wood surface with cheap packing tape, the 2-3 inch wide clear tape you can pick up at the dollar store. Then stick your paper pattern to that. Peels off easy, and the cheap tape's sticky stuff aids in lubricating the scroll saw blades while cutting (last longer). I have boxes of 11x17 self adhesive paper. I also have a 36" wide format printer that prints on self adhesive vinyl for the big projects.

DWyatt

Quote from: jimbarry on December 20, 2018, 07:45:19 AM
What also works for sticking patterns to wood is printing on self adhesive paper. Just run it through a printer like normal paper (inkjet or thermal). Depending on the quality of the adhesive, you will want to test how hard to press down onto the wood. Good quality paper will not lift while cutting but will also be a bit difficult to peel off. If that is the case what you can do is first cover the wood surface with cheap packing tape, the 2-3 inch wide clear tape you can pick up at the dollar store. Then stick your paper pattern to that. Peels off easy, and the cheap tape's sticky stuff aids in lubricating the scroll saw blades while cutting (last longer). I have boxes of 11x17 self adhesive paper. I also have a 36" wide format printer that prints on self adhesive vinyl for the big projects.
Where do you get that paper? I never thought of such a thing!

LeeB

Still mulling on this and which one to get. There about a dozen of them all look they fell from the same tree with a price range from ~$90 - $160. I kinda like the looks of the Delta 40-694 but it's at a much higher price bracket. Found it for $350 and change. I've seen in other threads that the General Internationals are the cat's meow but a little out of my price range. I do see they also offer one that looks like it fell out of the same tree as the rest of the clones for $100. So many choices. 

TKehl

Lots of them on the used market cheap!  Like radial arm saws, they've fallen out of favor, but new prices sure haven't dropped!

At auction a couple months ago, they couldn't get bidding started on a Delta scroll saw.  The auctioneer finally said he'd start it at $2.  He bought it for $2, then tried to give it to me after the auction saying he only wanted the stand.   ;)

Also laser engravers are great for pattern transfer.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

jimbarry

Quote from: DWyatt on December 20, 2018, 07:50:16 AMWhere do you get that paper? I never thought of such a thing!
I don't know if its sold at retail level. We buy direct from manufacturer. I've got cases of it here. Send me a message if you wanted to buy some. $0.25 a sheet 8.5x11 inch. I got 11x17" here too, those would be $0.50 each.

Edit: We also sell carbon paper (aka tracing paper). A 5 sheet pack that covers a full sheet of plywood is $5.95.

LeeB

The deed is done. Decided to go with the Delta. I figured if she doesn't like or use it I can always add it to my collection of shop toys.

DWyatt

Congratulation! I'm sure she'll love it! 8)

LeeB

If she doesn't I'm sure I can find a use for it.  ;D Wonder what other tools she might want?  :D

DWyatt

Quote from: LeeB on December 21, 2018, 09:50:31 AM
If she doesn't I'm sure I can find a use for it.  ;D Wonder what other tools she might want?  :D
With any luck she'll have a list of tools she wants! Heaven forbid you would have to get them all! ;D

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!