iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baby Stihl

Started by JBS 181, December 30, 2018, 02:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS 181

Have a little branch cutter Stihl. I believe it is an ms170. Runs great cutting, but will not idle in normal or cutting position. Horizontal. It will idle when saw is tipped vertical. Nose of bar pointing at ground. Where might I start examining  saw first for idle problem. Saw is around 5 years old. Thanks.

sawguy21

Check the fuel line and impulse line for cracks.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

I am no expert. But I would be concerned about that sucking air and running on the lean side. :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

joe_indi

Though it could be a fuel hose gone stiff, symptoms  are similar when the jet valve in the carb does not seal properly. This causes air to enter the metering chamber thus leaning out the fuel

Pulphook

All the above , and : fuel filter, fuel tank vent ( in the saw ), change and/or regap & clean plug.
Since I'm dumb. look for simple fixes.
My 170 is the "emergency" saw when the others don't work or are stuck. Stihl made it for "the girls" :D : light, easy to run and start.
Thanks to the brain who suggested using canola oil for the bar in the cold.....my boss however didn't like it. :-[
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Air Lad

They also have a plastic band to help hold the boot to cylinder head,
a hose clamp would do better. Also the spark arrestors get clogged and give bogging issues. A mate gave me one he had melted piston. I fixed it up and it's one handy little saw.
Good luck with it

Thank You Sponsors!