iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Upgrading a Husqvarna 61 to a 272xp

Started by Smithy, January 22, 2019, 09:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smithy

What Cylinder Kit would you recommend as well as any other helpful information? Any information on porting would be appreciated, any good videos or links as well. 

wild262

OEM is the only cyl. kit I would use in these.  Prices have dropped to a affordable level from Husky.   You can find them on e-bay sometimes used, at a good price as well.   If you have the later 1-coil orange top 61, its alittle easier, and your top cover will more likely to fit.  But none are to hard to convert.  I have done 6-7 of them, and there all a little bit different.  There's alittle more involved than just putting on the cyl.  I would suggest you watch the excellent videos from "afleetcommand" on you-tube.              Its a nice power boost for the ole 61.  If you run across a good oem 268xp cyl. I would recommend that too.   That puts out almost as much power as the 272.  Its a 50mm vs the 52mm of the 272.  Have fun with it. :)

wild262

I forgot to welcome you to the forum!  Were all glad to help you at anytime.  ;)

Smithy

Thanks for the info and the welcome. I was thinking that OEM would be the best way to go, 

wild262

Good looking 61.  Is this currently a running saw?  This is the 2-coil 2nd. generation model.

Smithy

Yes it,s running good, my reason for upgrading is to use it on a chainsaw mill. I used to run a 395xp on a similar mill, it was a monster of a saw but I sold it. I have been sorry for that ever since. Some pictures in the gallery of it. Husqvarna 395XP Mill -

wild262

I see.  If it were me, I would not use a 61/272 for milling.  I would try and find at least a 85cc or bigger.  You'd be putting a lot of stress on that 61/272 even if it was all new, let alone a 35-40 yr old saw. 

Smithy

We only have Balsom Fir to saw around here an not very big wood at that, mostly in the 8" to 12" range. The 395xp would eat that at 3/4 throttle. I think the 272 is approximately 1 Hp less so I was thinking that it would be adequate. The saw is old but has seen very little use I am pretty sure that is the original bar.  

HolmenTree

Quote from: Smithy on January 23, 2019, 03:54:51 PM
We only have Balsom Fir to saw around here an not very big wood at that, mostly in the 8" to 12" range. The 395xp would eat that at 3/4 throttle. I think the 272 is approximately 1 Hp less so I was thinking that it would be adequate. The saw is old but has seen very little use I am pretty sure that is the original bar.  
Balsam fir makes junk lumber Smithy.
I graded lumber for a bit and we were only allowed to put a economy stamp on it. Pulp and paper mill eats it up though.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

wild262

Quote from: Smithy on January 23, 2019, 03:54:51 PM
We only have Balsom Fir to saw around here an not very big wood at that, mostly in the 8" to 12" range. The 395xp would eat that at 3/4 throttle. I think the 272 is approximately 1 Hp less so I was thinking that it would be adequate. The saw is old but has seen very little use I am pretty sure that is the original bar.  

Well, you never said what wood, so I assumed it was the larger, harder species.  No bigger than that is you probably would be ok.  If you don't go to big on your bar size it should oil fine.  One thing I "would" do is tune your saw to run a 32:1 oil mix.  Pretty sure when that saw was new they recommended 40:1.  Those lower bearings & crank need all the oil they can get with any kind of milling.  Its just good insurance. ;)

Smithy

What do you think of this kit? The OEM prices that I have found so far are out of this world.$200 to $400 for a cylinder alone.

EBAY LINK REMOVED BY admin, refer to forum rules; Forestry Forum Rules

wild262

Quote from: Smithy on January 24, 2019, 11:09:10 AM
What do you think of this kit? The OEM prices that I have found so far are out of this world.$200 to $400 for a cylinder alone.

I would find a good used one then.  If you don't want used, there's a Meteor kit on e-bay for $166.  They are the only other kit I would trust.  The Hy-Way kits have been a hit & miss with me, so I don't buy them anymore.  One other option, Spike60, might be able to get you a OEM kit at a better price since he is a dealer.  He's on this site from time to time.  Check with him.

Allar

As far as i know, Meteor makes the best aftermarket kits.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Smithy

Quote from: wild262 on January 24, 2019, 11:39:51 AM
Quote from: Smithy on January 24, 2019, 11:09:10 AM

I would find a good used one then.  If you don't want used, there's a Meteor kit on e-bay for $166.  They are the only other kit I would trust.  The Hy-Way kits have been a hit & miss with me, so I don't buy them anymore.  One other option, Spike60, might be able to get you a OEM kit at a better price since he is a dealer.  He's on this site from time to time.  Check with him.
I wll check it out. Thanks.

Smithy

Found this Husqvarna cylinder Kit but says it's for a 2017-08 272XP, will it fit an 80's Husqvarna 61 anyone know anything about this seller and this kit?

OEM Husqvarna 272 XP. 2017-08 Cylinder

HolmenTree

That's wrong 272XP was discontinued in the late 1990's.
Husqvarna does still make a detuned 272XP in Brazil, but was never sold in North America.

HolmenTree

About 6 years ago I bought a 1993 272XP that was never used with not a scratch on it. 
Ended up selling it after burning only a few tanks through it. Not as nice to use as my much newer saws.

Thank You Sponsors!