iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Custom Sawyer's sawmill

Started by Tom, September 10, 2009, 09:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

The back-hoe is a Cat 420D I T. There is a quick coupler on the front that lets you switch from forks to bucket.

Okra that is not the mill that we will be cutting with on Sat. It don't mean that you can't go see that mill but it is another hour away from the house.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: customsawyer on August 30, 2012, 04:00:14 AM
The back-hoe is a Cat 420D I T. There is a quick coupler on the front that lets you switch from forks to bucket.

Okra that is not the mill that we will be cutting with on Sat. It don't mean that you can't go see that mill but it is another hour away from the house.

I reckon I'll pass, and just content myself with what's at your house.  ;) My boss already was trying to get me to go look at a bulldozer WEST of Atlanta on this trip down, which would put me way out of my way. I looked at mapquest and said "No way. Only going to Rentz."
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Sawyer: our machine doesn't have the 'IT' feature, but I still have to say that it's the best investment [forestry wise] that we've ever made.  I've been running hoes since I was a kid on the farm, and I'm still learning new ways to use this machine in our operation.  I was wondering how the enclosure on your machine works out during the summers down there ... Do you have a good A/C unit in the machine?
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

customsawyer

I am not in the machine for very long lengths of time so I open all the windows and run it like that. It does have AC but I rarely use it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: customsawyer on September 02, 2012, 03:08:32 PM
I am not in the machine for very long lengths of time so I open all the windows and run it like that. It does have AC but I rarely use it.

However, we learned that he does use the Air Conditioning in his John Deere.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Peter Drouin

Well if you have use it, I do :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Sawyer: I suppose I should do some research on the new mills, but doesn't the standard LT70 have the same bed length as an LT40?  If so, you obviously added a bed extension to your mill.  Assuming that I'm on the right track here, will you give me your thoughts on the bed extensions? 

I've had to do it a lot lately, so it's really fresh in my mind ... but I really hate cutting our sawlogs down in length to 'fit the mill' ... and don't even get me going on being an inch or two too long.  :-[   
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

Okrafarmer

He'll answer when he sees it. I saw Leroy's bed extension in Louisiana last week, where he was milling long cypress. It works pretty nicely for him.

Around here, we're hard pressed to find a log longer than 20' that's straight enough to warrant milling whole.

customsawyer

I have a 24' bed extension on the mill. I also have another 12' extension that I can add if the call comes in for longer stuff. I like the bed extension. There is a certain learning curve when sawing with one but it is not to steep. The biggest thing you have to learn is how to turn a log with out causing any damage to the corners of the timbers.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Sawyer: What type of edger system do you use down there?  In your experience, what are the upsides and downsides of using a double-blade edger versus the single-blade type? 

We own a very substantial unit already, so I was wondering what your thoughts are on employing a table saw for edging.

One things for sure, however ... 'gang edging' on the mill slows things way down, so, obviously, we're looking into ways to speed things up.  :P

customsawyer

I have never ran a single blade edger. There is no way I could get the production that I do without a edger. Many have seen my little edger run here at the house and all I can tell them is they need to see my other one. I ran 3" thick cypress through it for a week. Thank God it was not oak. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!