iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-mizer LT40

Started by Gunslinger, October 14, 2010, 08:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunslinger

Hi all, thinking of getting a sawmill since I have 15 acres of woods that are going to be mostly cleared. I have looked at many sawmills, and feel I really only need a mill to cut up to 28" logs or so. And I can get a new setup for about $8000 with the basics that I want. However, I have found a local with a 2009 Wood-mizer LT40 Hydraulic, comes with debarker and accuset and 15 blades. He paid 28,000 and change last year for it, it has 134 hours on it, and supposedly is like new. He is asking 21,000 for it and the warranty is transferable (I called woodmizer to be sure). All things being said, it is more than twice what I would pay for a basic setup, for more bells and whistles and slightly larger log capacity. That being said, I want some opinions as to wether or not to get just what I need, or buy this unit and have a better saw, which I think I should be able to get most of the cost back if I sell in the next few years....any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Gunslinger

Also I should add that I will use my tractor's FEL with forks to move and load my logs.

Tom

Firstly, it would be nice to know the mill that you are comparing this LT40 against.  knowing the importance of hydraulics and the nicety of setworks,  I would say that you would be money ahead to buy the more expensive mill.  Your production should be doubled, at least, with less labor.  The big question is, can you afford the $21,000?

I imagine that your plan of selling the mill when you get through is a dream that will never happen.  Most of us find that we can't turn the mill loose.  It seems that jobs keep coming in, we keep finding new projects and even begin to shop for a bigger mill, eventually.

You need to do some educating.  Go look at mills operate and go to some shows.  Visit some friend who has a mill and determine what your necessities really are.  There is an AG show coming up in Moultrie, Ga. on Oct. 19-20-21.  There will be others. 

If you have to move right now, and can afford the LT40, I would make that choice.  Of course that means that your 38 foot long log requirement will be nullified, without buying extensions.  That hasn't bothered most of us for what we do.  There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Thank You Sponsors!