iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

entry level bandmill

Started by DDobbs, December 05, 2012, 10:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDobbs

I have been trying to add apples to apples for sometime on a couple bandmills.

The EZ Boardwalk both the Jr & 40 an the Wood-Mizer LT15 GO

When you come down to dollars there is a very clear winner.

I have seen all 3 in person the WM was a very low hour saw it wasn't new like 16 or 17 hours in a shed. It was very nice but even used way higher than the EZ's.
   Give me some thoughts.....

They are both on the list to the left hope it is ok to ask this.

I have a CMS now saw mostly urban wood that would be in a landfill if not taken other wise but having a time keeping up.
So it is not like I need to saw 1500 ft a day a manual mill will do me fine

Just putting this out here to get thoughts

Thanks
Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

beenthere

It's your money so it is your call.
If it were my money, I know which it would be but it is not.

If your choice doesn't work out for some reason, I wouldn't want to be blamed. ;)

And look at what it might be worth when you decide to sell it. There are reasons used prices are higher on some equipment for some brands. If it were green, it would be even more expensive, so I hear.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

While we may favor the FF sponsors, any question about any sawmill brand/manufacturer is OK.  I saw one non-sponsor sawmill brand get discussed on here which later became a sponsor, probably due to that discussion.

Non favored would be a Chinese knockoff trying to duplicate a sponsor's product.   smiley_thumbsdown smiley_thumbsdown
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Fil-Dill

I have owned both EZ mills. If you are going to buy a manual mill, they are as good as it gets.
EZ boardwalk 40

tomkat001

My Boardwalk JR does everything I ask it to. Last weekend I cut a 30" Maple. It was a lot of work getting everything linned up, but the saw performed perfectly.

Ed is a great guy to work with, he delivered the mill and went thru everything with me.

I am a limited weekend sawyer only, so it's not like I run it hard all day long everyday, I don't think I'm man enough for that :)
Boardwalk Jr. , JD 5075E with 553 loader, Stihl 290 Farm Boss,

DDobbs

If it were green, it would be even more expensive, so I hear.  ;D
[/quote]

I have 3 older green ones an that is right!

I am leaning to the EZ just cause the dollars an how they are built. I can't come up for a reason to spend the extra $3500 to $4500.

I understand the resale point that was made. But every used of either one that comes up for sale are not on the market long.

Thanks for everyones input

Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Magicman

Member Paul Case, had a very favorable experience with a Boardwalk.  He is also an expert with the PCM, ballast, auditory comprehension, chicken, and bungee belts.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Fil-Dill

Can you buy the boardwalk 40 for the same price as a LT15 GO?
EZ boardwalk 40

MotorSeven

Quote from: DDobbs on December 05, 2012, 02:10:54 PM

I am leaning to the EZ just cause the dollars an how they are built. I can't come up for a reason to spend the extra $3500 to $4500.

Dave

Dave, $3500-4500 difference?

EZ Boardwalk Jr- $4000
EZ model 40-      $6900

Woodmizer LT10- $3275
Woodmizer LT15- $6895

I understand these mills are not equal, but they are similar.

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Ianab

Dunno, I'd think the Boardwalk Jr would be more comparable to the LT15. It's much more mill than an LT10, maybe in between?

The Boardwalk 40 is probably closer to a LT28? A little less power, but actually a bigger log capacity. Either way it's much more mill than a LT15.

Nothing wrong with any of the machines, but I think the EZ comes out ahead on amount of mill for your $$.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

hackberry jake

+1 on the ez boardwalk. I would go with the jr again in a heartbeat. I have only had 4 logs in two years that were out of its size capabilities. One I halved with a chainsaw and sawd the halves, one I had a chainsaw mill cut for me, and the other two I "bibbyed" with a chainsaw to get the carriage to pass. The boardwalk 40 will handle logs bigger than I want to turn by hand. It's a beast. I have heard very good things about the wm mills as well so which ever path you choose I'm sure you'll be in good hands.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Kingcha

What size blade is on the Jr. I see it is 1.25" but what lenght
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

WDH

Jake makes a good point.  Without hydraulics, you can't handle the really big logs anyway, so it does not matter as much.  The really big logs will about kill you and tear everything up. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DDobbs

Quote from: MotorSeven on December 05, 2012, 06:47:25 PM

Dave

EZ Boardwalk Jr- $4000
EZ model 40-      $6900

Woodmizer LT10- $3275
Woodmizer LT15- $6895

the WM has a 18hp on the $6895 the LT15 the EZ has 24hp for $6900 the trailer kit is $600 for the EZ so I was calling it $7500. The LT15go-g18 on sale is $9890 I belive it is a $800 upgrade to a 25hp that takes it to $10690 . So that is where I came up with them numbers
The Jr with the trailer kit is $4400 the  LT10 doesn't have a trailer kit that I have found.

Just keeping in the apple to apples as close as I can with the units. the axle does stay under the LT 15 go so there is a bit more cost there with all the jacks.
I built them on the WM web site this AM .but now the build button is no longer there
I am just going by the last sales flyer I got from them tonight.

Thanks
Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

beenthere

Quote from: DDobbs on December 05, 2012, 09:09:07 PM
Quote from: MotorSeven on December 05, 2012, 06:47:25 PM

Dave

EZ Boardwalk Jr- $4000
EZ model 40-      $6900

Woodmizer LT10- $3275
Woodmizer LT15- $6895

the WM has a 18hp on the $6895 the LT15 the EZ has 24hp for $6900 the trailer kit is $600 for the EZ so I was calling it $7500. The LT15go-g18 on sale is $9890 I belive it is a $800 upgrade to a 25hp that takes it to $10690 . So that is where I came up with them numbers
The Jr with the trailer kit is $4400 the  LT10 doesn't have a trailer kit that I have found.

Just keeping in the apple to apples as close as I can with the units. the axle does stay under the LT 15 go so there is a bit more cost there with all the jacks.
I built them on the WM web site this AM .but now the build button is no longer there
I am just going by the last sales flyer I got from them tonight.

Thanks
Dave

Dave
Couldn't tell where your post started, when it was within the quote brackets. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MotorSeven

Ok, Dave you didn't mention in the original post about a trailer & your right $2k for a trailer pkg is a lot. I didn't compare then mills option-wise, like I said, similar and not apples to apples. Don't get me wrong I am not knocking the Boardwalks, just trying to stimulate the synapses :)
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

MMann

DDobbs, I'm new to the scene as well, and went through the same delima as you are now.  In the end I went with the EZ 40.  It's not on the website, but Edward has a 27hp Honda GX690 that you can upgrade to for an additional $200.  I have only used mine once to saw a dead red oak, and it cut through it with ease.  Removing the axle when setting up is a little nerve racking, but once you get comfortable with the process, it's not a problem.  Very happy with mine.
EZ Boardwalk 40 w/ 27hp Honda GX690
1960 MF65 diesel w/ Davis 102 FEL
Husqvarna 562xp

hackberry jake

If you wanted to be more mobile then the lt15go would prolly take he cake. My mill is set up stationary and I love it that way. You can run a lot more options with grid tied power. But if it were up to me I would still get the jr and modify it to leave the axle under when sawing.... Course I'm a little partial.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

paul case

Yes, I have had a serveral very favorable experiences with EZ Boardwalk.

The model 40 I had was a 20 hp Honda and did everything I asked it to. I miss being able to saw 36'' wide slabs without doing much trimming. I bought it new and used it for more than 3 years, putting about 550 hours on the motor. It made me a living and cut out all the parts for my house as well. When I sold it I got right at 75% of my money back. Try doing that with a new pick up truck.

Both companies you are looking at have excellent service.

As for my experience with the PCM, ballast, auditory comprehension ( that was DonK's term), chicken, and bungee cords Iwill let the facts speak for themselves. I know there are pictures so they must have happened.  ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!