iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some family history

Started by lyle niemi, August 08, 2014, 07:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

I just found out a few weeks ago why the sawdust bug is deep in my veins.

I had got my hands on a little autobiography of my grandfathers life. He tells of his dad and his grandfather running a sawmill in Finland, they also milled grain. Their mill was run by a water wheel and I believe it was a blade that went up and down.

This would make me the 5th generation of sawmillers in my family and the way the world is going probably the last.

The autobiography was some really good reading!!!!

drobertson

Pretty good stories come from the past, and I agree, it does run in the family.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Way to go Lyle.....you'll have sleepless nights thinking about your history now. Keep digging for some old pics.
I'll wait.  popcorn_smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

lyle niemi

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 08, 2014, 08:04:29 PM
Way to go Lyle.....you'll have sleepless nights thinking about your history now. Keep digging for some old pics.
I'll wait.  popcorn_smiley
they day I read the story I had a heck of a time sleeping that's for sure, I am working on getting some more history and some old pics. I als found out what our real name was back in Finland, its Tytarniemi. If you google that name it will show a place along a river, that would of been the place of the mill and where my grandfather was brought up.

clww

Great post, Lyle. I look forward to more. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WmFritz

That's always exciting finding bits of family history, Lyle.
Especially interesting about your family name.

We have loads of Finlander's in our UP and they all have sauna's ( pronounced so nah).  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

mad murdock

Awesome!! Always good to discover yer roots.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Texas Ranger

Lyle, my family came in on PEI from Ireland, were loggers, miners, and Methodist preachers. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

captain_crunch

Guess me be newbe in Oregon Ancestors got here in 1852 Oregon was not a state till 1859
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

Lyle, take heart maybe you'll get a son in law that will continue. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!