iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bit of Family History

Started by Ianab, August 24, 2017, 04:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

My family tree..

And yes that's Jesse James... The real Jesse James.

Also on my moms side we are related to Thomas Woodrow Wilson.
Sorry but we don't have any family picture of him. Sure wish I did.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

That's neat. Woodrow Wilson's wife, Elizabeth Bolling Wilson, came from the nearby town of Wytheville. That town is named for George Wythe, Thomas Jefferson's mentor.

Ianab, funny thing is, with your extensive knowledge of our wood rules and regs I had assumed you were an expat from here  :D. What cool family stories.

Magicman

I looked up my family tree and all that I saw was roots. :o 

Actually I do have the written Davis history that goes back to David David (or in Welsh, David Lp leuan).  His Son Morgan David, or Morgan Davis as he called himself in America, immigrated to America (near Philadelphia) in the mid 1600's.  Some members of his family retained the David name while others chose to use Davis or Davies.  Morgan's son Evan produced six children.  I descended from Benjamin who was the oldest.  Jefferson Davis descended from Evan Jr. who was the youngest, so Jefferson was a cousin of some degree to my side of the family.

As information; Only one child of Jefferson Davis produced a grandchild, that being his daughter Margaret Howell Davis Hayes.  The other five of his children all died without leaving an heir.

Jefferson Addison Hayes-Davis, Margaret and Joel's oldest son, married Doree Dewitt. Jefferson had his name legally changed to Hayes-Davis so that the Davis name could continue.They had two children, Addison Hayes-Davis and Adele Hayes-Davis.

I read that only four of Jefferson Davis' grandchildren survived to marry and have children. Thus, descendants of Jefferson Davis are a rare commodity.  Except for the legal name change, (Davis Hayes to Hayes-Davis) there are no Davis descendants from Jefferson Davis

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

My mom has done some extensive genealogy research on both her side of the family and my dad's side. Lots of big families make me related to lots of people.

Genealogy always makes me think of a "spaceballs"  quote:
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Lone Star: So what does that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sawguy21

I'm jealous Lynn :D According to Ancestry I have 447 4th cousins or closer on their site and not one is illustrious.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

btulloh

Interesting tales. Plus it's the first time I've ever seen someone quote a character from Spaceballs.
HM126

florida

After my Mom died my sisters were going through the house sorting stuff. They sent me a box of VHS tapes and some books.   Over the next few weeks, I looked at them to see what was on them and most were videos of my kids that I had sent to my parents so they could see the kids growing up. One video was taken at a gathering of my Dads brothers and sisters that was of no interest but at the end of that video was a sepia colored, obviously very old recording, that I didn't understand. I watched it over and over and finally realized it was transferred from old home movie film that my paternal grandfather had filmed in the 1930's. In it was a clip of a bearded old man driving a cow down a hill that I realized could only be my great grandfather who died before I was born. I still look at it from time to time and am still amazed. It really is like time travel to me.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

grouch

florida:

You might want to capture that VHS segment to a digital format. Ones and zeros don't change over time; magnetic coatings do change.
Find something to do that interests you.

Thank You Sponsors!