iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unknown part on a Caterpillar skidder

Started by Don K, January 13, 2006, 08:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

Hey guys,  maybe you can help me help a friend. He has a 91-93 Cat 518 skidder that has a part leaking antifreeze and is quite stumped as to what it is. I mentioned to him that I might be able to post on the Forum and somebody might be able to help.

He said the part looks like some type of cooler and is mounted on the side of the engine right next to where you put in the engine oil. It has a hole in it about the size of your pinkie and also a small plug that screws out. He says it doesn't look like a pump but he is not sure. This thing just recently started leaking and will drain the coolant overnight.  It has no hoses or metal piping attached to it. Can someone shed some light on this..    Thanks ahead. :)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

getoverit

I have no clue. I did manage to find out that that skidder has the Cat 3304 engine in it though. Here is a couple of pics of those engines. Can you spot the part you are talking about?

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Don K

Best we can tell the part is located in the bottom picture at the 1 o'clock postion in relation to the fan pulley. It is facing forward and seems to have 4 bolts and also has a bump on it that could be a bearing hub for an internal bearing.  Also do you know the HP for this engine as he does not know. Also if anyone can help, the brakes are air assisted and the compressor is located next to the oil filter in the bottom picture. It shows the shaft sticking out. Routine maintenance calls for bleeding the air tanks and he can not find them.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

getoverit

I still dont know what it is, but my best guess would be either a water pump or a cooler for the turbocharger. Here are the spec's on the engine though:

85 HP G3304NA Caterpillar Engine

Rated 85 HP @ 1800 RPM ; Altronic 3 Ignition ; Complete with Air Cleaner Assm. ; Cat Mechanical Governor
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

rebocardo

Pictures would be nice, but, to me is sounds like a coolant filter, which is a requirement on the newer diesels, in general.

Just_Log_It

That is the water pump that you are talking about.  It's leaking.   If you could get me serial numbers (machine & engine), I could probably get you the CAT part number for a new water pump.  I believe you can ever order a "rebuild kit" if you want to go that route.

scsmith42

I just finished rebuilding the water pump on my Cat D8.  You'll need a press and some pullers to rebuild it yourself, but if you or your friend have experience in pressing bearing on/off you should be able to handle it.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don K

Thanks for theinfo fellas. I passed it on to my friend and he was surprised by this forum. He didn't know about places like this. ;D. He plans on contacting our local cat dealer today when he gets up as we are working off midnight shift. I might need to go help him with it so he can get it back in operation pretty quick as he is going to drag me about 20 good pine logs out so I can start sawing out my woodworking shop. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!