iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plunge bow chain saws

Started by tractordad, September 25, 2015, 07:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tractordad

I have purchased a large christmas tree nursery in CT and plan to havrvest a few thousand trees soon.  I see many havevesters using plunge bow saws as seen in this video (6:00 minutes in) Not realy what I want to use for an example but could find no others.  Any ideas as to how to aquire a few?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb_QX6AKM_I

thanks

deerslayer

Never heard of a "plunge bow" and can't watch video where I am. could you describe it?
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

beenthere

It is a bowbar chainsaw, that is used by plunging toward the wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

deerslayer

Ok, I do know what those are. There are two common styles of bows, the narrower tipped "clearing bow" and the wider, more common bow often used in pulp wood operations (in the past)

I thought maybe a "plunge bow" was yet another type I wasn't familiar with. I can see where a bow saw would be handy for felling Christmas trees.

I had about 70,000 scotch pines at one time but only cut a few dozen of them. They had gone bad due to neglect before i purchased the property. Now it's more of a pine forest.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

4x4American

From what I understand about them they're more common in Dixieland.  So I would check around on adhuntr in the southeastern section.  adhunter searches CL.  But make sure you go into advanced search settings and have it so it displays the most recent posts, otherwise they're often expired.
Boy, back in my day..

deerslayer

Picked up a bow bar today at an estate sale. It was marked $20 but I looked it over and it appears to be in decent shape. The thing that encouraged me to purchase it was that it had all the guards. Those are frequently missing. I am guessing it's off a Poulan 3400 or similar. (Poulan green)

Texas Ranger

I have a bow for a McCulloghe Pro-Mac, some where.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!