iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie cant keep blades sharp

Started by 61ford, February 08, 2019, 08:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Are you talking about the set in the teeth?  On woodmizer blades you get one tooth bent up and one straight and one bent down etc.  That is called set.  It creates a kerf wider than the blade.  If you didn't have that, the blade would not pass through the wood.  Same goes for any hand saw.  If you don't have proper set, that is if the teeth get bent back towards the middle, it won't cut right.  It's often hard to see changes in set as they can be subtle or only in one part of the band.  This can cause diving, and/or just not cut well.  Same goes if the tips of those teeth get dull, or some of them do and aren't cutting correctly. It can dive or just not cut well.  Remember if your band doesn't want to cut, don't force it.  That can just lead to a dive etc.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

61ford

I'll give you an update for whatever reason it seemed to be the cooks blades. I ordered some from timberwood and they actually sell you blades based on what your cutting. They do run less tension and so far does seem to be better

PA_Walnut

I wonder if your set was off, from the manufacturer. I have discovered this to be the case with mine at times.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

moodnacreek

And people ask, why are you still using a circle saw?

OffGrid973

How many 12" logs are we taking before a brand new blade becomes dull?   If cut the first pass and then put a level on the log does it show a wavy pattern or level?  This can tell you if something on the saw is off before you worry about blades being the root cause.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

PA_Walnut

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 17, 2019, 08:31:20 AMAnd people ask, why are you still using a circle saw?

When we hit metal, and have to replace a blade, it's about $25.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

mitchrm

Could the wood have sand grown into them? Is it possible the trees grew along an old farm field or beach where sand could blow into the bark and after the time the tree grew around the sand? Something i found interesting before i was even interested in milling logs was two islands in lake michigan. The islands are called North and south manitou island. They are part of the sleeping bear dune national forest. On the shores of these island I believe there are virgin forest cedar trees that have never been cut. Old growth i guess you would call them. I was going to explain why but a picture speaks a thousand word.   okay maybe about 103 words.

Thank You Sponsors!