iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

home made rollers

Started by lyle niemi, April 17, 2012, 09:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

Started to make some heavy duty rollers for the mill. I used some rollers bearings that cost 4 bucks a piece, some washers that were under a buck and some old pipe I had kicking around. Im thinking that should be a pretty cheap roller???? I have never bought any before.

Bill Gaiche

That should work just fine. bg

j rock

I have a chair just like that :D HO- that roller looks like It work just fine.    .J
whats fun? making saw dust!!

Larry

Right here.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.msg247857.html#msg247857

I've since made some by slicing off pieces of 2" bar and drilling for the axle. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bandmiller2

Lyle,they make flanged ball bearings just for that use,not sure if they would fit your pipe.Sometimes rollers with bushings work well,ball bearings move too easy and stuff runs away from you,bushings easy to push but will stay put. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

Nicely done for home grown stuff .FWIW they do make regular track roller industrial bearings for different sized tubing .You won't however find them for 4 bucks a pop ,pricey .

Bushing work fine for something that moves slow .They aren't worth a pinch of coon poop  if it has any speed to it .Besides that you'd have a fortune in carving out brass bushing that size .

Now depending on the application you can find say 1" ID flanged brass for about 4-5 a pop from McMaster Carr .But you'd have to mount them in a piece of round stock in an application such as a roller bushing .They will take more impact than a sealed ball bearing but you'd have days and days just fabricating them and wheelbarrows full of lathe chips in the process .

bandmiller2

What I'am trying to say is sometimes you don't want boards that need edging to roll off too easy you want to hold them to put back on the carriage.You could do that with a removable stick a little higher than the roller.Or rollers with a little drag. Frank C.

lyle niemi

Now I hope you dont laugh but Im useing old skidoo boggies to work with the home made rollers for the conveyor belt to ride on 8)

Al_Smith

As long as they work it doesn't make any difference of what they are made of .Shucks you could use wringers out of old washing machines if you could find enough of them .

My only comment being if you wanted power rollers you might think about making them larger in diameter to gain more "purchase " on the belting .

What the hey you're doing just fine .Fact you keep it up you could easily win the junk yard dawg of the year award .  ;)

bandmiller2

Lyle,not to worry alls fair game.I didn't realize it will be a power belt not just a roller table,in that case you need antifriction bearings that will last.I have used the rollers off reel type lawn mowers but there hard to find now.Old sand and gravel pit machinery is a honey hole for rollers and belt. Frank C.

Jemclimber

Very nice Lyle, what are you using/where did you find the belt?  BTW, I love junk yard recycling/engineering.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!