iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Main Power conduit LT40

Started by Chuck White, April 20, 2014, 09:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Anyone ever change the conduit that houses the wires from the control head up into the sawhead?

Looks like I need to, mines cracked in a couple of places and broken in another!

Anyone got any tips on doing this job?

Thanks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

Tip #1:  Disconnect the battery. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

The previous owner of my mill didn't put the fenders on prior to transport and the tire wore quite a gouge in the conduit.Fortunately no wires were damaged.It was just taped and seems okay.My mill stays at home under cover so moisture is not a problem.2 years ago Bob the WM service tech took a look at it and said it wasn't too bad a job to change it out.If a good brand of tape doesn't appeal to you I'm sure you could tackle it.You seem more than capable.I would want to be in a good mood before I started and not have too many distractions.
Good luck,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ga Mtn Man

Tip #2:  See previous post.

Tip #3:  Take pictures of everything before you take it apart.

Tip #4:  Number each wire and make a diagram of where it goes (or use the WM schematic)

Tip #5:  It helps to have a helper at the other end of the conduit feeding the wire in as you pull.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

Figured right from the start that I should tag each wire end, and where it's supposed to be attached!

Did a temporary fix where the conduit is broken at the top end, just about an inch from where the conduit is clamped into the angle bracket!

I took about 5 inches of 1½ inch black plastic pipe and split it lengthways and then put it over top of the conduit and slid it up to the end, so that the break was inside the black plastic and removed the clamps, then reclamped over the 1½ inch bp.  Seems to be a real good temporary fix, we'll see how long it lasts.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Chuck White on April 21, 2014, 09:16:11 AM
Figured right from the start that I should tag each wire end, and where it's supposed to be attached!

Hey, you asked for tips.  Didn't say anything about them being good tips or not ones you already know. ;D

Chuck White

I guess, mainly I was just wondering if anyone had done the job and about how long it took, start to finish!

But, yah, all tips & suggestions are good too!

backwoods sawyer

The conduit tore loose on the lower end of mine. Took a good long look and decided on wrapping it with a roll of 3" wide rubber tape to secure and give flex, then a roll weather proof tape. That was six years of steady use ago.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

isawlogs

Mine broke in the winter of '94, exactly at same place yours did, Woodmizer sent me a new cord for it and asked that I send the old one back when replaced..... I put in the same plastic pipe as you did and its still there, I still have the new cord in the stock box. So... the plastic fix is as good as it gets.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

barbender

Something else that would work for temporary/permanent (permarary  ??? ::)) is hydraulic hose wrap, the plastic spiral kind.
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

Thanks guys, I guess it's just going to be repair vs replace!

Thanks for the input!

MartyParsons

Hello,
I replace this quite frequently. I have the tube in stock. I will post the part # tomorrow. I can also send you a wiring diagram if you don't have one. The wires are all color coded or numbered or both. I would still mark them if I was you. Take the wires out of the control panel that is the easiest way. Clean any wires that are dirty , frayed or other wise bad. Spray inside of tube with a little WD40 and you should have no issues. It makes the mill look much better than duct tape or other repairs. If the customer has a early style debarker and has the wires on the outside of the tube it will now be a good time to put them inside.
I hope this helps!
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chuck White

MartyParsons

Hello Part # R01627   @ $2.55 per foot. Measure your existing conduit. I have 14 ' in stock. I think it is enough to do two mills. So for less than $ 20.00 and a few hours of labor you can have a new looking mill.  :)
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!