iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Couple of Lt40HD questions.

Started by Hale87, April 20, 2014, 04:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

Wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger on a "new to me" mill, but when I found this one on craigslist for 12,000, its was time to get creative. I planned on buying a new LT35HD, but I think I'll be more than happy with this one. It's a 2002 with 2350 hours on it. Drove 450 miles to go get it, but I think it will be worth it. The guy said his phone rang of the hook from interested buyers. No doubt, because everything in it's class on the net was priced a few grand more. That's why I was looking at new until this one popped up.

Couple of questions though.

I didn't get any blades except for the one that is on it, so I'm wondering if it would be better to start running .055 1 1/2"s? It has the smaller rollers on it, but the way I read the manual, you can get away with not purchasing the bigger ones?? I know the difference that it made on my Hudson when I went from .035 to .042s. The added thickness was very helpful without a doubt. If it's worth it though, I'll go ahead and switch the rollers out.

The only thing I can find wrong with this mill is the blade guide arm doesn't work properly. The top right wheel doesn't spin when you turn the motor on. The chain goes around and drives the front one, but the back one does nothing. So my guess is that the roller needs replaced??

Thanks a lot for your help.

2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

kczbest

I can't help you with your question, but Congratulations on your new mill! 8) 8) 8)
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

MartyParsons

Hello,
Looks like a 25 hp ( 23.5) The most common blade would be the .045 9 degree. Blade width would be best at 1 .25".
The gear on the pulley is loose. Guessing. Take a look and see if the gear is spinning and the wheel is not. The gear can be set , take a punch and drive the gear back on there is holes around the gear where you should set the ring back on.
Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chuck White

I agree on the blades, with Marty, go with the .045 x 1¼. 

I've found the 10° is a good all-round blade.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Congrats on the sawmill.  Adding your location and your sawmill to your profile will help with answering any questions that you might have.  Thanks. ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I ran .045"x1.25" 10° on the 24HP WM I used to run, and they worked well. You will need to do a thorough inspection of the guide arm to make sure it is in alignment. In fact, I would fix that gear issue, and then do a complete alignment per the manual. This will help you as a sawyer to understand your mill. It also looks like the engine is listing to the left a little. Has the drive belt come off, or perhaps the brake band is not adjusted properly. Congrats on the new mill, I can see why his phone was ringing off the hook. For that price, I would have bought it to make a hydraulic bed extension out of it. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

uler3161

You got a pretty good deal on that  mill.

I guess I'm in the minority, but my vote would be for .045 1 1/2" blades. That's what we're running and we run the small rollers and 25hp gas engine. But if you're not really pushing for top production, the 1 1/4 should be fine.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Ga Mtn Man

Wow, that mill looks almost as good as my 16 month-old mill.  I'd say you did very well for yourself.  Congratulations on the great find! 8)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hale that looks like a nice  mill.

In your second pic, showing the cover that hides the chain and wheels that move the blade guide arm........
this is the only cover I do not keep on my mill. This allows me to take a wire brush and keep the wheels clean through out the day.

Note: I do not recommend taking off and leaving off ANY safety covers Woodmizers installs. This is the only one I leave off and I am the only one in the area of this moving part at anytime. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Hale87

Thanks for the input, guys. I haven't put a log on it yet, so I'm chompin at the bit to get started.
It sort of makes the old Hudson seem like a toy. lol
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

customsawyer

Congrats on the new to you mill. Be sure and call WM and get the mill registered in your name. They will also be able to help you with any of your problems. Don't be afraid to read the manual especially on alignment it will help you in the future.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GDinMaine

There is a roll-pin that holds that little gear in place.  It was broken on my mill when I bought it.  Replaced it with new, proper size pin and back in business. Great looking mill you have there, congrats.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

OneWithWood

I would second the .045x 1-1/2 blades.  The .055 are good blades but you really do not have the horses to run them efficiently.  If you do decide to go with .055 be sure to reset your blade guides for the thicker blade.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Hale87 on April 20, 2014, 07:13:50 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. I haven't put a log on it yet, so I'm chompin at the bit to get started.
It sort of makes the old Hudson seem like a toy. lol

Wait til you get a 3-4 thousand pound log on there and turn it with the flick of a lever, you'll be down right giddy!  :)

The only major problem I see is the debarker...... You really don't want that....... I'd be more than happy to come over and remove it for you. ;D

Congrats!

Thank You Sponsors!