iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a Steal on a Stihl at a Yard Sale!

Started by Chefblair, October 08, 2018, 05:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefblair

I picked up a Stih 028 WB for $5. The sign said needs work but the compression was good, and for that price even if it wasn't I would have bought it. overall fair condition 

I got it to turn over with starter fluid but wouldn't catch because the Tilloston HU 40 carb that wouldn't draw fuel. Upon inspection the  both fuel pump and metering diaphragms were brittle and dry. I ordered a rebuild kit, new fuel hose and filter, spark plug and air filter, fuel and oil caps as they were rough and possibly leaking. 

What else would you recommend replacing to make it a total tune up?

Oil Line and filter?
Impulse line or boot? (what are they for anyway?) 

Also should i replace with anti kickback bar?

Thanks!  

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum!!! You got a good buy for a parts saw let alone a runner. Oil lines don't normally give a lot of problems, replace the filter if the oil looks suspect. Replace the impulse line, if it is cracked the fuel pump won't work. The boot is important, it should be supple with no cracks or holes. If it leaks the saw will run lean and no amount of adjustment will cure a bad idle.
What do you mean by an anti kickback bar? If you are looking for one with a nose guard those things are more trouble than they are worth. Stihl 'green' or low kickback chain would be worthwhile if you are not an experienced operator.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chefblair

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I will check the impulse boot and line for sure. What I was referring to was the chain break bar that is on my formally working saw. Good advice on bar and chain as I am a weekend user but have a few years of trimming and felling under my belt. 

I have discovered my love of small engine repair and this forum is a good resource along with the many YouTube videos I have watched. I particularly like Steve's Small Engine Repair Videos. 

Click here to see him analyzing piston damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6BfSwtjTIQ

Thanks again for the welcome and advice. 

sawguy21

A later version would have been available with the chain brake, it is a very good idea if you can find one.

thecfarm

Chefblair,welcome to the forum.
It's worth that to hang it from the rafters.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Good deal .I've picked up a lot of two cycle stuff that way with just a funky carb .Usually the rebuild kits are less than 10 bucks.
Recently I resurrected an older Echo that a dealer tried to convince the owner it was a points ignition that parts were no longer available .Spoke with forked tongue,it had spark .After a carb rebuild it ran as good as the day he bought it ,maybe better .10 bucks for parts,12 pack of Bud Light  for my troubles .Sometimes I work cheap . :)

sawguy21

I got most of my saws for free because they wouldn't start and the owners didn't want to mess with them. Picked up an Echo trimmer at a yard sale for five bucks, carb kit got it running like new. There is a lot of treasure out there if we care to look.

Thank You Sponsors!