iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Oak Stair Treads?

Started by DR Buck, November 24, 2005, 09:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

If I'm going to saw red oak into stair treads, what thickness do I saw them at?   What is the standard size (thickness and depth) for finished stair treads, after planing and sanding?  I assume it makes sense to used quarter saw'n lumber if possible for for one piece solid treads instead of the edge glued stuff the 'home' stores sell.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Fla._Deadheader

Flat sawn would look nice, Q'sawn is also used. If the saw cuts nice and flat, cut them 5/4. Plane to a full 1". That's the Market down here.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Larry

Just measured finished dimensions of our treads.  I bought them from a stair company and remember they were pretty much standard size...nothing special.  Thickness is 1".  Can't remember the depth...had to rip off an 1" or so when I got em to make the right run for the risers.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

D Martin

Arent' stair treads usually two or three pieces glued together with growth rings alternated to controll warpage? I have some 5/4 red oak i'd like to do the same thing with, been waiting till its real dry. checked it this summer its at about 10% mc.

jpad_mi

I checked a couple of the better Michigan lumber outlets that have websites and they were selling treads of 1 or 1 1/16 thickness, 10.5 or 11.5 width, and 36, 42 or 48 length.
Jeff P. in Michigan

DonE911

I'm assuming we are talking about interior stairs.....  all the exterior stairs I have even seen have been at least 5/4....  I cut some red oak stairs for a barn about 6 months ago and the fella wanted 8/4 by 12 by 48" ..... said they were going ot be used as exterior stairs to the loft of the barn.   I never did go look at the barn... wonder how it turned out?

iain

DR
If its your stairs, and for your house, and your going to be trenching the stringers
then you decide what you want, and how it will look 8)

i assume that there is a nominal rule where you are about the rise and go

iain

Furby

Are you going to have a sub floor under them?

DR Buck

QuoteIf its your stairs, and for your house, and your going to be trenching the stringers

Nope, not for my house.

QuoteAre you going to have a sub floor under them?

Don't know about any sub floor either.

I'm just thinking about a possible product to market.   After I saw what the suppliers are getting for stair treads and all the building going on around here I figure there is a buck or two to be made.   I think I'll make up a couple dozen blanks, plane them and route a bull nose on one edge then place an add in the local paper and test the water.     

Who knows?  ....there could be $$ in those boards I have stacked out back.

got to finish the kiln first though[/i]       ::)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!