iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Havesting pine trees

Started by sandman2234, May 26, 2019, 11:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2234

I have a large pine tree in my back yard. It was too big for the machine that they had when I cut all the pines off my property due to wood borers. Because it is within reach of my house, wife wants it gone. So top it, and bring it down in a few sections. My mother in law has about a dozen or so in her yard, and wants them gone for the same reason. She would like to have a couple dollars for them if possible, but definiely is not paying to have them cut. 
  I was wondering if there is anyone in the Jacksonville, Florida area that wants to cut some pines and saw them into lumber. Large basically straight pines, will make a lot of lumber. The pines will make   alot of lumber.
  David from jax

Okefenokee_D

Quote from: sandman2234 on May 26, 2019, 11:27:21 PM
I have a large pine tree in my back yard. It was too big for the machine that they had when I cut all the pines off my property due to wood borers. Because it is within reach of my house, wife wants it gone. So top it, and bring it down in a few sections. My mother in law has about a dozen or so in her yard, and wants them gone for the same reason. She would like to have a couple dollars for them if possible, but definiely is not paying to have them cut.
  I was wondering if there is anyone in the Jacksonville, Florida area that wants to cut some pines and saw them into lumber. Large basically straight pines, will make a lot of lumber. The pines will make   alot of lumber.
  David from jax

I can tell you that loggers around here wont come for small acreage.

The only way she MAY could get money is if the logger is cutting on someone near by.

If not, she is basically going to have to give it away.

And you know most people are skiddish if any tall pines are near homes. They better have a good insurance policy

WDH

She is going to be sorely disappointed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

I would suggest you look up the video "Highly valuable black walnut" it explains the scenario you have outlined here. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mfrost459

We pick up a lot of trees and saw them into lumber, but we could never afford to cut them down for free. Arborist have a large amount invested in tools, equipment and insurance is costly. The cost to remove a tree is much more than what the arborist will receive for the tree after it is cut down. Here in Georgia pine is $28 to $32 per ton.
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

sandman2234

So...if I put them on the ground, haul off all the limbs, do you think anyone would give her the time of day for them?
   I saw the Valuable Walnut trees, especially eyed that rake in one, as it might just have been that rake I lost a few years back.
   Since the lot was cleared to build a house, none of the pines have been nailed into, but before that...I can't attest that there weren't any kids building tree houses in the nearby woods...
   David from jax

Nomad

David, my gut read is probably not.  I have a client who built most of his home and all of his out buildings from free pine.  They were all trees delivered by tree companies for free.  Delivered.  I cut all of them.  Mostly they were prime logs, too.  Saved the tree companies the labor to cut 'em up and the tippage fees too.  Free logs aren't free.  The person has to pay to have them hauled, etc.  That costs money.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!