iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what you think is a better saw husky 346xp or stihl ms 260 pro

Started by 567paloggger, January 16, 2010, 05:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

567paloggger

guys what do you think is a better saw the 346xp or the 260 pro almost the same saw but the 346 i believe is a little lighter whats your opinion on them

Rocky_J

Not even close, the 346 by a mile. The 346 is the best in class and the 260 is probably Stihl's worst pro model saw as far as power to weight. The 260 was ok 10-15 years ago but it is an old and tired model that can't hold a candle to the current top 50cc saws.

The last Stihl 260 I owned was one of their infamous fixed jet models where they decided that users no longer needed to be able to tune the carbs. That move ended up with my 260 getting flung from a tree at about 40' and I went many years without ever touching another Stihl because of that piece of junk. Thankfully Stihl gave up on that awful tactic on the pro saw models and went back to adjustable carbs (after you trim the limiter caps).

Cut4fun

The 260 is lighter, but the NE 50cc 346xp is light years ahead in the cut.

ladylake

Seems like on the ither forum at the GTG  the MS260 was about 1 second behind the 346xp and the Dolmar 5100 in a 10 second cut and almost 1# lighter. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

des170stihl

I,m kind of partial to the STIHL stuff since I own a 260. I,ve lost a lot of faith in the Husky co. since they sold out to the Vacuum Cleaner Co. called Electrolux Co. I guess they both would work allright when they are brand new. But which one will be worth more when they are 5 years old ???? 
STIHL MS170* STIHL MS260 Pro* STIHL MS 230* ECHO CS 341* Husky 339 XP * Wallenstein 20 Ton Splitter* Massey Ferguson 1528 w/Grapple ( Skidder Wanna Be ).

windthrown

First off, which 346xp are you talking about? There are two of them. One is 45cc, the ther is 50cc. I do not know why Husky has multiple saw engine sizes with the same model numbers (not just the 346). Stihl has a slightly larger P&C on their later model 260; a 44.7 mm (new) vs. 44.0 mm (old), but the the 026 and 260 are all 50cc class saws. The Husky has more plastic, the Stihl has older technogy. The Husky also has an outboard clutch. I hate outboard clutches. I can flip from an 8 pin .325 rim to a 7 pin 3/8 rim on my 026s in about a half a minute. Also the new 346 has a cat in the muffler for EPA. Stihl is changing the 260 into a 261, but it will be one of the last saws they convert to 2010 requirements. The 260 is still around becasue it is one of the most popular saws that they have. Stihl planned on phasing it out years ago, but high volume sales kept them from scrapping them (the 270 was developed to replace it, but it is heavier and never caught on, similar to the 280). 

Personally I love my 026s. I have 4 of them. If you want to toss them from trees, toss them my way. These are great little saws. They take a muffler mod well, and they are really easy to port and get a whopping gain in power. If you are going to run *ANY* saw with a fixed H jet carb? Well, you are going to have a POS saw, regardless of brand. You cannot run them richer so you cannot tune them properly or modify them. $35 will get you a brand new Walbro WT-194 with fully adjustible H&L jets. That is the best carb to run on an 026 or a 260. But do not blame a good saw (or a complete brand) becasue one had a fixed jet carb!

I ran a woods ported 50cc 346xp last summer and that thing screamed. It got me into woods porting my 026s and bringing out the real power in them.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

cb6048

when hell freezes over I'll snowmobile there too

567paloggger

i have a 346xp 46cc saw idk how the new ones are since they changed them just was wondering how the 260 pro compaired to the husky since im in the process of converting over to stihl when the huskys fully die then ill replace them with stihls

windthrown

Well, you had better replace your saws soon, as Stihl is phasing out all their line of saws with the new strato-version engines now. The 260 will be one of the last saws converted to the 261 but converted they will be. Probably by the end of 2010. Stihl has already dropped the 260 non-PRO version. They are just as professional as the PRO version though. Only diff is the adjustible oiler, and the decomp button on the PRO model. The non-PRO model oils a 20 inch bar just fine, and the decomp is not needed on a small saw like this one (especially if you drop start your saws). A light frame woman like my ex might want/need the decomp button on the 260 though. The 261 will be heavier... and have a strato (air injected) engine as well as a bolt on air filter cover and centrifugal (Husky style) air cleaner. They will also be more expensive than the 260 is now. 

jumpinmp

If it was my money, I would go with the 346xp.  I have a 2 old fart loggers as customers that run a 24" bar with 3/8 chain on their 346xp (not that I would recommend that...).  They let the younger guys carry around the "heavy saws".   :D

STIHLFULLSKIP

the 260pro my be an old design,but it is a good one.  it is lighter than the husky,and w/a 5min. muff. mod it will run with it too. a 260 will last you 20+ yrs. if cared for. a husky running @ 14,700 will be dead in 4 or 5yrs. they are heavier,they have a 1970's tiny,outboard clutch,and the quality of huskys' plastic is horrible. who is gonna notice a second or two in a cut. i run a 260pro,MM,.325/16" full comp,w/8pin driver, and it will run with and comparable 346.  i am not trying to start a bash fest here,just stating my opinion. the 261 will be available here in late may,it will be 1lb. heavier,it will have 3.8hp,it will be strato,and it will be expensive.

Al_Smith

I won't pick sides but will point out something regarding these two saws .

There is a thread going as I type on two different forums featuring the 346 Husky which is getting reworked . If you know anything about engines designs and saw how that model is ported it becomes plain as day why they run so good .

The thing has very large double tunneled transfers which in itself is superior  to the single tunnel design of Stihl with regards to moving air . With no windows in the piston ,it's a bottom feed stuffer which kind of raises the pressure just a tad bit  on the transfer cycle . It's a well thought out design,I like it .

Eventually I'll run across one fairly cheap and own one myself to be converted into a 3 cubic inch cookie cutter . Heaven only knows I don't need anymore larger saws . :D

peppone

346xp. ms 260 is not so good, probably one of the worst professional saws by stihl. anyway ther's another 50cc I consider better than 346xp: dolmar ps5000. from my point of wiev it's the best 50cc chainsaw...

saluti
peppone
you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

windthrown

I have four 026s, and the newest one is 6 years old (and it has a new 260 engine in it). The oldest is over 20 years old. They run and run and run. Thye are fun saws to run too. Nice and light and nimble. I would not rate it the worst Stihl saw by far. The worst pro Stihl saw? Maybe, but its the cheapest, the smallest, and the one with the most plastic of the Stihl pro line.

I dunno about the Dolmar 5100s. I was not impressed. 346xp impressed me the most of the three when we ran them at a GTG last year. Then there was this fully ported 346xp. That thing SCREAMED! Had almost the same power of a stock 361. If it were not for that outboard clutch, I would own one now. I hate outboard clutches. To the point that I got rid of all my saws with outie clutches.

Rocky_J

The outboard clutch is only a big deal if you constantly throw chains.  ;D

I dumped my last 026 Pro for a 346 with the outboard clutch in order to escape the outrageous proprietary parts costs and the horrendous fixed jet carbs they were using at the time. Stihl finally got smart and gave up the fixed jet carbs but by then it was too late for me. I was unwilling to go back to a saw with the same weight, higher cost and half the power. My oldest 346 is now about 8 years old and is still my 'go to' limbing and smaller bucking saw.

SawTroll

Quote from: peppone on April 11, 2010, 06:02:07 PM
346xp. ms 260 is not so good, probably one of the worst professional saws by stihl. anyway ther's another 50cc I consider better than 346xp: dolmar ps5000. from my point of wiev it's the best 50cc chainsaw...

saluti
peppone

LOL - for handling in the woods the PS5000 feels like a brick compared to a sabre (346xp)..... :D :D :)

My 5100S was "demoted" to yard use/bucking only several years ago, after comparing them in the woods.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: 567paloggger on January 16, 2010, 05:13:52 PM
guys what do you think is a better saw the 346xp or the 260 pro almost the same saw but the 346 i believe is a little lighter whats your opinion on them

I don't understand that people still ask this question - the debate really was over a long time ago.  ;)

The original 346xp was out in 1999, and the debate really was over a few years after that - later the gap between the two models have opened up considerably........ 8) 8)
Information collector.

Rocky_J

I'm not big into saw racing, more into work production, but here's a little saw p0rn with an old style 346.  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ykMzW2IFg

downeast

A story from the trenches.....a dreaded "homeowner". (Why so-called "pros" need to throw this out is beyond us. :o)

Been harvesting, cutting, scrounching, clearing for firewood and enjoyment for years before retiring on this 60a woodlot here. Mostly using a Husky 137 for climbing, a Stihl 028 and a Stihl 044 for ground work and felling. With age and past injuries ( mil and sports from former- repeat, former-- brainless macho days) , I needed a smaller, lighter saw. After a close call with the 044 in brush and no protection yielding only 8 stitches above the patella ( note to fellow dumbos: don't cut without PPE, Forest Gump time ) it was time to learn how to use the most dangerous tool made correctly: to cut efficient, safe, fast. I took both the CLP and Game of Logging programs. Incredible learning experience, better than grad school or AIT or Camp Elgin or having kids.

Which saw ? It had to reliable, torguey, familiar, carb adjustable.....and light. Many users of the 346XP said they loved it....cured baldness it was and is said. BUTT: reports of reliability and "fussiness" in the cut were concerns. Tools for filter cleaning and caps were another downside. One local logger using it for limbing said that he had to replace it every year. Others, "pros" BTW, liked the MS 260/026 for light use for them.....it ran and ran for years without problems. For us, what's a second in comp cutting anyhow ?

Choice was the MS260 that is now the go-to saw for everything. Even used a 20" bar on it for some oak noodling; not so hot, it bogs when buried --expected. For the past 7 years the 260 has performed. Work: T.S.I., plenty of softwood blowdowns, 6-8 cords of firewood, pulp when the market is up. NO problems other than B&C replacements 1x-2x/year, sprockets, filters, plugs. All the harvesting is done in out winter only. Starts when cold, when hot, in snow, in mud. And those wondous "flippy caps"--use 'em correctly, never a problem. Can be used with mittens (no concern for you in the banana belt. Everywhere is south of here.) I have yet to read or hear about a 346XP used hard for more than a few years. Users speak up ?

Old design, sure. Sexy, no. I don't want that in the woodlands here. I got old reliable. Too bad Stihl is RIFing it.  :(

Rocky_J

I posted it in another thread here, but my very first 346 is now 8 years old and still running strong. It was ported when new, before I even took delivery, and was strong enough to snap a couple clutch springs in the first three years of use due to the abundant torque. Here's a couple short videos I took about a month ago. Remember, this saw has been used commercially for 8 years, not just on weekends but all week long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCTUqAOd634
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gacT09X92oQ

downeast

Quote from: Rocky_J on April 15, 2010, 09:17:13 AM
I posted it in another thread here, but my very first 346 is now 8 years old and still running strong. It was ported when new, before I even took delivery, and was strong enough to snap a couple clutch springs in the first three years of use due to the abundant torque. Here's a couple short videos I took about a month ago. Remember, this saw has been used commercially for 8 years, not just on weekends but all week long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCTUqAOd634
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gacT09X92oQ

Nice to hear Rocky. Butt, too many pro ( whew  ;D) users here report otherwise. I've got 3 pro (whew ;D ) arborists and a logger that simply get a new 346XP every year---professional priviledge. Read carefully: my MS260 is used hard all winters---6 (six) so far. This "homeowner" does some "commercial" ( whew  ;D ) cutting e.g. pulp. The TSI, firewood, blowdown clearing, pulp is often done Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, weather adjusted. Weekends are for drinking, playing, @%$#&%*.......still.

And how about that Stihl no tool filter ? Or, those better-than-silicone no tool oil and fuel caps ? Wouldn't go home without them. Wait one second, I am home, I'm a "homeowner". ;D

Hey, how's your Workers Comp insurance ? Cutting without full protection. Then cutting over your head. One way to cure baldness with the 346XP.  How's that workin for ya ? A no-no. Two no-no's  :o

Back to sitting on the butt, eating bon-bons, and watching soaps.

Homeowner out. :D

Rocky_J

downeast,
Sorry you seem to have taken offense at my post. I wasn't referring to your usage whatsoever, I was simply vouching for the 346 holding up to my full time commercial use for 8 years and still running strong. You said that the 346 didn't hold up to full time use for more than a couple years. Please tell me where I called you a 'homeowner' because I must have missed that part.  8)

downeast

Quote from: Rocky_J on April 15, 2010, 09:43:55 PM
downeast,
Sorry you seem to have taken offense at my post. I wasn't referring to your usage whatsoever, I was simply vouching for the 346 holding up to my full time commercial use for 8 years and still running strong. You said that the 346 didn't hold up to full time use for more than a couple years. Please tell me where I called you a 'homeowner' because I must have missed that part.  8)

No offense taken, or calling anyone anything. I'm Mr. Thick Skin.  :D  Many posts use the "pro" vs "homeowner" silliness too often. And what's with the "weekend" thing ?

Hey, there are many non-pro chainsaw users ( look at the G.O.L. and Stihl competitions for example) who out cut in all aspects most of the self-appointed pros: climbing, speed cuts, bore accuracy, felling targets. There are even 'girl' competitor classes .......and "Landowner" classes. Why not actually see one in your state ? Eyeopener.

BTW Rocky: us homeowner users would never cut over the jugular. Posting a video show of it is a bad example for the more inexperienced here. Unless of course, we have a Magical Thinking syndrome of Superman being able to control a kickback into your jugular.  ;D  Get those chaps on boy; taxes pay for E.R. and EMT care.
That's an order.

Shetland Sheepdog

I gots a 346XP (I bought) and 2 - 026 Pro's (inherited from FIL). They all get the job done! If I was backed into a corner, and had to keep only one, it would be the Husky! I'm pretty sure that my 346 is the 45cc model.
JMHO, HTH, Dave
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

downeast

Apologies for highjacking this thread with my rant---no excuse. But can we get rid of this "pro" vs "homeowner" thing ?

I've used the exaulted 346XP often. It is a highbread fussy that needs too much attention at work. The MS260 does not: it cuts well at any speed depending on the user's state. The caps are simple, easy to use, reliable. The easy-off filter cap also.
You're sometimes tired, sometimes clearing a messy hedge of blowdowns, often cold in our winter when starting a job--the 260 does it in all cases. The 346XP on the other hand ALWAYS needs WOT. Yes, I know you're supposed to cut at WOT, but it doesn't work like that in the real world.

The other concern is about reliability for those of us who choose to use one saw for most cutting. The 260 is an old (proven) design. Other than usual maintenance--sprockets, plugs, filters, lines, etc...--- the 260 is a go-to tool. Works and works. I don't give a flying %$#@&%* about that extra second of speed in a cut. This skilled user  ::) has dropped it running into water, snow, run over it, had trunks roll on it, it runs. It even ran badly when this skilled homeboy put oil in the fuel tank, mix in the oil tank. Kind of reminds us of the new improved standard issue rifles to replace the heavy, standby, slow M-1. The MTBR ( Mean Time Between Repair ) of the M-16 was terrible at first in combat ( before your time for most of you  :o). The newer M-4 and M-5 worse; 5% failure rate of these is deadly.

We'll see if the new , improved MS 261 super duper stratosphere saws match the 260. Anybody ?

And please, use your PPE and safe cutting.

Rocky_J

Why don't you quit with the 'pro' vs 'homeowner' thing. It's just you. I had a long explanatory post typed up but deleted it, you aren't worth the time.   ::)

downeast

Quote from: Rocky_J on April 16, 2010, 07:28:33 PM
Why don't you quit with the 'pro' vs 'homeowner' thing. It's just you. I had a long explanatory post typed up but deleted it, you aren't worth the time.   ::)

I am too (worth the time )  :D

And please, cut safe. Use PPE. It ain't macho to not do it right (double neg). We don need no stinkin "explanatory post" (2nd double neg). ::)

windthrown

Quote from: Rocky_J on April 11, 2010, 08:22:17 PM
The outboard clutch is only a big deal if you constantly throw chains.  ;D

I do not see the issue with OCs with throwing chains. Never made any difference between OC or IC saws to put a thrown chain back on, or swap bars or chains for that matter. Not that I throw many chains, I cannot recall the last one, really.

The reason I do not like OCs is that I swap rims a lot when using differenet length bars. I am not gonna pull the clutch just to swap rims on my saws.

windthrown

I dumped my last 026 Pro for a 346 with the outboard clutch in order to escape the outrageous proprietary parts costs and the horrendous fixed jet carbs they were using at the time. Stihl finally got smart and gave up the fixed jet carbs but by then it was too late for me. I was unwilling to go back to a saw with the same weight, higher cost and half the power. My oldest 346 is now about 8 years old and is still my 'go to' limbing and smaller bucking saw.

Fixed jet carbs... they did not have them for very long. None of my 026s has a fixed jet in there. The best carb for them is the Walbro WT-194. They can be had for about $30, new. No not from Stihl.

Half the power, eh? Now I can see why some of your posts are so... distorted here... amusing. Bucking with a 346? More amusment. I would never reach for a 45 or 50cc saw for bucking duty. Even my ported 026s. But what the buck...  

downeast

Quote from: windthrown on April 17, 2010, 11:51:49 PM

Fixed jet carbs... they did not have them for very long. None of my 026s has a fixed jet in there. The best carb for them is the Walbro WT-194. They can be had for about $30, new. No not from Stihl.

Half the power, eh? Now I can see why some of your posts are so... distorted here... amusing. Bucking with a 346? More amusment. I would never reach for a 45 or 50cc saw for bucking duty. Even my ported 026s. But what the buck...

What the buck, right.
Remember a couple of things: first, we Easterners don't have your oh so soft 100"+  DBH monsters to buck. Most of our stuff is in the +/-24" range and smaller very hard wood. Very. :(
And second, you will find as you reach into the 3 score bracket, lighter is better. The wind diminishes. Strength drops. Endurance kicks the BUCKet (get it?). Not a pretty sight.
Old injuries that we ignored or "pushed through the pain" rear up and bite your a$$. Any airbourne around ?
So, we look for power in a lighter and smaller package such as the old, but revered MS260. Stihl did make some serious engineering error that were quickly corrected such as fixed carbs. Their flip caps are a godsend for us cutting in cold, in snow. The toolless filters are another wonder. Someone once said better than silicone.

rbtree

3 score bracket...? Guffaw!! I'm working on my 7th decade...and going rather strong, thank you verddy much.

Of course, running almost all woods ported saws helps out.

I sold my first ported 346 to a bud. Got it from Lllamabert John, ported by Dennis Greffard about 2001. My second, and a 5100, were done by Ed Heard several years ago. Running strong, years later. But my go to 3 cuber, for *DanG near anything up to 24", aloft or on the ground, is my Slinger 346NE. 54% faster than stock. Yes, the man can build a saw! Broaaaaaaaad torque band. Saw would pull a 24 inch bar with ease in softwood, if I was inclined to try it. I'm not. That's what my 3 ported 372 and 7900 Dolmars are for, or the 3 that are stock or just muffler modded. They are why my 660 mostly sits unused---it'll eventually be for sale when I get Slinger to port a 390 for me!

windthrown

I picked an old 'tired' 026s from Andy (Woodinville, WA) in a saw deal late last year. Andy said it was a tree servie comapny saw that he never got around to finishing. I wonder... maybe an old Roger saw? I popped in new rings and lightly ported it and it SCREAMED! Guy I was cutting with late last fall liked it so much he made me an offer I could not refuse. Heck, I had 4 other 026s.

I am merely in my early 50's. But really, I do not buck with my 50cc saws, even my other ported 026s. I am a firm believer in using the smallest saw that I can get away with, and I only have 50-70cc saws. No more 066. No more 460. No more 025s. For me the issue is not so much weight as is AV. Vibratoin is your enemy in chainsaws. Also time. We have a lot of soft and hard wood here, and I am not talking about bucking up 4" DBH trees. For that I use my 044. Most bucking logs around here are 2 feet and less. But with a 50cc saw you will be there for a while bucking, even in 12-18 inch wood. For that I use one of my lovely 361s. For noodling, bucking, or firewood scrounging, they work great. Light, good AV, good power, done. When I was falling and thinning more, I used the 50cc saws for topping and thinning smaller stuff, as well as limbing. They are great for that. But you get below the top cuts and start bucking lengths for the mill or into rounds for firewood, the larger saws are needed.

Cut4fun

Quote from: downeast on April 16, 2010, 08:22:52 AM
us homeowner users would never cut over the jugular. Posting a video show of it is a bad example for the more inexperienced here. Unless of course, we have a Magical Thinking syndrome of Superman being able to control a kickback into your jugular.  ;D  Get those chaps on boy; taxes pay for E.R. and EMT care.
That's an order.

Harry Homeowner here smiley_whacko

I never thought about it because I do it all the time with my 066 and sometimes even with my 084. 084 was when I was called in for some big trees after a storm and it was a  :-X doing so. Never even thought about the kick back at head level  smiley_curtain_peek.
Now if anything happens I guess I can blame Rocky for my stupid acts of a homeowner sawyer  :D. 

Rocky_J

I didn't reply to that unnecessary comment before because I couldn't think of an appropriate response without getting nasty. Actually, I still can't. But I'm not as stupid as downeast seems to assume I am. And I guess his eyesight isn't so good because at no time was my cut ever in line with my jugular.

(the rest of this post has been deleted out of respect for the forum management)

Cut4fun

I dont think I have my one handed limbing with the top handle saws down pat yet either. Any good how to's out there so a Harry Homeowner  smiley_whacko can get it right.  ;)

smiley_nananana  to the PPE police.

Just like some guy wanted people to wear gloves and hearing protection to a local gtg, after signing a release. Well I sign releases all the time to race and IMHO it would be more dangerous to wear gloves to race.  Hearing is good, but I need to hear the saw motor racing. So I made a choice and said   smiley_thumbsdown on that gtg.

Al_Smith

Oh I've heard it all too .Things like a top handle is not safe to use on the ground .It's not safe to soup up a top handle and things like that . I  just pretty much ignore comments like that because obviously the poster is unaware  of what he's talking about .

Shucks we raced the little things and had no problems  and even out ran some 3 cubers with the little darlins .--not however the 346's if that means anything .

Ha ,as for that GTG I think I'm going to pass too .We'd scare them to death if we showed up with our hot rods . 8)

SawTroll

Quote from: downeast on April 16, 2010, 07:22:08 PM
I've used the exaulted 346XP often. It is a highbread fussy that needs too much attention at work. The MS260 does not: it cuts well at any speed depending on the user's state. The caps are simple, easy to use, reliable. The easy-off filter cap also.
You're sometimes tired, sometimes clearing a messy hedge of blowdowns, often cold in our winter when starting a job--the 260 does it in all cases. The 346XP on the other hand ALWAYS needs WOT. Yes, I know you're supposed to cut at WOT, but it doesn't work like that in the real world.

The other concern is about reliability for those of us who choose to use one saw for most cutting. The 260 is an old (proven) design. Other than usual maintenance--sprockets, plugs, filters, lines, etc...--- the 260 is a go-to tool. Works and works. I don't give a flying %$#@&%* about that extra second of speed in a cut. This skilled user  ::) has dropped it running into water, snow, run over it, had trunks roll on it, it runs. It even ran badly when this skilled homeboy put oil in the fuel tank, mix in the oil tank. Kind of reminds us of the new improved standard issue rifles to replace the heavy, standby, slow M-1. The MTBR ( Mean Time Between Repair ) of the M-16 was terrible at first in combat ( before your time for most of you  :o). The newer M-4 and M-5 worse; 5% failure rate of these is deadly.

What a load of crap - ol' wives tales, free fantacy/wishful thinking, and Stihl mythology!   ::) ::) go_away

dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie!
Information collector.

John Mc

Quote from: SawTroll on April 30, 2010, 11:43:19 AM
Quote from: downeast on April 16, 2010, 07:22:08 PM

The other concern is about reliability for those of us who choose to use one saw for most cutting. The 260 is an old (proven) design. Other than usual maintenance--sprockets, plugs, filters, lines, etc...--- the 260 is a go-to tool. Works and works. I don't give a flying %$#@&%* about that extra second of speed in a cut. This skilled user  ::) has dropped it running into water, snow, run over it, had trunks roll on it, it runs. It even ran badly when this skilled homeboy put oil in the fuel tank, mix in the oil tank. Kind of reminds us of the new improved standard issue rifles to replace the heavy, standby, slow M-1. The MTBR ( Mean Time Between Repair ) of the M-16 was terrible at first in combat ( before your time for most of you  :o). The newer M-4 and M-5 worse; 5% failure rate of these is deadly.

What a load of crap - ol' wives tales, free fantacy/wishful thinking, and Stihl mythology!  

While I might not have put it quite so bluntly, I have to agree with Saw Troll. The 346XP didn't get to be one the most highly thought of saws in it's category by being a "highbread fussy that needs too much attention at work". It's not just racers and tinkerers who are buying this saw. If I didn't already own a saw in this size range (bought before the 346XP came out), I'd be shopping for a 346.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

LeeB

I like my 346. Can't compare to stihls because I never owned one for more than a couple of days. It was too fussy and flooded every time I tried to start it. Granted, it was a 361 and not a 260, but it was what led me to buy the 346 instead. My other saw is a 372 and it has been going strong for about 8 years with only a clutch change a few months abck. That was why I bought the 346 so I had something to use while working onn the 372. I guess I do have another stihl, a 180 that never gets used because it just won't start worth a DanG. The only other saw I ever owned was an old homelight that is still around my shop somewhere.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ihookem

Well, I got my 026 back this week. It runs better but not much worth bragging about. I stihl don't understand why my 034 kicks my 026 and is only 1/2 horse more. Any reasons for this? I love my 034, my 026 is ok for 6" and smaller.

ihookem

No reason why my 034 kick my 026? There has to be a reason. My 034 is twice the saw.

SawTroll

Quote from: ihookem on May 06, 2010, 09:18:13 PM
No reason why my 034 kick my 026? There has to be a reason. My 034 is twice the saw.

The 034 should kick your 026, as it is a larger saw - but it should hardly be "twise the saw"...... ::)
Information collector.

ihookem

SawTroll

Quote from: ihookem on May 07, 2010, 10:05:23 PM
Could the 026 rpm's being set too low?

That is very likely, unless something is wrong with it - does it "four-stroke" (or "burble") in the cut?
Information collector.

Rocky_J

I just got another 'new' 346 in the mail yesterday. The 'new' one (on the left) is a 2001 model. My ratty looking 'old' 346 on the right is a 2002 model.  8)

Al_Smith

While I will agree a 346 is most likely a much more powerful saw than an 026 some day I hope to acquire an 026 .Just for the simple fact just see for myself if I can rework one to out run a 346 . It's just a challange else why would anyone spend so many hours working on them . :D--you never know if you never try ---

Rocky_J

My old 346's putt along pretty well considering their age.  8)  And the log is a quarter of that big oak tree stump which I cut down about 6 months ago, a lot harder than pine or ash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo-x97ChujA

ladylake

Just like on the other forum , guys cutting half rotten wood trying to impresss us.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Rocky_J

Was all I could find on short notice today, Steve. Of my friends with wood yards nearby, one is out of town and the other changed the combination to the gate lock recently (due to employee turnover) and I don't have the new combination. This tree is 4 blocks from my house and he was home.

Chain was cutting a bit slow since it was untouched off the roll. I was looking for an equal comparison between the two saws, touching up the chains would have introduced another human factor that could have skewed the comparison.

downeast

Quote from: Rocky_J on May 09, 2010, 05:32:02 PM
My old 346's putt along pretty well considering their age.  8)  And the log is a quarter of that big oak tree stump which I cut down about 6 months ago, a lot harder than pine or ash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo-x97ChujA

There you go again R.J., cutting nude. ;D
No, nada, nothing for protection. No helmet, no gloves, sandals  :D(perhaps?), no chaps. Not only a bad example from a pro, but dangerous for Florida taxpayers when they have to pay for the EMTs and ER and FD.
The video is a kind of what not to do. :o

SawTroll

Quote from: downeast on May 24, 2010, 09:23:13 AM
There you go again R.J., cutting nude. ;D
No, nada, nothing for protection. No helmet, no gloves, sandals  :D(perhaps?), no chaps. Not only a bad example from a pro, but dangerous for Florida taxpayers when they have to pay for the EMTs and ER and FD.
The video is a kind of what not to do. :o

"Politically" incorrect - but he sure knows what he is doing, and the risk level in that sort of cutting is very low!   ;)
Information collector.

John Mc

While I'm a proponent of using the proper protective equipment, he does have hearing and eye protection. He's not felling and the risk of being hit from falling debris is minimal-to-nonexistent, so a helmet doesn't get him much. I'll occasionally do the same with my headgear when there are no overhead hazards - wearing a helmet for extended periods aggravates an old wrestling neck injury, resulting in a couple of trips to the chiropractor after a long session of helmet wearing (I still haven't figured out how something so light can throw my neck out of whack, but it does).

Rocky and I do share one habit that I've been trying to break myself of (with only partial success): laying your left thumb along the left hand grip, rather than wrapping it around for a more positive grip.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

downeast

Quote from: John Mc on May 24, 2010, 10:37:34 AM
While I'm a proponent of using the proper protective equipment, he does have hearing and eye protection. He's not felling and the risk of being hit from falling debris is minimal-to-nonexistent, so a helmet doesn't get him much. I'll occasionally do the same with my headgear when there are no overhead hazards - wearing a helmet for extended periods aggravates an old wrestling neck injury, resulting in a couple of trips to the chiropractor after a long session of helmet wearing (I still haven't figured out how something so light can throw my neck out of whack, but it does).
Rocky ad I do share one habit that I've been trying to break myself of (with only partial success): laying your left thumb along the left hand grip, rather than wrapping it around for a more positive grip.
John Mc

Sorry guys, if you're a "pro" don't demonstrate bad habits for the 1000's of neophytes that view this. Bad form.
Chainsaws are like firearms, explosives, jumping : no matter how experienced, you never know all that can kill you. Period. 1/2 a PPE is kinda like being ALMOST PREGNANT.
No one can handle kickback. No one, even Clark Kent. How fast is that chain (especially in the great super 346 ) running at WOT ?

"Politically" incorrect - but he sure knows what he is doing, and the risk level in that sort of cutting is very low! SawTroll

Don't know about that ST. How do we know that "he knows what he is doing" ? Does anyone really know what could be in that cut --say barbed wire, a 9mm round, spike ?

Feel free to use and cut any way you want, you're adults and free. But don't show bad practice. Politically correct now ? ;D

beenthere

Good video.
Sure, chaps and a ton of extra gloves, boots, helmet, face shield, ear muffs, and there will be more "PC" stuff to add to that list next year or soon after. (just give the rule-dreamers some time at their desk writing them up)

All the safety hype spends more of our money and the taxpayers money than ever could account for the medical bills. Albeit, I don't like to see blood either, and wear the chaps when it is not too warm. I don't think I'd ever get anything done with a saw if I were in FL.  :)

I also don't think piling all the paraphanelia and guilt trip on to the "neophytes" helps all too much either.  :)  JMO

Good video, and its purpose was to show the chainsaws cutting wood. Very well done..and I didn't detect any difference. Did you?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_J

Well if all the thousand of rookies and neophytes here will be permanently harmed by accidentally seeing me running a chainsaw without a helmet and chaps, then maybe I'm hanging out at the wrong forum. I didn't know this was Arboristsite.  ::)

Downeast, you are really starting to irritate me. Why don't you go take a long walk on a short pier. Or maybe I'll just quit contributing anything here and all you rookies can play amongst yourselves.
>:(

The single biggest drawback of this particular forum software is that there is no 'ignore' function to block out idiot users. If there were, then I could ignore you and you could ignore me since you don't seem to like me or my posts.

Cut4fun

Quote from: Rocky_J on May 24, 2010, 12:42:24 PM
Well if all the thousand of rookies and neophytes here will be permanently harmed by accidentally seeing me running a chainsaw without a helmet and chaps, then maybe I'm hanging out at the wrong forum. I didn't know this was Arboristsite.  ::)

Downeast, you are really starting to irritate me. Why don't you go take a long walk on a short pier. Or maybe I'll just quit contributing anything here and all you rookies can play amongst yourselves.
>:(

Tell'm Rocky. I cant  stand  smiley_thumbsdown smiley_furious ppe police.

I agree he would fit right in with those clowns over there.  dadgum you, Charlie!

Just make the video's and have fun like I do,  smiley_hanged the ppe police.

Maybe he would like the one video I just made with 30" bar cutting 21" and NO chain break, no hand guard or safety crap on saw. Wearing sweatpants, no gloves, no face shield, no hard hat, no hearing protection. Take a flying hike off a tall building dude.  :-*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqXOHsQE3Wk

ladylake

I'd be wearing hearing protection with that saw.  That big Dolmar cuts.    Steve

beenthere

Nice to hear a saw when it is working well in the cut.  :)

Steve
I didn't hear what you said..  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

I know what you mean , I can't hear good out of my left ear from trap shooting when I was younger without muffs. I'm going to try and keep the right ear hearing good.   Steve

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on May 24, 2010, 02:36:04 PM
Nice to hear a saw when it is working well in the cut.  :)

Steve
I didn't hear what you said..  ;D

I never wear hearing protection when running saws, I like the sound of them, and want to hear what is happening.

My hearing was destroyed by rock music and guns, not by saws!
Information collector.

downeast

Quote from: Rocky_J on May 24, 2010, 12:42:24 PM
Well if all the thousand of rookies and neophytes here will be permanently harmed by accidentally seeing me running a chainsaw without a helmet and chaps, then maybe I'm hanging out at the wrong forum. I didn't know this was Arboristsite.  ::)

Downeast, you are really starting to irritate me. Why don't you go take a long walk on a short pier. Or maybe I'll just quit contributing anything here and all you rookies can play amongst yourselves.   >:(

The single biggest drawback of this particular forum software is that there is no 'ignore' function to block out idiot users. If there were, then I could ignore you and you could ignore me since you don't seem to like me or my posts.

Hey boy, you deserve being "irritated". Who cares. The point: too many of you brag about being oh so pro. Act it. In this system taxes pay for emergency care. You all can wear what the H you want. Please sign the form that says:" since I am too stupid to use simple protection, I will not accept any free care. I will pay for private EMTs, the private ambulance, the ER.' Signed and notarized by Mr Rocky J. And that includes Norway!

Why would anyone want to hire fools with risky behavior on their property ? ::) No one we know. 

Forget guilt. You want to pout about being "liked" ?  Poor baby. Your posts can be informed, can be Forest Gump. Not important.

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way." Lead means lead. And the others who agree with the Rocky show, fine. You're free.  ;)

Idiot out.  ;D

JohnG28

I think all this is going a little too far.  If you dont care for someone here its easy enough to ignore them, but no need to antagonize people just for the sake of doing so.  Come on guys, we are all adults here, and if some of us choose to do something one way or another, thats that persons business. Is PPE a good thing, yes, and using PPE has its obvious benefits.  But if a guy chooses not to, its their business.  Sure its bad practice, and the risks are obvious, and yes its a bad thing to push on others, but no need for all this. Nobody is condoning unsafe practice here. I have and use chaps, gloves, helmet...but if I have a quick cut or two, Im confident that my use of caution and knowing what im doing will most likely be enough. And Im not a pro, not even close.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

Quote from: JohnG28 on May 25, 2010, 04:46:16 PM
...   Im confident that my use of caution and knowing what im doing will most likely be enough. And Im not a pro, not even close.

Exactly - the most important PPE is your brain anyway!   8) 8) 8)
Information collector.

Jeff

Okay, here it is. Once, plain and simple.

I do not want to see this sort of behavior on my forum. PERIOD.  I don't want to hear its his fault. I don't want to hear He started it. I don't want to hear anything.  You all know how I run the Forestry Forum and each one of you know that this exchange is well beyond anything I'll tolerate.   
One more word, one more exchange in public like this and I'll just start banning the ability to post and there may be a good chance that its You I ban (whoever you happens to be). If you feel the need to tell one another how much you love each other, do it in private.

You must enjoy something about this forum or you would not be here mucking it up, so DONT MUCK IT UP. I won't stand for anybody that wants to alter the family atmosphere I've tried to maintain for almost a decade now.

Go to your rooms little boys before daddy gets the belt.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ihookem

Wow, Jeff , I actually heard my dad's voice for a second in the middle of my flashback.

Thank You Sponsors!