iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new 57 year old stihl chainsaw

Started by bck, October 17, 2008, 11:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bck

seen it on ebay and know its probably alot of chainsaw collectors on here. Sale ends this weekend, I dont know seller just saw it on ebay. Seller says saw is a 1951 model stihl lightning 8hp saw that has never been run.  Looks to be a great find for a serious collector ???

SawTroll

Quote from: bck on October 17, 2008, 11:13:03 PM
seen it on ebay and know its probably alot of chainsaw collectors on here. Sale ends this weekend, I dont know seller just saw it on ebay. Seller says saw is a 1951 model stihl lightning 8hp saw that has never been run.  Looks to be a great find for a serious collector ???

That one isn't a 1951, they didn't appear before the very late 1950s.

If it is 8hp, it has to be a 137cc S version, not the regular Lightning.
Information collector.

bck

I dont have a clue, seller states in the listing that somebody told him the last two numbers in the serial number was the date. Would this be correct for a stihl saw ?

sawcollector

Quote from: bck on October 18, 2008, 09:26:12 PM
I dont have a clue, seller states in the listing that somebody told him the last two numbers in the serial number was the date. Would this be correct for a stihl saw ?

No, the serial number has nothing to do with the date.
The Lightning came out in 1959 in the US, it was a Contra in EU, but eventually some had both names on the cover. Production stopped in 1968. The 070 and 090 started in 1968.

SawTroll

Quote from: sawcollector on October 20, 2008, 07:47:27 PM
Quote from: bck on October 18, 2008, 09:26:12 PM

No, the serial number has nothing to do with the date.
The Lightning came out in 1959 in the US, it was a Contra in EU, but eventually some had both names on the cover. Production stopped in 1968. The 070 and 090 started in 1968.

Right!   :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!