iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to buy a new one ton without breaking the bank?

Started by GRANITEstateMP, December 23, 2017, 03:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLink

A friend bought a GMC W4500 (an older one) which is actually an Isuzu with a small 4 cylinder diesel and duals. It isn't fast but it will hauls a nice load.
Haven't pulled a trailer with it yet.
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

snowstorm

What the truck going to be used For? Some tend to over load a one ton. A 450 or 550has real truck tires. 19.5. A 550 is geared low. 4.88 rear for the diesel and 5.13 gas. The diesel trans since 2011 has 2 over drives. The 550 I have weights more than one might think.with the plow and wing gear and m g side dump sander body. It's 13200 with out the plows. Then put 5 yds.  of winter sand in it around 25000

sawguy21

I don't know the laws in your state. Is anything bigger than an F-350 going to require commercial tags and insurance?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 24, 2017, 11:31:01 PM
I don't know the laws in your state. Is anything bigger than an F-350 going to require commercial tags and insurance?

I know in my case I was looking at a f550 to replace my 250 and my insurance company said I needed commercial insurance even if the truck had farm plates. When I found out how much it was going to cost I figured I would just stick with the f250 I had because for the savings in insurance alone I can take lots of extra trips hauling things.

GRANITEstateMP

Well it's good to see I'm not the only person that's been down this road! Thanks to Bruno, I've got my eye on a 15, single rear wheel AND 3500.  It's gonna be used for hauling my dump trailer, plowing (couple driveways, farm, some field s for winter manure drops), and an equipment trailer.  It fits my budget, and somebody else paid the NEW truck price  ;D.  Still looking around, but they'll get a call for sure.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

sandhills

Was looking on govdeals.com the other night, if it's any interest they had a '12 F450 diesel that was an ambulance, now just cab/chassis.  Nice looking rig, I believe it has 112k miles and the bid was at 7800 or so then, I believe tomorrow is ending date for the sale.  It had a long frame with air ride on the rear axle, I don't know if that means it would have air brakes as well?  Description said no known issues taken out of service do to age.  DRW but only 2WD.

shinnlinger

My neighbor was a diesel guy for a long time but recently went back to gas.  He said that unless your drive over 25k a year, it aint worth the price difference.  He is probably right unless you just have to have the towing.

One thing you might look at is those overcab trucks or medium duty trucks.   they are usually no frills and Ive seen some good deals.  I have an old f-600 that every time I think of getting rid of another use comes up and I know Ill never overload it.   

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

GRANITEstateMP

Big thanks to Bruno for pointing me in a Northern direction!  Ended up at Newport Chevrolet right here in NH.

I ended up with a 2015 GMC 3500 single rear wheel.  I really wanted duals BUT my budget didn't!  They were more than fair on  my trade in and I got a pretty good deal on the new rig (it helps that it has a Sent in a cab corner!).  It's got a date at my buddy's body shop to fix the cab corner and I'll get the new Fisher plow ordered on Tues when I'm back at work (9.6 v so when I get a dually it'll fit that too).  Fingers crossed I get 10 years out of this rig, just like the last one!  MY oil Undercoat as soon as the weather is nice too!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

maple flats

I have an 2011 F350 diesel, crew cab, 8' bed, 4x4 with single rears, so far I like it (I've only had it since June). Others are correct, a diesel is only a good option if you haul a trailer a lot, which is what I got mine for. I pd $17500 for mine and it had 178,000M on it. It was an Oklahoma truck until 8 months before I got it, so it had no rust like NY trucks of that age do. I used to be all gas, until my previous truck, it was a 7.3 diesel. I had such good luck with that so I wanted another diesel. My BIL is a great diesel mechanic if I need one.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!