iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain Selection Stihl MS 193T

Started by Hooterspfld, October 26, 2019, 10:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooterspfld

Ok, just trying to get all my lingo together and figure its easier to go to the experts. Looking to get a couple chains for my Stihl MS 193T. I've used it sparingly thus far and am still using the chain that came with it. (I bought the saw used)

The bar is marked 3/8P .050 14" (so it's a 3/8" Low Pro Pitch, .050 Guage and 50 Drive Links)

The markings on the current chain are Oregon and 91

The chains I purchased are Stihl 63PM3 because that's the only chain the store had that I thought would fit. Is this the correct chain? What chain is the Oregon 91? (VS, VX, or VXL) Would any of those Oregon chains work? And what other Stihl chains will work? What's difference between 63PM, 63PM3, 63PMX, I'm assuming these 3 chains would also work on this saw.

Thanks for any input!

lxskllr

PM is yellow chain, PM3 is green chain(presumably 3rd gen). Dunno about PMX. That's all I've got.

edit:
Here's Stihl's chain guide(pdf)...

https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/downloads/STIHL-Saw-Chain-Selection-Identification.pdf

Hooterspfld

Thanks lxskllr,

Looking at the current chain, it's not a safty chain judging by the cutter guides. Guess I'll order some 63PM from ebay and hope it gets here in time. If not I'm sure the green chain will work just fine. I was really happy how the current chain ran, so I'm really just trying to replicate the experience. 

sawguy21

The 63PM series is a direct replacement for the Oregon 91, the 3 and X refer to the style of the cutter. General consensus is the Stihl chain is a bit harder so holds an edge better than Oregon, I have not used Stihl so can't verify the claims.
The Oregon VX and VXL are relatively new cutter designs, I have tried the VXL and was impressed, fast and smooth. Try both and see which you like better. Unless cutting speed is an issue stay with the green chain particularily if you are working in the tree which what your saw is designed for.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Hooterspfld

Thanks sawguy!

I've got the Stihl green chain I bought, a Stihl yellow chain on order and an Oregon VXL chain coming too! Depending on performance, Oregon chain was $12 vs. $18 for Stihl yellow online or $20 for Stihl green in town. Hoping the Oregon chain does it's job cause I sure like the price!

Thank You Sponsors!