iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modifying 372 XP

Started by TJACK, March 15, 2003, 07:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJACK

I just removed the muffler from my 372 XP and after a thorough review am looking for some advice.  Should I cut the three spot welds that attach the deflector to the main can, so I can get to the port under the spark arrester or is there a better way (spark arrester is removed with a screw)? My goal is to match the exhaust size to the intake size on the muffler.   I have a mig welder, so re-attaching the deflector will not be an issue.  

I looked at the exhaust port on the cylinder and it is to my suprise, very smooth just coated with a black oily film.  Is there anything I should do to the exhaust port on the cylinder to improve the quicknesses of this saw or is the improvement to the exhaust enough.

Thanks,

TJACK

Oregon_Rob

TJACK,
After some advice, I cut a 7/16-1 1/8" slot through the front maunting bracket and muffler. That way you can really open it up and still put in the spark arrestor screen.

Rob 8)
Chainsaw Nerd

Oregon_Rob

Chainsaw Nerd

TJACK

Rob,

Thanks for the information.  I guess there is more than one way to accomplish the goal.  I was intending on removing the deflector and opening the port below to about the same size as the inlet.  The way you have explained by cutting the oval hole in the front looks easier, just have to get a screen.  Have you ever modified a muffler as I described?  If so, how well does it work?  What type of gains should I see with your design.

Thanks for your help.  If it works, I have a 359 next in line.

TJACK

TJACK

Rob,

I just looked at the photos again in the link.  Where can I get a larger deflector.

Thanks,

TJACK

Oregon_Rob

Power gains: there was a noticeable gain in power; I don't know how to quantify it. One option I didn't mention is to buy an already modified muffler from Walkers saw shop in BC, Canada. I think you would ultimately get even more power and I don't think they are all that expensive; the exchange rate helps a lot.

When you open up your muffler, be sure and check your carburetor adjustment. I don't know anything about your mechanic skills, so I will throw this in. Opening up the carb, can cause the saw to run a little on the lean side. Don't run any two cycle lean or you are heading for hard times.

If you are interested in parts, I suggest you contact Dennis Gaffard, he posts here as Dennis sometimes. He customizes saws to really get power and life out of saws and also builds racing saws.

Link to Walkers: http://www.walkerssawshop.com/index2.html
Chainsaw Nerd

Oregon_Rob

Chainsaw Nerd

Hotsaw

Hello all, If you really want a 372 that run's extremely well (or any saw of your choice) May I  suggest you contact
Ken Dunn  Ken is the master ,,costly and worth every penny
Or Dan Henry  Dan is a close second to Ken and has a fast turn around time and your best bang for you buck.

EDITED BY ADMIN (GIVING PERSONAL CONTACT INFO FOR ANOTHER PERSON IS FORBIDDEN)
https://forestryforum.com/disclaimer.htm

TJACK

Thanks for the advice.  I am mechanically inclined ( used to run and tune motorcross bikes and work on a DIRT Modified).  Therefore, I understand the link for adjusting the carburator, just need a good tach.  How much if any am I reducing the saw life.  Currently, I run all my saws at 40-1 using 93.5 Octane.  

Thanks again,

TJACK

Oregon_Rob

The info I have seen indicates that it should extend the life of a saw, mostly by making it run cooler.
Chainsaw Nerd

Thank You Sponsors!