iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

modified hot saws

Started by kiwis_rock, June 16, 2003, 04:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwis_rock

Hi   :)

Can I ask fella's a question, my name is Brett and I are really interested in Hot Saw's. ( I am logger by trade, and for the last two years I have been running my own ground based logging crew)

I currently have a modified Stihl  084 chainsaw, with a exspansion chamber, with a 8 tooth rim spocket which drives a 3/8 chain and runs on normal pump gas (91 octane).

Is there anyone out there that can tell me the proven exspansion chamber formula that works best for an 084 or 066.
Also does anyone know of any good websites deicated to Hot Saws?

Any advice, tips and tricks appreicated  ;D

Thanks
Brett

Rob

Hello and welcome to the Forum,

It's good to hear from a fellow logger,if you are really interested in learning more about hot saws an modified woods saws,I'll give you some excellent contacts

Ken Dunn : kdhotsaw@hotmail.com

Dan Henry : dozerdan@sunlink.net

Dennis Greffard : sorry but I dont remember Den's email but you can search here for "Dennis" and you'll find it.

all of these guys are excellent saw builders who will help you out,check your Private Messages at the top of the page and I will send you another link.

Rob.

Dennis

Brett, welcome.  There is a formula to figure out the length of the pipe, but I don't have it in front of me....what you will need to do, is tear your saw partially down and find the exhaust timing figure, as well as know what rpms you want to cut at.  Your exhaust figure should be known by whomever built your saw.  Who built your saw and expansion chamber?  Is it a two piece pipe or one?  By that I mean does it have a header and pipe...or is it all one piece?

Dennis
Just Log It.

kiwis_rock

hi Dennis
             thank you for reply it will be a great help.
             about the pipe, it has a u bend from the head then goes into cone shape then to a straight piece then a cone and  on to a straight piece of pipe 25mm round 200mm long.
the person who built it works in the air force as a sky hawk mechanic, but has bucket racing as a hobby[small two stroke motor bikes] cheers

Brett

Dennis

Brett....how are things coming with the modified saws??
Just Log It.

kiwis_rock

Hi Dennis  
               at the moment New Zealand is going through a logging slump, hundreds of men out work and contracters are walking away from machinery, as for myself layed the crew off and parked up the machines, as for the hot saws well moveing slow but hope to get nine or ten tooth rimsprocket maybe just a nine for the 084 from madsens but waiting for them to send me information about payment.
Also im in the process of getting the saws dyno tested as for the chains well still working on them ,read some of art marten notes great reading but what i want to ask you is do you guys sharpen your square ground with a machine or do you guys do it  free hand,we free hand our chains.
                     cheers Brett

Thank You Sponsors!